General health matters.

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#421 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

I just remembered I had a Microdot blood glucose monitoring device, so I dug it out and did a test.

Got a figure of 4.7 which seems OK.

"What is a good mmol/mol reading?
Healthy people should keep their levels in the normal range, which is 4-5.6 % (20 – 38 mmol/mol). Slightly higher levels point to prediabetes, while high levels (above 6.5% or 48 mmol/mol) indicate diabetes"
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
shane
Social outcast

#422 Re: General health matters.

Post by shane »

I had two fillings detach themselves in the last couple of weeks and Jane has a loose one, but we had our scheduled checkup this morning. There are no NHS dentists for miles taking on new patients, and we’ve always liked and trusted our local practice.
Until about two years ago we used Denplan, but the practice have stopped using them so now it’s pay-as-you-go. Total bill for two dental check-ups, two hygienist exams and three fillings? £1193.00!

I’m going to have to give up eating.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
steve s
Shed dweller

#423 Re: General health matters.

Post by steve s »

I'm ordering some diy tooth filler when I get back to the UK I have a gaping hole in one of my teeth, that the dentist supposedly filled a couple of years ago
I'm sure I can do a better job
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#424 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

steve s wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:26 pm I'm ordering some diy tooth filler when I get back to the UK I have a gaping hole in one of my teeth, that the dentist supposedly filled a couple of years ago
I'm sure I can do a better job
Our Thomas might give you a few pointers Steve. :lol:

Edmund Burke

thomas
Old Hand

#425 Re: General health matters.

Post by thomas »

Hi more-or-less-retired Dentist here!
Try and clean the cavity as best you can (toothbrush, cocktail sticks) and dry it as best you can (cotton wool torn and rolled into pellets - use tweezers to dab into the cavity). Bits of hanky or cotton wool either side of the tooth will help to keep it dry. Put the temporary cement in with your fingers having rolled it around a bit first to soften it and check you haven't put too much in by gently clenching and looking for smooth spots..... bathroom mirror and good light essential....
Then get it looked at properly...
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#426 Re: General health matters.

Post by simon »

shane wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:11 pm Total bill for two dental check-ups, two hygienist exams and three fillings? £1193.00!
What's that as an hourly rate??? I appreciate there are overheads but surely something's not right here?
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#427 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

I'm on Denplan, and I pay £15.73 per month to cover two dental check ups and two hygienist appointments per 12 month period. So £188.76 in total.

The last filling I had (May 2022) was £180.00.

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

#428 Re: General health matters.

Post by Nick »

simon wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:06 pm
shane wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:11 pm Total bill for two dental check-ups, two hygienist exams and three fillings? £1193.00!
What's that as an hourly rate??? I appreciate there are overheads but surely something's not right here?
And don't mention Vet's rates. Lurcher Link has lots of foster dogs more and more down south now. Being foster, we have to cover vets fees. Southern vets now seem to be charging three times what the local ones do for the same procedure.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
shane
Social outcast

#429 Re: General health matters.

Post by shane »

simon wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:06 pm What's that as an hourly rate???
We were in for almost exactly an hour, during which we each had half an hour with the dentist and half an hour with the hygienist. Each had an assistant, and there’s a full time receptionist, so that’s five wages. Add to that two fully equipped practice rooms plus materials and it starts to look almost reasonable. Almost…
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#430 Re: General health matters.

Post by Paul Barker »

I think my dentist very reasonable against that Shane. £72 per drilled out cleaned up and re-filling. I pay subs, aswell but get two 6 monthly checks and cleans with that. Think its £12, pcm.
no dentists in Scarborough are taking nhs patients afaik. At the worst times we had a couple of practices employed Polish Dentists, one out of the blue closed down. Turned out not suitably qualified, quite a few years ago now, probs 10 or more.Might have only been gossip too.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#431 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

I've now got an appointment for my winter covid jab and flu jab. 1st October.

That's for over 64's, under 64's will follow.

Edmund Burke

vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#432 Re: General health matters.

Post by vinylnvalves »

That's late, getting mine done next week, and I'm under 64.....
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#433 Re: General health matters.

Post by Paul Barker »

shane wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:11 pm I had two fillings detach themselves in the last couple of weeks and Jane has a loose one, but we had our scheduled checkup this morning. There are no NHS dentists for miles taking on new patients, and we’ve always liked and trusted our local practice.
Until about two years ago we used Denplan, but the practice have stopped using them so now it’s pay-as-you-go. Total bill for two dental check-ups, two hygienist exams and three fillings? £1193.00!

I’m going to have to give up eating.
My dentist (private but on insurance) charges £70 per drill out old filling, and re-fill, per filling. After my face plant three fillings were inflamed, we possibly thought. However all pain went after time. Emergency dentist said it was probably bone bruising. Probably was. But I have my 6 minthly check on insurance tomorrow so maybe one or all of the 3 suggested re-fills no longer required. Ill find out tomorrow. Very glad the neuralgia completely went away after a couple months. Im thinking bone bruising which dental nurves travel to brain through, now all healed up.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#434 Re: General health matters.

Post by IslandPink »

Result !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#435 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

I was eating a softish chocolate the other day and my tooth crown came off, luckily I did not swallow it !

I rang my dentist this morning and they will put it back on (I hope) at 12:45 today.

I'll post about the cost later. :wink:

Edmund Burke