more smps

We all start somewhere
ed
retired

Post by ed »

SteveTheShadow wrote:Nice when you hit that sound you just know is right.
I was like that with the KT120 push pull......then they updated iTunes.

I need another music player.

Is this the big purple coloured amp you're talking about here.
The breadboard version of this amp IIRC was bloody good :)
the very same....It's actually Peugeot red, but I like to think of it as crimson.....

I'm sorry to hear about your music player, I like many here will be eagerly watching for your solution.....
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Well done Ed, glad you got there in the end. :)

I've dug out my 811a amp to see what I've been missing. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
ed
retired

Post by ed »

pre65 wrote:Well done Ed, glad you got there in the end. :)

I've dug out my 811a amp to see what I've been missing. :wink:
:) I don't think you'll find what's missing with an 811a...... snigger

Hi James.....

I've read Rod's post(590) re smps and I think I might have to re-read a few times before I fully understand......not withstanding....I've measure the raging torrent between the ground and mains earth and its 0.05ma(4.8v across 100k @27khz)...There are other, much smaller participants at much higher frequencies but I can't get them to stand still long enough to measure them....

bottom line for me is that it works, and I don't think it's dangerous
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Hey, great news Ed .
I'll have to get going on the GK-71 amp when I get back from hols , then . Sounds like I should get another of those Sony 19.5V supplies and prepare for ( government ? ) the thoriated sound .
By the way I do have an unused pair of Taylor 572B's upstairs in the valve wardrobe :)
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
ed
retired

Post by ed »

an update on progress:

I have been listening to this for the last 3 weeks, about 3-4 hours per day. This has mainly involved going through the record collection trying to listen to the stuff I have mainly been listening to over the last 6 months......

My conclusion reinforces what I think I was sure about.....Hum obscures and hides detail..

This amp has no hum whatsoever and I can hear stuff(subtle, I admit) I wasn't aware of before, and it adds greatly to the overall presentation. This changes my perception of some musician's ability as the new rhythms and sub rhythms show how good some arrangements are.....new light indeed.......

It now makes me wonder if.......some amps show hum when connected to very efficient speakers, but the hum disappears when the same amp is connected to less efficient speakers. I had thought that scenario represented an improvement, now I'm not so sure.......

Get rid of the hum!! No compromise!!

I'm going to convert my 2A3s to aikido drive with smps/coleman heaters and see what happens. At that point I might be through.

I really think I've achieved something here and I'm glad I didn't give up on those SV valves.

edit:
there is a subtext here regarding exposing arrangements....when an established artist puts an album together they will liaise with the producer to get guests in..and sometimes the guests are given free reign to add as they see fit......so the arrangement is not always totally down to the original artist....anyway, it's still good to hear these additional bits.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Good news.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Ed, your findings echo exactly my own.
It's not until you get rid of hum, that you really hear your music properly.

Noise is the enemy!. :thumbup:
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.