Input transformers

We all start somewhere
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

pre65 wrote:
Nick wrote:Ok, so at 20ma, they are gapped, and I expect they are designed be driven by something like a 6sn7.
OK, thanks for that.

In your opinion, what would be a good way to use a transformer like these ?
If it's wound for 5khz an active super tweeter amplifier :D :D :D
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Well spotted Paul.

You are correct, found a bit more by digging deeper. :wink:

FREQUENCY RATING 5.0 KILOHERTZ MINIMUM AND 15.0 KILOHERTZ MAXIMUM SINGLE COMPONENT
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#18 Re: input transformers

Post by Mike H »

Steptoe wrote:Dear all, thank you for your comments but sadly you have grossly underestimated my degree of confusion. I haven't previously come across this way of describing a transformer but I thought that its impedance was a combination of inductance and DC resistance according to a complicated formula involving square roots of sums of squares, so a much higher DC resistance in one winding would give a false indication of the turns ratio.
Yeah but no but, you are right. Thought I'd tried to explain that, but obviously badly. :lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Steptoe
User

#19 input transformers

Post by Steptoe »

Thanks for that Paul. I am obviously worrying too much about the fine detail. I wrote a comment in beginners a couple of weeks ago to describe some ex GPO transformers which are similar in size to these and enclosed in a yellow can. They don"t have any markings but having dissected some I'm sure they are audio transformers of some sort. There are 2 types, the first as previously described and the other having 2 extra finer windings.
If you would like some to play with I would be delighted to send them next month and am certain from your comments on Phil"s that you would find them useful. I have hundreds of them. With best wishes, Steptoe.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Thank you, but I have too much junk of my own which I need to sort through and get rid of. your transformers as ex gpo will be wound for midrange voices only. Useless for full range audio.

Best bet is rewind them, but I am not the man for the job.

Not wanting you to take this rebuff badly, but what I don't need right now in my life is stuff I know I can't use and don't have the time to make into what I can use. Function is everything.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein