Shunt Mod Power Supplies

We all start somewhere
David
User

#1 Shunt Mod Power Supplies

Post by David »

I have a Broskie Shunt regulator psu sitting in my cupboard waiting to be built, and intended to replace a WD PSU3 (with a few mods).

Two questions:

1. Will this shunt mod psu outperform the WD psu (choke /capacitor)?

2. Presumably, the shunt regulator will work even better if fed smoothed power from the existing choke /capacitor?

The psu is powering an Aikido pre.

David
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

1. Hard to know, the point of the Aikido is its rejection of power supply noise.

2. I would expect so, yes.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
David
User

Post by David »

Thanks Nick, and as I expected. I think it's worth trying on the premise Broskie presumably wouldn't offer a shunt reg psu alongside his Aikido pres unless it was worthwhile.

I'll report back in due course!
David
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Well, Ford make many different cars, but they dont expect you to drive more than one at once :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
David
User

Post by David »

Isn't the analogy more that I'm still driving a Ford, just putting better fuel in the tank? :D
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Can you link us to a circuit ?
I'm familiar - having buit it - with the shunt-reg main power supply that he and Steve ( at that time) Bench designed , but this is clearly a smaller thing, would be interested to see what the shunt element is, valve or solid-state ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
David
User

Post by David »

Do you mean the circuit of the Janus shunt regulator? It may be on his site. Here's the description:

Product Description
The Janus shunt regulator made its first appearance in 2007 in the Tube CAD Journal. In a nutshell, the Janus shunt regulator is a tube-based regulator that uses both feedforward- and feedback-based shunt regulation to reject both the rectifier-induced power-supply noise and the signal-induced power-supply noise from its output. This implementation of the Janus regulator was designed to deliver between +250V to +300V worth of B+ voltage. The Janus regulator is not a DC voltage regulator, as it cannot maintain a fixed B+ voltage; instead, it works to eliminate any AC perturbations on its output voltage. In this way it is similar to a large inductor-filled power supply that bucks quick changes in output voltage, but allows slow DC voltage to vary with the wall voltage variations. In other words, with the Janus regulator, the output voltage will depend on the input voltage and the current drawn through the key series resistor. The Janus PCB also holds a low-voltage regulator circuit for the heaters.

If not, I can scan and e mail the circuit of eitherthe Pre or Shunt Regulator.
David
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

It strikes me that the sensible approach is to either built an Aikido or build the type of regulator described here, but to build both to work together would be a waste of resources of materials cost and time, compared to what else the money could be better spent on to contribute to the eventual sound.

i.e. the power supply got right negates the need for the Aikido and vice versa. get one right you are 90% there, build both you might be 95% there for double the cost.

Buy better valves speakers source or Iron with the money you save.

As Nick says John is selling kits. Someone who has a really sorted preamp may improve it with the power supply approach. someone without a preamp might better build an Aikido.

John will happy sell both, or two of each. doesn't mean you have to have both or 2 of each.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

I'm sure a valve-based Janus shunt reg would be great, David . I have seen those circuits , although as usual with JB, there were a lot of options & variants !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
David
User

Post by David »

For £30 for the kit, excluding valves, I can't really go wrong :P :P