Valve Shunt Regulator Design Walk-Through

We all start somewhere
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

There's another possible problem, you've got KT88 wired as triode and you're assuming it will behave as a triode, but it won't, as it's using a tetrode model. The gain will be more than it truly would be triode mode.

In my library All_Valves2.zip > new_triodes.txt I've got KT88 as triode, made it only recently, plus I've just found it's also got the 6N1P from triode_nh.txt!

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Hmmmm... more :?
I do have series R for the inductors, Mike, I think 69R .
I replaced the current load with a 2K resistor, which is roughly correct .
All the voltages are still tiny tiny .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

OK well that's stopped the current source making things negative.

Have you followed the Voltage from V1, to see where it goes low?

This is like fault finding a real circuit.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Mike H wrote:There's another possible problem, you've got KT88 wired as triode and you're assuming it will behave as a triode, but it won't, as it's using a tetrode model. The gain will be more than it truly would be triode mode.
In my library All_Valves2.zip > new_triodes.txt I've got KT88 as triode, made it only recently
I was hoping the Stephie KT88 tetrode would be good enough to work properly when wired up this way, maybe not :( I might have to ask elsewhere then regarding the limits of these models .
In any case, I put in your KT88 triode model instead ...
...and the voltages are all still tiny tiny .
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

There's nothing significant anywhere now Mike - even at the transformer secondary or around the diodes - it's as dead as a Dodo . Maybe there's a power cut caused by the snow .
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Oh wait I've just noticed '.op'

Is that all?

Should be .tran

E.g.:

.tran 0 10 (10 seconds)

I've never used .op

Tried it just now, just get a list of node Voltages in a pop-up.

You should use .tran, creates a second waveforms window. Then you click on circuit nodes to see the waveforms at those nodes.

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

OK, I suppose if you're starting from an AC source, the DC operating point analysis may not 'see' the 50Hz input, and so you get no voltages .

I tried the .tran 0 10 0 analysis , and clicked on the B+ line.
It slowly ( really really slowly ) plotted a voltage curve coming up, as if the power supply had just been switched on . It eventually plateaux-ed out at about 300V . This makes me wonder if a 390AC source is 390V Pk-Pk instead of RMS as I was thinking .

So, I might have to cut the front of the circuit short for efficient DC operating points analysis ( and some of the other stuff too ) and just put a combination DC + AC ripple source there, either just do one choke or maybe both . Hmm, having just done this trace of the B+ line out to 10sec, I wonder if I can analyse the residual ripple and its spectrum ? - I will have a look .
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Looks like an AC voltage source in LTSpice is specced as Pk-to-Pk , not RMS .
Just re-running it now - should come up to about 425V .
Interesting that the 0-10sec simulation of B+ showed a similar start-up curve to PSUD ( for the passive section ) with a small overshoot and reaching nearly full B+ at about 0.4 sec.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

OK , not bad, 416V . I could adjust to get more like 450 .
Good news : the KT88 is conducting - about 45mA
Bad news : the 6N1P sections are only conducting 0.1mA .
Hmmm ...
Maybe explains why the ripple is in the 10-20mV level and not 2 to 3mV .
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

IslandPink wrote:OK, I suppose if you're starting from an AC source, the DC operating point analysis may not 'see' the 50Hz input, and so you get no voltages .
Yes! :D

According to help .op only tells you what the initial start-up Voltages are, which in this case are zero, because V1 starts at zero (start of sine)

V1 is a signal source, AND rest of circuit needs time to react to it, ergo needs a transient simulation over some period of time.

Even if you were using a V source as a DC supply, still need time for the circuit to start up and stabilise from that supply. So still .tran.

Looks like an AC voltage source in LTSpice is specced as Pk-to-Pk , not RMS .
Interesting that the 0-10sec simulation of B+ showed a similar start-up curve to PSUD ( for the passive section ) with a small overshoot and reaching nearly full B+ at about 0.4 sec.

For power supply sims I nowadays tend to delay the input for a second or two, to better see the start-up point, there is a 'delay' parameter in the attributes for V1 SINE

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Next step is insert a proper transformer into the input :D

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Maybe so, Mike.
In the meantime, I'm looking at a trace of the B+ voltage I just ran, with all the valves working approx correct now. It seems to have a curious meandering ( admittedly only 10mV or so ) that has a long period, down in the sngle-Hz range .
I wonder if this is real( doubtful) or some subtlety I've got wrong in how I'm running the analysis ?
Attachments
Bplus_meandering.JPG
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Hunting? :?:

Dunno, but I've received your file OK thanks, will have a look when I get a mo.

You've upped the input AC to 680V now?

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

You'd think it's hunting, but could it do that, with the info it has ? - maybe .
Voltage - 680 , he he - the screen cap view of these things when the circuit is shrunk down goes all nuts - the numbers appear to change ! I'll have to post the circuit separately I suppose, when it's important . No, it's at about 550V I think. The resistors above the 6N1P are also NOT 60k and 68k - they are 50k and 56k !

Meanwhile - here's a cool thing - attached.
This is the analysis of Zout that was suggested by Dave Cigna on the Intact Audio site.
Set up two current loads at the end - one for DC ( 0.26) and one for the AC component ( 0.03 ) .
Do a decade frequency analysis ( note, I removed the rectifier section & subbed a DC voltage source here, to get the AC smoothing ripple out of the picture ) .
Analyse V(out)/I(I2) : this is the B+volts over the AC current load .
[ V(out) in this case is V(n003) on my circuit ] . Do this by editing the 'Visible traces' options box to create this function.

Hey Presto ! - you get a direct trace of the Zout in ohms.
Result looks pretty tasty - only 3ohms at 10Hz dropping to 0.6ohms by 10kHz.
Attachments
TRex_Zout_Cigna.JPG
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Pretty sure you have to do it with one current source only, not with a second one in parallel. :?: