Beginners regulated PSU.

We all start somewhere
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Nick wrote: I am trying to decide if the 100uf after the series R is a good or bad idea.
I my experience it sounds worse with the capacitor because of the sound of capacitors, rather than because of any smoothing benefits.

The last capacitorless supply had a Black gate in that position but when I removed it and relied entirely on the shunt valves (572b's) the sound improved to a more than noticeable extent. A larger improvement that when we were trying to decide if a grid choke sounded better than a resistor.

Phil I hadn't realised what you were doing was only for a preamp. Then the VR tube on cathode is better for you. I have this in my present amp and use the 6080 as the shunt valve.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

ONLY FOR A PREAMP ? :wink: :lol: :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Paul Barker wrote:
Nick wrote: I am trying to decide if the 100uf after the series R is a good or bad idea.
I my experience it sounds worse with the capacitor because of the sound of capacitors, rather than because of any smoothing benefits.
Yep, I would not have put one there, its asking the shunt reg to do most of its AC work against the ESR of the cap instead of the series resistor.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

pre65 wrote:ONLY FOR A PREAMP ? :wink: :lol: :lol:
Not needing lashings of current shunted.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Depends what the total supply current for the pre-amp circuit needs to be, but you might find examples of simple low current shunt regs that just use a resistor and 1+ VR tubes :?:

More complicated than that is, er, more complicated....

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

What I liked about the "Cresswell" tutorial shunt regulator was

A) I understood the tutorial, and I worked out the values.

B) I have all the bits to make it.

C) Still thinking about C. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Yes that also makes sense to me. :D

D. there is no D (© Andrew I. )

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."