Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#166 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by IslandPink »

I'm just pissed off because I've suffered the worst wettest winter in history here in North Wales, I've been working for 12 weeks without a break, I have just had my holiday cancelled next week, I was hoping at least to get some time in the countryside next week to chill out, but no. It's the best weather I've seen for over a year - by July or whatever, the weather could deteriorate again and be shit for 6 months.
Just because some people are driving to the Lake District or going to beauty-spot car parks, I'm not allowed to go out somewhere quiet and get some photos. Why don't the police go to those places and clear people out ? - more efficient & targeted.
ps. This is a rant thread btw :confused3:
I've got loads of anxiety about my mother being Ok ( she has to be visited by carers, but could fall at any moment - then what do I do ? ) , it's really getting to me today.
I must get a schedule of phone calls together where I can talk to people . I'm on my own here and sending endless emails, it's just not going to be bearable. Maybe i'll feel more comfortable about it tomorrow.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#167 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Ray P wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:41 pm It's going out on the bike every day that'll give you the strength to go out on your bike every day - just start with shorter, easier rides and build up gradually. If you do it you'll have the option of venturing somewhere different everyday. Solo riding for exercise is fine and totally within the guidance we've been asked to adhere to.
No, I've told you before my body doesn't respond like this. You are lucky not to suffer from Chronic fatigue. It is almost defined by failure respond to a graded exercise programme - look up Dr. Sarah Myhill's discussions about this on her site.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#168 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by Mike H »

pre65 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:33 pm Perhaps she is "vulnerable", which might be OK.

Or, he fancied a shag, which is not OK (according to guidelines). :lol:
No she isn't, she's quite fit, does lots of gardening. Yes think it's more like the latter, hence my concern. Well maybe not actually bonking, but ...

Oh I meant Peak District, not Lake District.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#169 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by IslandPink »

'course my problems are minor compared to those who are self-employed.
JohnG
Old Hand

#170 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by JohnG »

The Country is still at a softly approach to the introducing measures to protect the NHS and bring the projected loss of life and infected person count to a predicted controllable outcome.
If these latest instructions are seen to be flouted by individuals on a regular basis, putting the the Statistic of a individual being responsible for creating 400 new infected in individuals in a month and not the maximum of 15 in a month, if a proper lock down is adhered to, then the measures to enforce the lock down will become very concerning, I am sure individuals seen to completely be in disregard will be put into some sort of detainment in a Barracks or the like.

The Police are being given the Powers to intervene and to enforce the Instruction from the Government.
They are coming to terms on how to deliver that Power to general people of a good nature.
There are always going to be the Push the Boundaries types, the boredom setting in can even trigger some of those type of reactions.
If it the infringements keep on happening and the message doesn't get through, there will be unsettling measures enforced onto individuals who can't give a absolute valid reason for being out, this is already said to be happening in other Countries in Europe, when individuals are out without the correct permits to authorise their liberty.

The Police and Military will not be needing any time to come to terms with how to deliver the new awarded Powers when it comes to other smaller groups within the communities, who are seen to be out as a result of their Alcoholism or Drug Addiction,
with the obvious loss of the supply to the dealers, and the obvious loss of access to individuals to rob, to gain funds,
the knock on effects of these restricted access to the Monies and Substances will be causing all sorts of f**ked Up behaviour.
I can see there are going to be swift measures delivered to control these types of individuals, as who knows what their desperation might be generating, be extra vigilant when out collecting essentials.
How the Police will be dealing with Homelessness and Mentally Ill community members who are not able to comprehend the government instruction will be off a further interest.
Last edited by JohnG on Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#171 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by simon »

Do you have Skype or Teams Mark? We spend quite a bit of time talking to each other, I've spoken to my line manager more since Tuesday than I do usually, though that's largely because of the circumstances.

One half of my team have a daily Teams call, with video. It's mostly a "having the craic" quarter of an hour, making sure people are okay, taking the mick. But we also check everyone knows what they're doing that day. It's good for people's mental health it seems, but none of them live alone anyway.

The other half are less suited to this but I'll suggest they try the same. We're going to be in this for the long haul, so I think this side of isolating will become increasingly important in weeks to come.

Just ideas anyway, I appreciate the way you work might be quite different.
JohnG
Old Hand

#172 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by JohnG »

Not my thing 'Yet', but I have a few work colleagues already taking part in the experience, that being a, 'Virtual Pub Quiz',
I'm not sure how the monies are made, but all monies being raised from one site is going to charity.
There is also a 'Virtual Choir' now that is great, because no matter what your range is, from Drone to Angelic, you just let rip,
hats off to overcoming any concerns about ridiculed or admired.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#173 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Boris has symptoms and is self isolating! He's still in charge though.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#174 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by IslandPink »

I'm set up with Skype for work, Simon. This proved to be a mixed blessing yesterday morning, we had an hour and a half intensive discussion about polarisation, with the other optical designers, that ran into my lunch break. Also it was v.confusing as we had two ways of getting into it, one direct via the home machine, or 2. via the work PC that we were logged into via a VPN and remote desktop. This proved to be stressful for a while as I was locked out of the discussion till I figured it out, more by chance than understanding. However for 1 to 1 chats with people it'll be straightforward.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#175 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by IslandPink »

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#176 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Are you OK, Paul ? I saw a joke pop up, but any updates on your pneumonia ?
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#177 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Where I am now Mark is stuck in a Telegraph page where they require a subscription. I'm going shopping instead.

Brand new day!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
JohnG
Old Hand

#178 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by JohnG »

Day Eight of a Total House Bound Lock Down.
I've been into the attached garage twice, and received a Amazon Package.

I'm totally healthy at present and can do many things as a distraction, for a very strange reason, the weirdness of the enforced loss of liberty and inactivity is refreshingly welcome.

I have all the concerns of the Self Employed, but if I can make a contribution to protect those who have no choice but to confront this awful disease at the front line, then I'm a keen participant.

It does feel good to be in a group of many millions of individuals who are doing their bit to reign in the spread of the Corona Virus.
There is great media coverage showing amusing to stimulating pastimes to be expressive and creative, so many of these are very welcome and watchable.

It would be great to see how much the Corporations are doing to support the wide variety of workers,
who are going through daily exposures to the risks of contracting this illness,
a simple gesture would be to not charge for any household services, if a house owner/ or tenant is Tested Positive and going through a Isolation from all activities to support the fight as a front line worker.

I'm sure there are many more arrangements that can be done by these Corporations, free travel too and from work, to show how appreciated the staff are for doing their roles.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#179 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by Ray P »

How's this for a great bit of service from UPS.

It turns out that my package (from Digikey) has been 'returned to sender' by their Exeter depot with no attempt to make a delivery. Their reasoning is that I have set up an instruction to redirect any UPS deliveries to their local drop off point but that will be closed because of Covid-19 (it's actually a convenience store that is still open). It doesn't seem to have occured to them to try and deliver it to my home address - it's not exactly rocket science to work out that there is very likely to be someone at home during the 'lockdown' period. What a bunch of muppets.

I've not been impressed with UPS for a while as they consistently over promise and under-deliver - any parcel they handle arrives a day or two after their system says it will.

Ggrrrr. Now I have to try and sort out the order with Digikey.

Before anyone asks, I use Digikey because IME they typically have a better inventory, better stock and better pricing than the UK factors.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#180 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by izzy wizzy »

It's an instant eyeroll if I know UPS are delivering. Quite often they don't try to deliver and do a mass dump at a "convenience" store across town. Maybe return to sender is now that equivalent for them.