Valve anode voltage.

We all start somewhere
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Valve anode voltage.

Post by pre65 »

I'm embarrassed to ask this question, but perhaps others might not know either.

I tried Google, and looked in MJ's book, but can't seem to find the answer.

When a valve data sheet lists recommended settings, is the anode voltage inclusive, or exclusive of the cathode voltage ?

So, if anode V = 135V, and cathode is 9V, what should the voltage at the anode be, 135V or 144V ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: Valve anode voltage.

Post by Nick »

When a valve data sheet lists recommended settings, is the anode voltage inclusive, or exclusive of the cathode voltage ?
Repeat after me, the valve only knows the voltage at its pins :-)

Its the potential difference between the cathode pin and the anode pin.
So, if anode V = 135V, and cathode is 9V, what should the voltage at the anode be, 135V or 144V ?
I don't know how to parse that question so I can't give the correct answer.

I think you mean 144v. Remember there is no real 0v
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Valve anode voltage.

Post by IslandPink »

Just to expand on what Nick has said, the valve datasheet is going to show anode voltages, and the grid lines ( for A1 ) will be labelled in negative volts. So it's all assuming cathode = 0.
Hence in the example you've given, grid is likely to be -9V, so if you use auto-bias, then as you say, cathode will be +9 , grid 0V, and anode 144V relative to the amp earth.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nick
Site Admin

#4 Re: Valve anode voltage.

Post by Nick »

Hence in the example you've given, grid is likely to be -9V, so if you use auto-bias, then as you say, cathode will be +9 , grid 0V, and anode 144V relative to the amp earth.
And the valve will see Anode +135v, Grid -9v, Cathode 0v. Valve voltages normally assume the cathode is the voltage reference point. Such a standard over the years that they never thought it was worth saying.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#5 Re: Valve anode voltage.

Post by Paul Barker »

Nick wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:11 pm
And the valve will see Anode +135v, Grid -9v, Cathode 0v. Valve voltages normally assume the cathode is the voltage reference point. Such a standard over the years that they never thought it was worth saying.
When it does have to be said, it’s like pulling teeth.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#6 Re: Valve anode voltage.

Post by Paul Barker »

I think the problem is majority of people don’t construct an internal view by getting inside the world of a valve so it’s not as clear as day thought it ought to be. A bit like why differently conceived members of human race can’t parallel park or play the piano.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein