A new valve amplifier

We all start somewhere
ed
retired

#1 A new valve amplifier

Post by ed »

A friend called today asking about advice for a new budget valve amp, He'd been looking on ebay and seen all the nobsound offerings. From old knowledge I said hang fire and I'll have a look at what's available because I think nobsound is the cheaper end of the Chinese offerings and may not be optimum. Also the nobsound amps all seemed to be using valves I'd never heard of for hifi use.

so I had a look on ebay.....there is absolutely nothing to get excited about at all......the only reasonable quality seems to be from ancient uk amps at extortionate prices. I then looked for transformers as I could possibly build him something with all the valves I have in boxes. No transformers at any price.

So...anybody want to shift an old el84, WD or otherwise, at a resonable price.?????

I'm not sure what his speakers are yet and I've got him thinking about budget phono preamps as he wants this primarily to resurrect his record collection.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
steve s
Shed dweller

#2 Re: A new valve amplifier

Post by steve s »

I've got an old pp el84 amp somewhere ed, it's not a wd.. more like a fiy mullard amp, as far as I know it's got good quality txs but more than likely needs a rebuild.. give me a ring if your interested. I think I paid around a couple of hundred quite a few years ago, I'd need to find it..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#3 Re: A new valve amplifier

Post by Ray P »

Maybe a bit low in available Watts?

https://spudkit.com/?page_id=13
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#4 Re: A new valve amplifier

Post by Ray P »

Sorry, I couldn't resist!