Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

What people are working on at the moment
ed
retired

#46 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by ed »

Paul Barker wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:08 am
Like. otoh you do know he is a friend of Nelson Pass.

Theres always pros and cons but dont throw the baby out with the bath water.
seriously?
and Andrew was a friend of Jeffrey Epstein
Last edited by ed on Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#47 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by pre65 »

ed wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:49 am

seriously?
and Andrew was a friend of Jeremy Epstein
Friendship comes in many forms - wink wink. :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#48 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by Paul Barker »

Agree
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#49 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by Paul Barker »

ed wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:49 am

seriously?
and Andrew was a friend of Jeffrey Epstein

You can always criticise a post but :

dont throw the baby out with the bath water still applies after youre added critique. It’s a critique I could apply to almost any post. I don’t often chose to.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Nick
Site Admin

#50 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by Nick »

You can always criticise a post but
Oh no you can't...
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#51 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:04 pm
You can always criticise a post but
Oh no you can't...
Look behind you ------ :lol:

Edmund Burke

ed
retired

#52 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by ed »

There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Paul Barker

#53 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by Paul Barker »

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#54 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by pre65 »

I like the blue voltmeters. :)

Edmund Burke

Paul Barker

#55 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by Paul Barker »

Thanks, they’ll monitor the -12 bias on output tubes but I’ll wire the meter positive because these don’t work negatively.
Paul Barker

#56 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by Paul Barker »

I havent trimmed the suplus off the electrical machine screws yet as might use as fixing posts for resistor board’s. After the first build I did when I was coming out from a long period of not building I kept changing my mind and also kepts thinking I would multi task the chassis, so its loaded with valve bases it doesnt need, and anyway isnt a concourse job by any stretch of the imagination.

As this amp isnt my design, and expectations are pretty safe from the provenance of the design, I dont have to think ahead all the time and get it right eventually, making holes all over the place that become redundant. This build is a first for me in the sense its basically a kit amp, except I have to make the kit. But huge benefit not having to be the brains behind the circuit.

Now I only have to think of how to mount the resistor boards without making more mounting points in the top plate. Unlike the 801@ which looks like a slice of Swiss Cheese. This is also why I chose electrical machine screws, they are machined to a high standad and verycheap, come in many sizes but shorten simply with pliers, and an ideal diameter to blend strength with fit. The usual options are 3mm or 4mm, 4 often too big, 3 often too weedy, and going locally shopping both sizes have very rough finish.

I’ll probably put some copper tubing front to back to screen the input as it traverses to the Allen Bradley volume pots because it has to pass the transformers. So if I dont rush that the copper tube would double up as the turret board mount, and provide behind the scenes modernity: Steam Punk. Still processing the idea for a while.

Obviously the ideal final case work would include a box covering transformers. First though theyre safe exposed, and its baby steps the way my mental unhealth is.
Paul Barker

#57 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by Paul Barker »

The B+ is planned off board. I have a pair of 400v 250VA power transformers ear marked. Obvs choke input, probs 572-160 smoothed. Still have another Big choke (30 henry @ 250mA). The signal section is ready for dual mono functioning, but Im not. Would need two matched big chokes. Curb on spending imposed by “ she who must be obeyed “. So I could hybrid after that choke or just build it combined power supply so it can run and leave monoblock option until later. Anyway in terms of spending, first thing is more 5k OPT’s, as the great ones I have are in good service. Maybe I can rewire The dominant drivers in the speakers for 16 ohm as there are two each, and see how that matches, then hunt for 16 ohm tweeters. But in any case 3k isnt a deal breaker. And anyway, after building the amp as if a kit amp, I could design my own “Raymond Bates” for the 2a3 for example.

I dont just want one amp at a time. Like for example this might go in my office. 801@ is comfortably sat under the tv playing apple tv through a Spitfire dac, which isnt as bad any more, since the wierd unexpected improvement when I halved the task of the VR tubes. Go figure? Just shows, you never know what might affect sound, and in a far greater way than power chord, interconnect, tube rolling often doesnt.
Paul Barker

#58 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by Paul Barker »

Paul Barker

#59 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by Paul Barker »

Decided to use one output transformer Mount using extender nuts, and heatshrinked it for proximity to voltages. Nice steady 5mm post. No dramas. One done one to do. Installed inverted due to convection cooling needs of hot resistors.

Swapped the wing nuts out.

Nice day in Scarborough

Paul Barker

#60 Re: Raymond Bates 1949 Direct Coupled 6V6

Post by Paul Barker »

Well I drilled and fettled 4 holes and mounted 4 items.