Aikido power supply

We all start somewhere
david C
Old Hand

#1 Aikido power supply

Post by david C »

now that I've got my TVC working I'd like to have a go at building an Aikido pre,

I can't see a problem with the Aikido but I don't know where to start with the power supply, I've got a 350-0-350 tx and I need 220vDC B+

I'd love some help

thanks
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Which aikido setup are you going to use that will need 220v?

I might be better trying to get a setup that needs about 300v with that transformer.

220v doesn't seem much for an aikido, 100v per valve.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

I read the B+ off the schematic,

so you view is not to play around trying to reduce the voltage but to start with a smaller tx,

I really would like to understand how a ps goes together
Attachments
AikidoAmp2.gif
AikidoAmp2.gif (8.54 KiB) Viewed 12590 times
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Hi David-the circuit i am using for the PT15 power supply is based on a Rankin amp using a 350-0-350 with a GZ34-20uf-14H-10uf and gives about 450v ht !!!

Can you link to the pre amp circuit you are considering ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Well, its only my bias, but the idea of increasing the source impedance of a power supply by adding resistance to burn voltage seems a mistake.

Why not use a 6n6p version, that would be happy with about 300v ish B+

The other option is get one of the little TX's that maplin did, that will give you 250v to play with. The other option is a pair of back to back TX's, take the heater supply from between the two TX's and the B+ from the final voltage from the primary (as was) of the second TX.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

thanks Nick
is that using toroidals like you did in your phono amp?
David

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Hi David-have you got the Duncan Amps "PSU designer" program on your computer ?

If not,download it and get to understand it.

I don't pretend to fully understand it but it is a very useful tool.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

yeah Philip I've got it, I just don't understand it or how to make it work:(
David

simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

No time now David, but I have that exact same circuit as the Aikido in my phono, except for 6N6Ps instead of 5687s, and I've been running it with an HT of 250V to 280V without any problems so far.

There was a thread of mine at t'other place which discusses PSUD (and other things I seem to remember...). Don't know if you've read it but it may help.

http://wduk.worldomain.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2072

I'm not exactly the most qualified to help, but I'll have a go tomorrow if I can.
colin.hepburn
Shed dweller

Post by colin.hepburn »

david C wrote:yeah Philip I've got it, I just don't understand it or how to make it work:(
Hi Dave
Beginners guide to Duncan’s PSU II Designer
Click this link http://www.dhtrob.com/overige/updates_en.htm tip and tricks first link top of page this may help you with Duncan’s PSU II
Colin
The Blues man ImageImage
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yes, like I did in the phono.

Remember you can also use the two TX's back to back to provide a stepdown. A 230:9 to a 12:230 for example, would give something like 150v. Bridge rect and cap from that would give something like 210v

Use tx's with two secondaries, and connect them together (tx to tx), then use the two 9v middle voltages to supply two 6.3 regulators for the heaters.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Nick wrote:Well, its only my bias, but the idea of increasing the source impedance of a power supply by adding resistance to burn voltage seems a mistake.
I would agree, unless its a lash up to try something out, and then a variac seems a better solution for prototyping.

I would also avoid multiple LC combo's and go for LCRC etc.

cheers,

-- Andrew
shaun
User

Post by shaun »

hi dave

i'm using the aikido circuit you've posted but with 6n6p on the o\p with 220v B+. mine uses a series regulated psu and sounds pretty good in my set up.

you could try your 350-350v tx into a valve rectifier (gz34) into a choke and cap for a raw B+ of 300v then a steve bench style series reg. its what i have and works well.

take care

shaun
Last edited by shaun on Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

you could try your 350-350v tx into a valve rectifier (gz34) into a choke and cap for a raw B+ of 300v then a steve bensch style series reg. its what i have and works well.
Yes, I would agree, that would be my preference, but I was staying on the simple side in my earlier suggestions :-)
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

so if I could get my head round the Steve Bensch series regulator and using 6n6ps in the Aikido I could have quite a good pre amp,

how do I find out about the series regulator?

thanks everybody*
David