Zero emission road vehicles.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#91 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Ali Tait »

I think it could be a workable system if a standard was agreed. More likely that battery tech will move on and it will be possible to recharge very quickly though.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#92 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

Ali Tait wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:45 am
More likely that battery tech will move on
I'm sure it will Ali, just not sure how soon.

And what percentage of current EVs will be able to take advantage of any new technology ?

Fairly low I would think. :(
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#93 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

More likely that battery tech will move on
Yep, which is one reason why at the moment
if a standard was agreed.
Is not a benefit to anyone.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

#94 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

I'm sure it will Ali, just not sure how soon.
All the time, small steps.
And what percentage of current EVs will be able to take advantage of any new technology ?
Well, that’s true of most things, but its an argument to never buy anything, and ignores current real advantages.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Greg
Social outcast

#95 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Greg »

Is there any point in continuously hanging on for the technology to reach a standard we think is convenient? You could be dead before that standard arrives. I thought a lot about this before I committed to buying my Model 3 Long Range. There is evidence the batteries deplete only 10% over the course of 200K miles. I’m unlikely to drive that distance in the rest of my lifetime. I am lucky that I can park off-road and connect at home to a smart charger. This will facilitate nearly all of my motoring. When contemplating a long trip, a little planning on re-charging may be required, but even the car’s route planner works this out for you. The worst scenario is the last resort need to charge from a 13amp socket which would charge at a rate of 7 miles per hour. In my case this might be from a hook up when on a camping or other accommodation holiday and of course we would choose any such venue to be appropriately convenient.

I’ve dispensed with range anxiety. With planning it should never be a problem for current EV battery performance.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#96 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:28 pm
Well, that’s true of most things, but its an argument to never buy anything, and ignores current real advantages.
I sort of agree, with a £150 microwave oven it's no big deal, but a £30K (or more) car could take a big hit in it's secondhand value.

Just saying.

Edmund Burke

Greg
Social outcast

#97 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Greg »

pre65 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:44 pm I sort of agree, with a £150 microwave oven it's no big deal, but a £30K (or more) car could take a big hit in it's secondhand value.
Take a look at Tesla on the secondhand market. They retain their value really well and don’t appear to suffer from the usual massive depreciation in value the moment they are driven off the forecourt. The current wait for delivery after ordering is approximately 8 weeks. Tesla sold secondhand, provided they are fairly new are frequently advertised and sold at more than the new price because some customers do not want the delivery wait. Of course this is a supply and demand thing and it may well all change when the new German factory goes into production. It has been estimated that a three year old Tesla can retain up to 95% of it’s original sales value. I hope it stays this way because next year, I might chop mine in for the new Model Y when it becomes available in the U.K. :D
Nick
Site Admin

#98 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

but a £30K (or more) car could take a big hit in it's secondhand value.
Well percentages are percentages.

Simple way to avoid that is a lease with an agreed final value.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#99 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by jack »

Just a thought...

Are all those Tesla chargers of whatever type powered by renewable electricity from Bulb or whoever?

Powering your Tesla from a coal-fired station would be awesome 🤗
Last edited by jack on Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#100 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Ali Tait »

They are all being shut down.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#101 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by vinylnvalves »

I have heard story’s of people carrying generators in the boot of there’s EV cars for when they get caught out. There is a social media story around where a guy is walking to fill a Jerry can, so he can charge his Tesla at the road side. It’s good to see that most EV’s heat the cabin for your journey before you disconnect from the mains. I would hope an efficient EV doesn’t generate too much heat, so how is the cabin heated for that longer journey, as electric heat will mean reduced range. A “blue chip” company I worked for holds one of my patent ideas for heating EV cars with cellular heat pods, using a supersaturated solution to store the energy. The idea was to have pods which you exchanged at service stations for recharged ones which plugged in. I have tried to get them to talk to Elon about it a number of times, as for 44 states cabin heat is the biggest issue with EV cars. The idea was a spin off from an industrial scale thermal store idea I worked on, a decade ago or more.
Nick
Site Admin

#102 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

vinylnvalves wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:44 pm I have heard story’s of people carrying generators in the boot of there’s EV cars for when they get caught out. There is a social media story around where a guy is walking to fill a Jerry can, so he can charge his Tesla at the road side. It’s good to see that most EV’s heat the cabin for your journey before you disconnect from the mains. I would hope an efficient EV doesn’t generate too much heat, so how is the cabin heated for that longer journey, as electric heat will mean reduced range. A “blue chip” company I worked for holds one of my patent ideas for heating EV cars with cellular heat pods, using a supersaturated solution to store the energy. The idea was to have pods which you exchanged at service stations for recharged ones which plugged in. I have tried to get them to talk to Elon about it a number of times, as for 44 states cabin heat is the biggest issue with EV cars. The idea was a spin off from an industrial scale thermal store idea I worked on, a decade ago or more.
I would have thought a hot water bottle would have been prior art ?
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#103 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by jack »

Ali Tait wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:38 pm They are all being shut down.
Spoilsport !
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Nick
Site Admin

#104 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

Most suppliers have a EV tariff now. Bit like Econ 7 on steroids.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#105 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:58 pm Most suppliers have a EV tariff now. Bit like Econ 7 on steroids.
So the government know where you all are when they start taxing the electricity used on EVs. Maybe not for a year or so, but once the take up on EVs gathers pace they surely will.

Is the EV charging at a Tesla charging point really FREE ?

Edmund Burke