Line speakers and amps.

We all start somewhere
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Line speakers and amps.

Post by pre65 »

I've been asked to look at an amp and speakers that have been donated to the church in my village.

The speakers have line transformers fitted, but when wired up to the 100v line output on the amp there is no sound. :?

I put a multimeter on the 100v and 70v taps and no voltage is shown, should there be ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: Line speakers and amps.

Post by Nick »

I put a multimeter on the 100v and 70v taps and no voltage is shown, should there be ?
DC, no, AC, when playing music, Yes.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Line speakers and amps.

Post by Dave the bass »

Be very wary of getting a shock if the Amp is working when working on 100V line stuff Phil, it really hurts, I speak from unfortunate experience.

In the mid 80's I was working on a schools 'combined broadcast system' which was 2 x 100W 100V line amps that fed PA announcements, class change 'pips' and the fire alarm signal over the entire site. I was trying to find a line fault with the system live (I know, I know...) and some oik set off the Fire Alarm which was a 400Hz squarewave fed into the amps running flat out. I copped it good and proper.

It's still the most painful and upsetting electrical shock I've ever had. I felt very ill and disorientated afterwards.

Be careful Popz.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
chris661
Shed dweller

#4 Re: Line speakers and amps.

Post by chris661 »

If the amp has 100v line outs, then I've definitely expect to see AC voltage (as Nick notes) there.

The amp is also likely to have 8ohm terminals, bypassing the step-up transformer. You could try putting a test speaker (nothing too fragile) across those and see what you get. Check for DC voltage there beforehand.

If that checks fine, the next step would be continuity between the 8ohm terminals and the 100v tap. I'd expect a few hundred ohms at most.

Chris