WANTED 2 No 0.08mH inductors

Caveat emptor, Caveat venditor
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#1 WANTED 2 No 0.08mH inductors

Post by Toppsy »

I am using a 1st Order Butterworth X/O on my Tang Band speaker build and according to the calcs I need a couple 0.08mH inductors along with the 1.33uF caps. See attached.

I could wind these myself as I have a roll of suitable roll of enamelled copper wire. BUT I don't have a multimeter that measures inductance. Si I'm looking to you guys to see if anyone could wind these for me or perhaps loan me a meter to measure inductance?

Cheers
Colin
Attachments
2-way crossover_15kHz.jpg
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I have a LCR bridge you can borrow that will do it Colin.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Thanks Nick.

I'll pop over this weekend, if it suits.
Dave Cawley
User

Post by Dave Cawley »

Hi Colin

0.08mH will give you -3dB at 16Khz, why bother rolling the woofer off at such a high frequency, why not just let it be?

For the capacitor use 1uF in parallel with 330n ?

Regards

Dave
"if it measures well and sounds good, it is good : "if it measures badly and sounds bad it is bad" : "if it measures badly and sounds good, it could be improved" : "if it measures well but sounds bad it is bad"
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

I guess it depends on how it breaks up at those frequencies. And maybe its to avoid cancellation with the tweeter,
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Dave Cawley
User

Post by Dave Cawley »

You are probably right! . But you don't do that with a supertweeter? So maybe it's try both and see! Certainly winding the inductor is going to be a only 5 minute job.

Dave
"if it measures well and sounds good, it is good : "if it measures badly and sounds bad it is bad" : "if it measures badly and sounds good, it could be improved" : "if it measures well but sounds bad it is bad"
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Dave,

In this case the 'woofer' is actually a Tang Band W8-1772 8" Full Range driver that from the FR plots dips at around 15KHz but still goes up to 20K.

The idea is to experiment with and without the supertweeter wired in. The idea of the X/O is to cut the Tang Band at 15K and let the tweeter take over from there so to avoid any cancellation effects between the two drivers at the 15K - 20K frequencies. The tweeter will be wired through a L-Pad as there is around 4dB difference in the two drivers.

I have a couple of 1uF caps so just need a couple of 330nF.