Low capacitance speaker cable

We all start somewhere
Greg
Social outcast

#1 Low capacitance speaker cable

Post by Greg »

I have just invested in the dark side and bought an NVA AP10P personal amp which principly is a head phone amplifier but it does accommodate speaker connections.

NVA state that their warrantee will be invalidated unless their own speaker cables are used with the amplifier. This seems harsh although I can't argue with it.

From my research, it would appear that the main issue is around capacitance and low capacitance is what is required.

My current valve system successfully uses a Cat5 cable design called TNT 'Twisted Twins' which I have been happy with for more or less a decade, but My understanding is that this is a high capacitance design.

I therefore need to find some affordable but good sounding low capacitance speaker cable so I can trial this new amp with my WAD (World Audio Design) KLS3 Mk1 speakers, easy load 90 dB.

All recommendations gratefully received. I don't consider I need to sign up to the NVA limitations and in anycase, their restriction would only become relevant if the amp blew up. Basic stuff from Maplin is fine with me if that is recommended. I just want to know what is the most affordable/best sound cable option.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

If you search on 'Audio Chews' forum you will find a fair bit of discussion on this subject as quite a few there use NVA amps . I seem to remember most of the discussion being skeptical about NVA's overly restrictive claims - especially from people like Colin of TQ . It may well be so that high or moderate capacitance is a risk though . See what you can find .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Thanks, Mark. I'll have a read up at Audio Chews. In the meantime, Nigel has some suitable stuff I can borrow.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
rowuk
Old Hand

#4 Can potentially dangerous gear even be sold in the UK?

Post by rowuk »

How can a manufacturer get away with producing something just waiting to blow up? It isn't like there is not a low cost solution - and what about using their cables and a capacitive speaker? Is this type of warranty legally possible in the UK?
Can a company produce automobiles and require that you wear their brand of shoes to keep your foot from slipping off the brake pedal?
What about Pizza with a requirement to purchase the manufacturers knives?

I hope that it at least sounds proper with headphones.
NVA AMPLIFIERS AND SPEAKER CABLES – WARRANTY

Only NVA LS1, LS2, LS3, LS5, LS6 and LS7 is recommended for use with this amplifier, other cables will invalidate the warranty.

For best sound the amplifier should be left powered up. Electricity consumption is very low. It is for this reason that the power switch is located on the back panel, where it may not be easy to reach. Turn the amplifier off when you do not intend to listen to it for extended periods.

NVA amplifiers are unique, and one thing that makes them so is the minimal compensation for the output stage. It is very possible to send this amplifier into oscillation by connecting too large a capacitive load on the output, the usual culprit being unsuitable speaker cable such as Litz or Goertz type constructions.

If you insist on using other cable (this will invalidate warranty) please ensure it is no more than 200pf per metre and it should not be used in lengths over 10 metres. If you wish to Bi-Wire this can only be done with NVA cable and they can be made that way on order for a small added cost.

For design performance only NVA Sound Cord, Super Sound Cord, Super Sound Pipe or T.I.S. Interconnects should be used, but this is for sonic as opposed to safety reasons.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Easy, Naim have done it for years! The claim is that eliminating an o/p inductor and resistor improves sound quality…I did the same when experimenting with the single chip 'gain clone' amps. In a similar vein with a valve amp like the old WAD KiT88 it could be prone to oscillation when connected to a capacitive load, strapping a Zobel on the back of the amp generally IME 'dulled' the sound somewhat so I can empathise with NVA's position.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
rowuk
Old Hand

#6 Bad is simply bad

Post by rowuk »

An amp prone to oscillation is simply a badly designed amp. An amp that gets the warrantee voided dependent on speaker wire is an exceptionally poor design. I could understand if the only sound quality went south, but we are talking about a voided warrantee for a 500 quid amp based on WIRE. A fuse could blow before the output stage went up in smoke.........

How would a customer with a dead amp even prove their innocence?
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

But it's not 'prone' to oscillation. It may oscillate if used outside of the manufactures recommendation. To use your rather tenuous car analogy would a car manufacture still warranty a car if you used the wrong fuel in it or say chiped the engine with a tuning box or updated ECU or fitted the wrong tyres or used the wrong engine oil etc etc
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.