SMPS

We all start somewhere
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

IslandPink wrote:Worth mentioning here, as well as the GK-71 thread, that a Dell 90W laptop SMPS ( 19.5V 4.62A ) goes into current protection & doesn't work, when connected to a cold GK-71 .
you can't be far off Mark because the 3.25 amp 20v laptop supply I am using to power the uTracer was heating the GM70 without a hitch. It might be how the particular smps's are designed.

I remember the switched mode lighting transformers having a part which porevented them working when insufficient current was drawn. they have a window of operation in both directions and won't do a thing outside that window.

My humungous computer supply I use to heat the pair of 833a's has to be started with a resistor in series which I switch out once the filaments have heated to an extent, as the cold filament is a dead short. this protects the filament too. that supply like most computer supplies must have a draw on the 5v rail, for which I use a TY4-400 which then I employ as a shunt valve since I have lit it.

Inspight of being on entirely the wrong thread I shall now digress. you are experimenting with bass tone and the effects on DC filament supplies on that. My best sounding 212 was heated with AC and hum was negated by insufficient power supply filtering. People liked it that day in my dining room, the one where the picture of me climbing over the packs of laminated floor to change a record, where I put a show of different 212 versions on the mantle piece. Someone must have a picture.

Ultimately my quest remains to work with AC.

It was the same AC heated version I took to Chris's flat when Morgan Jones and 7N7 were there, and we photographed a whole row of NOS 212's we had just imported together (Me Chris and Darren) from Australia. Te picture was used in the Triode Mafia front page.

That day on Chris's Martin Logan Panel the 212 was sublime, I thought I was hearing a Cello in 3d right where the speaker belonged. Wanderful experience.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Maybe that SMPS you used didn't have current protection, as it's only just sufficient to supply the GM70 warm . Interesting . I'll probably end up buying a second Sony 5.1A supply - they seem well made and well screened .

I've never tried hum cancellation, but it makes sense in many ways. Becomes more difficult once you have a shunt-reg supply though ! ( I suppose you just have to take off something from earlier in the supply ) .

I suppose the 212's you had that time at your house ( nearly 10 years ago ? ) were AC heated, then ? I can't remember myelf. It seems the easiest thing to lose in the DC heater options is the microdynamics and feeling of 'presence' in the music . I haven't fully got to the bottom of what's best in that regard ( for the driver valves ) but I'm a lot closer than I was a few weeks ago.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Filament supply business available : suitable owner has Dremel and supply of new capacitors :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17-x-Various- ... _102wt_958

:!:
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

IslandPink wrote: I suppose the 212's you had that time at your house ( nearly 10 years ago ? ) were AC heated, then ?
At my house it was AC, but at your house when I nearly burned your carpet when the 212 base arced high voltage and we all smelled Ozone, they were DC. Sound wasn't as good, but probably other contributing factors.

I used to use a simple DC Pull down regulator with 3055's as per the old Radio Ham Manuals.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
JamesD
Old Hand

Post by JamesD »

I guess the sound was influenced by the dielectric of the carpet...

Pure wool has a really nice comfortable sound and pure nylon sounds horrible and plasticy

I would think that some of the wool/synthetic mixes might work very well.... but only before melting...