SPL meter recommendation?

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 SPL meter recommendation?

Post by IslandPink »

Chaps
It's going to be useful to have a decent SPL meter while designing my speakers.
Has anybody got any recommendations for something good but not too expensive ( < £100 ) that will work for more than a year ( that puts Maplin out of the picture !! )

Ta in advance

Mark
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

There's a lot of stuff on diyAudio about this.

There's a Behringer mic that people tend to like, you can get it calibrated and stuff, and there's a nice mic pre-amp to go with it. Hook it up to your computer to display the noises and you're there.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Thanks Chris -
I think a hand-held meter is what I'm after .
I'll check out DIY audio as well .

MJ
chris661
Shed dweller

Post by chris661 »

There's a lot of people using Radio Shack SPL meters - I'm not sure which one exactly (probably digital though).

If you opened a thread under "Equipment and Tools", asking for recommendations, hopefully someone can point you more precisely in the right direction
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 More info

Post by IslandPink »

Re. radioshack meter :
Ok, at first I wasn't sure , as discussion :
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-wa ... etter.html
says it's not 'calibrated' ie. it doesn't have a flat frequency response other than being correct for 'A' and 'C' weighting .
However, it appears to be quite useful over the band I'm interested in , ie. about 100 to 1000 Hz :
http://mysite.verizon.net/tammie_eric/a ... -2050.html
and could be quite valuable further out if you make compensations for the non-flatness.
So, I think I'll buy one of these. I can cadge better equipment from time to time when I need it .

Mark
planet10
Old Hand

Post by planet10 »

Any cheap metr would need to be individualy calibrated. The RS analog meter is the preferred one. I have one of those.

I would have a look at Studio Six Audio Tools. The basic SPL meter is similar to the RS in finctionality and they have calibrated it against an average of iPhone/Touch mics. You can purchase a plug in for a more sophisicated meter, and later consider purchasing the ancillary hardware rig that turns it into a full-fledged hi-qual measuring rig.

http://www.studiosixdigital.com/

dave
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by IslandPink »

Thanks Dave...but too late for the Studio Six as I just ordered one of the analogue RS meters earlier .
I will try to reference it against someone ( eg. Nick)'s calibrated microphone etc when i get chance.
If I get keen I'll start swapping caps inside and see if I can extend its useful range as per the guidance elsewhere .

Cheers
Mark
Johnherpes
New User

#8 SPL meter recommendation

Post by Johnherpes »

I purchased a Radio Shack analog SPL meter on their website this last Saturday and Im just waiting for it to be delivered in the mail. Looking forward to tweaking my setup This should be a good learning experience here, and some wonderful sounding audio to follow
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I have four or five meters. They all read dBSPL, A and C, peak and mean. And they are calibrated annually across 250Hz to 8kHz. The company will guarantee accuracy only within these parameters.

It would, I think, be fair to say that a 'radioshack' (Tandy - are radioshack still alive and well in the jolly old US of A or indeed anywhere else? ) or even Maplin's SP meters have never been calibrated and if they were to be it would be most likely to be at 1kHz only.

Does it matter? Probably not - you will get a ball park figure

But, here's a thing. Because I can, I set up an experiment in an anechoic room where the sound sources (pure tones - warble tones, narrow band noise, white and pink noise were available... in stereo!)

Placing three SPLmeters alngside each other - so the furthest apart the mics were was only a little more than the the width of a ooooooo adult head. The meters gave a 2dB difference peak and mean. There was similar variation across the frequencies The one in the middle was not the most sensitive.

So, hooray for the calibration company but you can see just how sensitive the room acoustics and meter placement can be!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Daft question time ~ :D where are you going to do these speaker SPL measurements?

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

to work!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Indoors?

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

indoors.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

OK, I only ask 'cause I tried this once as I've got a decibel meter, all I got was the frequencies at which various standing waves in the room peaked. It was totally unhelpful in terms of finding out what the speaker was doing.

I was told by the chap who gave me the meter (yes gave) that if I wanted to try measurung a speaker response with it to take it outside on the patio where there's a complete absence of adjacent walls.

And forewarn the neighbours before you start :D

andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

As the room is totally reverberation free, indeed damped to buggery then the only standing waves we get are in patients' ear canals but that is all perfect and correct and necessary for a certain type of hearing aid fit.

If you are outside surely there is always the chance of a minor war breaking out, aliens landing their space craft, 'im next door tuning up a matchless 500 or indeed the happy squeals of delight from children torturing a cat. Hardly good science!