Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#16066 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Sorted, thanks. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#16067 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ali Tait »

Mike H wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:36 pm @ Paul, very sorry to hear about Diana. :( My mother's mother had MS, I never knew her.

Wanted to mention this - last Asda delivery was over an hour late, the van broke down. He said he went off up the road to the first roundabout (I can picture where it is), and it conked out. So all the contents (just been loaded, so everything) had to be transferred to another van.

The vans are automatic with stop/start. However several of them are having the problem where you stop, at traffic lights, junction, roundabout, whatever, it turns off, then it won't restart. You can't override it with pedals because it's an auto. (No clutch pedal.) He said it's better if the battery's low, because then it won't turn off! It's possible to turn the function off but that has to be done every time the van is restarted, which is after every delivery, so it's a total PITA. I think he said they're getting new vans soon, but WITHOUT the stop/start.
+1 Paul, sorry it’s come to this.

It drives me batshit on mine Mike- I keep forgetting to press the button to turn it off. It’s really bad for the engine components, particularly the timing chain and associated gubbins. Think I’ll buy a Carly and code it out.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#16068 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Looks like I'm hunting mice again. :(

It's been quite a while since the last campaign, and I can't remember where my stash of mousetraps are.

I did find one, so that has been baited with a bit of chocco biccy, time will tell.

Edmund Burke

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#16069 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

brig001 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:49 pm Very strange. First start stop car I drove was in 1983, so they should have got the hang of it by now
I think they're just knackered. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#16070 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#16071 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

pre65 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:04 pm I see we have snow, and exploding lights again, must be nearly Christmas.
Yay!

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#16072 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

pre65 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:58 pm Looks like I'm hunting mice again. :(

It's been quite a while since the last campaign, and I can't remember where my stash of mousetraps are.

I did find one, so that has been baited with a bit of chocco biccy, time will tell.
Same here, I've just bought some new supplies. Last year I thought it was a squirrel, had the pest man in!

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#16073 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Mike H wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:47 am
pre65 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:58 pm Looks like I'm hunting mice again. :(

Same here, I've just bought some new supplies. Last year I thought it was a squirrel, had the pest man in!
We have a humane trap which we bait with bits of 70.5% Belgian Patisserie Chocolate (Booker sell 2kg bags!) - this is in my "Bee Shed" where all the apiary equipment is stored - over winter, mice can be a real issue as they make nests in the stored "supers" and can destroy the wax/contaminate the wood with their wee etc.. I'm told that when you release the mice, it should be 1/2 mile or more away. So, I was wondering as per Amazon deliveries, whether to borrow #2 son's drone, fly the mighty/flighty rodent across the valley to the next village and drop it there. Hmmm...
Last edited by jack on Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#16074 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

We seem to have plenty of tawny owls around here, you'd think they'd have eaten them all. :D

Greg
Social outcast

#16075 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Greg »

jack wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:52 am We have a humane trap which we bait with bits of 70.5% Belgian Patisserie Chocolate…………
Fussy little blighters, aren’t they?
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#16076 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

:lol:

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#16077 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Greg wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:01 pm
jack wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:52 am We have a humane trap which we bait with bits of 70.5% Belgian Patisserie Chocolate…………
Fussy little blighters, aren’t they?
True, they have high standards! TBH, it's the only chocolate in the house - I don't eat chocolate anyway - but SWMBO is very particular about ingredients when cooking.... It's also conveniently in small pellets just right for the trap!

PXL_20231213_120904175_copy_756x1008.jpg
PXL_20231213_120904175_copy_756x1008.jpg (173.47 KiB) Viewed 18203 times
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#16078 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Elon Musk's Tesla recalls two million cars in US over Autopilot defect.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67693935

Edmund Burke

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#16079 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

pre65 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:51 pm Elon Musk's Tesla recalls two million cars in US over Autopilot defect.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67693935
Did you actually read the article? It's just an over-the-air software update. Keep trying.
The update happens automatically, and does not require a visit to a dealership or garage, but is still referred to by the regulator as a recall.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#16080 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Yes, I did read the article, and did realise it was an "over the air software solution".

What's your problem ?

It still affects 2 million vehicles.

Edmund Burke