updating the voltage regulator in a Caiman dac

We all start somewhere
bostod
User

#1 updating the voltage regulator in a Caiman dac

Post by bostod »

swapped out the 12v regulator and put in a 12v class d regulator. the regulator and caiman powers up( there is one blue led lit up on the reg). unfortunately no sound output at all. I found it difficult to solder the reg onto the circuit board, could there be a dry joint? or have i messed up the circuit board

http://www.hificollective.co.uk/compone ... d_reg.html
bostod
User

Post by bostod »

Anyone interested in a little paid work to rectify this problem. I will sort out postage and pay a generous hourly rate if anyone is interested.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Did you remove both boards from the case? Did you break one of the umbilical wires between them? Cant recall if the daughter board can be fitted the wrong way 'round...may be worth checking.

Also check the new regulator is outputting 12v....are the pinouts the same as the one you removed?
bostod
User

Post by bostod »

Neal wrote:Did you remove both boards from the case? Did you break one of the umbilical wires between them? Cant recall if the daughter board can be fitted the wrong way 'round...may be worth checking.

Also check the new regulator is outputting 12v....are the pinouts the same as the one you removed?
i removed the upper board only from the case. i removed the 3 pin regulator and replaced it with a better 3 pin one. i will give it another try this morning then i am beat :)
bostod
User

Post by bostod »

sometimes you have to admit defeat. think i will leave the elctronics to people who know how to do it well. i will stick to nursing and pay for the tweaks i want to do to my hifi stuff. just about knackered my tripath board as well now.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Don't where abouts in Donny you are Dave (I'm on the south side) but if you want to bring it round I'll have a look and see if I can see anything obvious. It would have to be pretty obvious though as I don't know anything about the caiman, almost as little about SS (which is the devil's work anyway) and pcbs are a pita! But apart from that happy to have a look!
bostod
User

Post by bostod »

Apparently i have blown the dac chip. It just makes some crackle and pop sounds now. An expensive lesson but now i know to prepare and understand how to complete a job before hacking the hell out of a pcb board and hoping for the best.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

The reg ground pin floated, pushing more voltage onto the DAC that was good for it. I replaced it with a normal three pin reg, but it was to no avail :-(
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.