Super capacitors

We all start somewhere
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#31 Re: Super capacitors

Post by Mike H »

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
rowuk
Old Hand

#32 Re: Super capacitors

Post by rowuk »

My best results are with LC power supplies. Then smaller caps can sound really like...NOTHING.

The smallest sonic footprint of any power supply that I have built has been this way.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
Max N
Old Hand

#33 Re: Super capacitors

Post by Max N »

Does a battery supply solve any of these problems?
When Chord decided to do a desktop version of their Hugo DAC, I think they retained the battery supply?
Nick
Site Admin

#34 Re: Super capacitors

Post by Nick »

Not so much as you still have the problem of finding a battery chemistry that produces the correct voltage or you are adding a regulator to the output, and you still have the charging and discharge voltage variation. Nothing that a battery supplying a regulator doesn't solve, but a transformer supplying a regulator does the same job (though maybe not with as much of a marketing win).
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#35 Re: Super capacitors

Post by IslandPink »

:D
rowuk wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:10 pm The smallest sonic footprint of any power supply that I have built has been this way.
Now try shunt-regulated !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"