Manafort Trial

Subjects that don't have their own home
User avatar
IslandPink
No idea why I do this anymore
Posts: 6135
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 7:01 pm
Location: Denbigh, N.Wales

Manafort Trial

Post by IslandPink » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:19 pm

Some great stuff coming out here .
https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman
Starting a couple of days ago, Rick Gate's testimony ( done with 'help' from a plea bargain ) is superbly incriminating against Manafort.
Today the FBI forensic accountant has got her teeth into him and there's plenty of evidence it seems.
"I don't care, I don't care, I don't care if he comes round here, I've got my beer in the sideboard here"

User avatar
jack
Shed dweller
Posts: 2868
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:58 pm
Location: Somewhere getting hotter with no possibility of rain.
Contact:

Re: Manafort Trial

Post by jack » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:38 pm

Gate lied through his teeth during his pre-trial deposition . It's going to get messy...

User avatar
IslandPink
No idea why I do this anymore
Posts: 6135
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 7:01 pm
Location: Denbigh, N.Wales

Re: Manafort Trial

Post by IslandPink » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:10 pm

Jury still deliberating - decision expected Monday. The evidence must be very complex and extensive when you see what was shown at the beginning of the week. However the defence say the case is not strong enough for them to warrant putting up any witnesses...
Meanwhile the judge has commented that he has received threats and is under protection from US Marshalls.
He's also not going to release the names of jurors ( after the trial ) as requested by the press, as he fears for their safety.
"I don't care, I don't care, I don't care if he comes round here, I've got my beer in the sideboard here"

Michael L
Old Hand
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:10 pm
Location: Shrewsbury

Re: Manafort Trial

Post by Michael L » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:33 pm

Trump may yet pardon him if there's a guilty verdict.

User avatar
IslandPink
No idea why I do this anymore
Posts: 6135
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 7:01 pm
Location: Denbigh, N.Wales

Re: Manafort Trial

Post by IslandPink » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:00 pm

Yes, but each one who's found guilty is a new candidate for plea deals and more dirt on Trump . If you were facing 30 years in jail, would you be absolutely sure Trump would pardon you - or that he might change his mind, or forget ?

Looks like he's guilty on eight counts so far .. superb !
"I don't care, I don't care, I don't care if he comes round here, I've got my beer in the sideboard here"

User avatar
Greg
Shed dweller
Posts: 2567
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 11:14 am
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: Manafort Trial

Post by Greg » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:07 pm

Am I missing something? Why is this so significant? I have absolutely no time for Trump and am an avid news media reader. The Manafort Trial is not hitting the headlines. Maybe I need to look deeper?

Mark, what’s your take on this and why have you highlighted it?

User avatar
IslandPink
No idea why I do this anymore
Posts: 6135
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 7:01 pm
Location: Denbigh, N.Wales

Re: Manafort Trial

Post by IslandPink » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:24 pm

Manafort has been a political operative in the Republican party since the late 70's. He was his campaign manager for the election and crucial in getting Trump the 2016 win. Clearly if he was involved in any collusion with Russia ( he was heavily involved in Ukraine ) or illegal financing of the campaign then it has relevance to Trump's position.
You say the Manafort story is not hitting the headlines, but it was and is a main headline on the BBC this evening . Also Michael Cohen's plea deal is a main headline, that's also got lots of mileage. Who knows what dirt Cohen has on Trump - and he's been insulted and written-off by Trump since he started to look vulnerable - no love lost there.
"I don't care, I don't care, I don't care if he comes round here, I've got my beer in the sideboard here"

Michael L
Old Hand
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:10 pm
Location: Shrewsbury

Re: Manafort Trial

Post by Michael L » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:43 am

These guilty pleas and convictions should weaken Trump's support in Congress in the mid-terms providing a better chance of impeachment. On the other hand who knows what might happen. The old rules appear to very elastic these days much like Brexit's referendum cheating and the government's response to it ie Brexit means Brexit. On that, it will be very interesting to follow the legal challenge https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -challenge

User avatar
IslandPink
No idea why I do this anymore
Posts: 6135
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 7:01 pm
Location: Denbigh, N.Wales

Re: Manafort Trial

Post by IslandPink » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:18 pm

Interesting - hopefully the infringements will be taken more seriously now, instead of being brushed under the carpet.

Michael Cohen now looks like he could provide very good value for money.
"Hell hath no fury like a lawyer spurned" ?

Today we hear that he 'would "never" accept a pardon from "a man that he considers to be a corrupt and a dangerous person".
Further, quoted saying he is 'more than happy' to help with the Russia probe, and 'ready to discuss anything he knows about Donald Trump' .
:D
"I don't care, I don't care, I don't care if he comes round here, I've got my beer in the sideboard here"

Baggy Trousers
User
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:53 pm

Re: Manafort Trial

Post by Baggy Trousers » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:05 am

IslandPink wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:18 pm
Interesting - hopefully the infringements will be taken more seriously now, instead of being brushed under the carpet.
If you mean infringements of the referendum mechanism, then it would be nice if some balance and impartiality were introduced into the enquiries.

With regard to The Donald, I think one has to make a distinction between his private actions and those which might involve him as President; Mr Cohen might provide some interesting revelations concerning the latter. I imagine Trump's future will be determined by conclusions drawn from the Russian involvement.

However, in comparison with earlier Presidents, Trump's behaviour is really not that dreadful. Alexander Hamilton was caught in flagrante and paid a considerable sum in hush money. That was in the 18th century. Thomas Jefferson is widely thought to have raped one of his slaves. Grover Cleveland enjoyed two Presidencies despite being accused of fathering a child out of wedlock. JFK's sexual exploits were legendary, yet he is revered by history. Tricky Dickie Nixon would have been impeached if he had not jumped first - his crimes were substantial. The slimy regime of the Clintons involved a lot more than Bill dropping his pants in the Oval Office and subsequently lying to the American people. The Russian connection, if it exists, has yet to be established but bonking Stormy Daniels and others, then getting Cohen to secure their silence is rather small beer by comparison with past Presidential misdemeanours. Providing, of course, that these pay-offs did not come from Party funds.

Despite all this activity and his curious exercise of politics, Trump remains generally popular with Americans, if for no reason other than he puts "America first". A pity we are not led by someone of similar conviction.

User avatar
Nick
Site Admin
Posts: 11308
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 10:20 am
Location: West Yorkshire

Re: Manafort Trial

Post by Nick » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:14 am

if for no reason other than he puts "America first". A pity we are not led by someone of similar conviction.
Do you actually think its America he puts first?
Resistance isn't futile it's V / I.

User avatar
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power
Posts: 17263
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: North Essex

Re: Manafort Trial

Post by pre65 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:33 pm

Why do so many of us take it for granted that being deceitful and lying is just how politicians are these days ?
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)

Baggy Trousers
User
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:53 pm

Re: Manafort Trial

Post by Baggy Trousers » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:52 pm

pre65 wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:33 pm
Why do so many of us take it for granted that being deceitful and lying is just how politicians are these days ?
Come on Philip - you already know the answer to that!

User avatar
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power
Posts: 17263
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:13 pm
Location: North Essex

Re: Manafort Trial

Post by pre65 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:59 pm

Baggy Trousers wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:52 pm
pre65 wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:33 pm
Why do so many of us take it for granted that being deceitful and lying is just how politicians are these days ?
Come on Philip - you already know the answer to that!
BUT, why is it accepted ?
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. John Lennon

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)

Baggy Trousers
User
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:53 pm

Re: Manafort Trial

Post by Baggy Trousers » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:05 pm

Nick wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:14 am
if for no reason other than he puts "America first". A pity we are not led by someone of similar conviction.
Do you actually think its America he puts first?
Frankly, Nick, I don't know.

His initial attraction was that he did not have a political background and therefore, presumably, was untainted by the duplicity and chicanery that so often is attached (not always fairly) to those who professionally engage in the black arts of politics. His non-conformist approach and "let's do it" attitude was a refreshing change from the Gee Dubya incompetent and do-nothing Obama administrations. But as usually is the case with such things, the original attraction tends to evaporate when exposed to reality. He conducts his Presidential affairs in a very curious fashion and this seldom shows neither himself nor his country in a good light.

I don't include his sexual peccadilloes; Grover Cleveland, Thomas Jefferson, JFK and the slimy Clintons are among several badly-behaved presidents before him, so his position with regard to the likes of Stormy Daniels is hardly unique. He could be in trouble, however, if the hush money was drawn from party funds.

I suspect that, in his very individual way, he does put America first but I'm not sure that in the longer term, America will benefit from this. I don't imagine the rest of the world will.

Post Reply