Toroidal transformer positioning

We all start somewhere
IDM
Old Hand

#1 Toroidal transformer positioning

Post by IDM »

Hi,

I am trying to squeeze a lot of PSU parts into a case (larger case is not an option that I want to pursue). One way of getting everything in is to mount the rather large smoothing caps on a board just above the transformer. The gap would be tiny. Alternatively I could explore stacking two toroidal transformers on top of each other. All I know about toroidal transformers is that you cannot make a connected loop via the central bolt as this will induce a current. So my question is which is the best option and are there any real issues with the two ideas have proposed?

Cheers
Ian
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Have you got room to mount the toroids on their sides ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
IDM
Old Hand

Post by IDM »

That a thought, I will have to check when I get home from work. I think it might be pretty tight though.

Cheers
Ian
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Alternatively I could explore stacking two toroidal transformers on top of each other.
I wouldn't, I'm sure there'd by high inductive coupling between the two.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
rowuk
Old Hand

#5 It is what it is.......

Post by rowuk »

What are the two transformers for? Generally we calculate backwards from the expected performance. If the final result is a problem, then you have a small box full of parts, but whatever it is connected to could be performing so far away from what is required that it doesn't get used.

If you don't expect the transformers to get too hot, you can use cable ties to attach them to the case, then there is no bolt acting as a common core. A grounded aluminium plate between them would minimize the flux interference.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
IDM
Old Hand

Post by IDM »

The transformers (there are several) are being used to supply 'raw' DC via an umbilical cable to a separate box where the 'raw' DC goes through super-regulators to generate +5V, -5V and -15V for a TDA1541a DAC. There are also transformers to generate a raw approx 130V and 9V. These supplies again are connected via umbilical to feed a high voltage super reg (as designed by Andrew) and the 9V feeds Andrews IDHT PSU. These are used for a valve output stage on the DAC.

My feeling is that the quality of the regulators will remove any noise coming from the PSU box. All the transformers are reasonably over specified so I do not anticipate any heat.

I think I have found a way of fiddling all the parts into the case without stacking the transformers.

Cheers
Ian