Lenco Bits

Caveat emptor, Caveat venditor
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Lenco Bits

Post by Mike H »

From a general items info notification e-mail from an eBay seller, dunno if it's useful to anyone ~

Item title: LENCO TRANSCRIPTION MOTOR + SPINDLE / BEARING UNIT + SW
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0534897327

Item title: LENCO TRANSCRIPTION TURNTABLE PLINTH
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0535439203

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Quite often with Lenco's its cheaper to just buy a complete TT Mike if you're think of getting some bits together.

Complete GL75's often went for 20 quid or so, sometimes if you were lucky there'd be a metal Idler wheel lurking under the platter... they go for daft money now...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Goldring-Lenco-gL ... 3efbd1d693

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

I wasn't, and I'm sure you're right, 'twas just in case someone wants a spare motor or summat.

Though quite why they're in separate bits going by what you said I dunno!

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Dave the bass wrote:sometimes if you were lucky there'd be a metal Idler wheel lurking under the platter... they go for daft money now...
See what you mean. Metal as opposed to ... ? Plastic :?:

Graeme
Needs to get out more

Post by Graeme »

Yes.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Hi Mike,

There are pirates out there in the trade who care nothing about preserving the mark but buy in obsolete Garrard, Lenco etc and then deliberately strip to sell off as parts which realises a higher financial return for them.

The metal idler thing is interesting. Has anyone actually done a listening comparison between metal and the later plastic option? I know that the Lenco went back to metal towards the very end of production. The reason for the question is when I was playing with Lenco's, I contacted Technical and General (they may not exist now but at the time supported classic TT's with service/spares etc) and the guy I spoke to stated the preference for the metal idler was an 'urban myth' and the plastic was better because it didn't resonate like the metal wheel. Of course, it is likely that the plastic option aged and lost physical form/broke! I don't know but it would be interesting to know a bit more on this. Any observations?

Regards

Greg
Bizzie
Old Hand

Post by Bizzie »

When I first bought the G99 I had it was fitted with a plastic idler wheel and the rubber "tyre" had gone hard and made it rumble, after I replaced it with a metal idler the rubber was really soft and it was really quiet when running.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Hi Bizzie,

Yer, get that but surely that's about the tyre and the quality of the rubber rather than the difference between a plastic idler wheel and a metal one and corresponding impact on sound which is what I'm (and I'm sure others are) interested in.

Regards,

Greg
Bizzie
Old Hand

Post by Bizzie »

I think that if the tyre was made with the same type of rubber on the plastic idler as the metal idler then the plastic one should sound better, but it seems that they used a different compound on the plastic version than the metal one which deteriorated and this is why everyone who had a plastic idler experienced rumble.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

When I had my Lencos (3 !) the rubber on the plastic idlers was rock hard, and the metal one reasonably soft.

A new O ring on a plastic idler was not too bad.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Is that right?

Greg wrote:Hi Mike,

There are pirates out there in the trade who care nothing about preserving the mark but buy in obsolete Garrard, Lenco etc and then deliberately strip to sell off as parts which realises a higher financial return for them.
A bit like cars .. Image

S-so, seems like the change to nylon wheel also coincided with a change of the 'rubber' stuff compound, which hasn't lasted as well hence the earlier type is preferred for its 'rubber tyre', not necessarily because it's metal

gninnam
Old Hand

Post by gninnam »

The only real difference is that the plastic Idler's tend to perish around the bush while the metal ones do not!
I have a plastic wheel on my Lenco (NOS) and I have not noticed any difference compared to my other Lenco with a metal wheel (which is a used Leak Lenco).

Hope that helps :D
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Iz zat zo ~ lubricant attacking the plastic :?: