Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#406 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Ray P »

Classic Formula 1 and Annie Nightingale, what more could you ask for!

"What's this little knob for..."

Gethin was a DNF in the race.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ray P

#407 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Ray P »

Ray P

#408 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Ray P »

Another age...

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#409 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by jack »

Fascinating stuff. Croydon really caught it during WWII on two counts - firstly, the airport and secondly because German bombers that were being intercepted by fighters, when damaged, often just dropped their bombs short of their target (typically docklands) and ran for home. Croydon thus caught a huge amount of damage, including our house in Castlemaine Avenue which had its front removed by the vacuum caused by a landmine falling in the road outside.

After the war, a commemorative book called "Croydon Courageous" was published by the Croydon Times newspaper containing many photos of the damage, including a picture of what would later become our house (minus its front wall). We used to have a copy, though I have no idea where it is.

http://www.crystalpalacefoundation.org. ... courageous

Two of the planes in the above video are Imperial Airways Handley Page 45s named "Heracles" (G-AAXC) and "Horatius" (G-AAXD)- The HP45 had a shorter range and more passenger space than the almost identical HP42s which were specified by Imperial Airways for its Far East routes - the HP42s took fewer passengers and had far greater range, plus they could land on dirt runways. Only 4 of each type were built.

My wife's grandfather, Captain AG ("Lamps") Lamplugh, was Chief Underwriter for British Aviation Insurance and Principle Surveyor for Imperial Airways in which role he was instrumental in specifying these aircraft. He also organised the first flight to land in Sharjah on (now an emirate of the UAE) of the HP42 "Hanno" (G-AAUD) on 05/10/32- see photo below. He was quite a character- I still have (and have had restored) his Vacheron Constantin watch. Also, on landing his Bristol BE2 at the end of WWI, he stole the massive (and rather magnificent) propellor - we have this still, on the wall at one end of our sitting room - it has a clock in the hub where the indices and the hub are replaced with small silver models of various planes that he piloted. See the photo of him below... I got the photo of "Hanno" in Sharjah when I was working out there a few years ago.

510-1.jpg
510-1.jpg (48.07 KiB) Viewed 1521 times
PXL_20240207_204418601_copy_1008x756.jpg
PXL_20240207_204418601_copy_1008x756.jpg (122.39 KiB) Viewed 1507 times
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#410 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Mike H »

Wow. Remember making a Airfix kit of one of them.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#411 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by jack »

Mike H wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:09 pm Wow. Remember making a Airfix kit of one of them.
Here's another one of Hanno from Sharjah... Note the HUGE landing gear to cater for horrid airstrips...

FB_IMG_1707037037690a.jpg
FB_IMG_1707037037690a.jpg (155.72 KiB) Viewed 1375 times
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
shane
Social outcast

#412 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by shane »

My six year old grandson asked me to take him to see Concorde 002 at the Fleet Air Arm museum. It occurred to me that Concorde is more archaic to him than this was when I was six. Time flies. Sadly, Concorde and Heracles don’t.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#413 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Dave the bass »

"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#414 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Mike H »

Image That was brilliant, and I also like the forgoing general explanation of how semiconductors work and how they're made (doped).

:thumbright:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ray P

#415 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Ray P »

Scary stuff...

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#416 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Mike H »

Driving a 1945 Willis Jeep around in LA traffic ... no flashers or mirrors ... or much of a brake light, come to that (according to the dashboard, you have to turn a switch for it :shock: )

But also, interesting history.

-

Ant
Shed dweller

#417 Re: Interesting (non musical) YouTube videos.

Post by Ant »

Quite liked this video

Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com