Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Nick
Site Admin

#11011 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Still no general flying car though.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11012 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Probably just as well! There's enough crashes on the ground :D

Altho much reduced risk if they were robot vehicles presumably. Which they're NOT in The Jetsons, the people fly them with like joystick controls. :shock: Also there's the hover jet back pack, so you've got "pedestrians" to contend with as well!

At least a couple of the stories are about an anti gravity invention which either Jetson's company (that he works for, doesn't own) or a rival want to exploit. Typically, massive farce-like misunderstandings, or One-Foot-In-The-Grave type unlikely coincidences, mean they both drop it.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11013 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

Mike H wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:10 pm
4. moving walkways. Which now exist in airports etc.
Ah yeah but no but.

Moving Sidewalks existed in the 60s.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_Sidewalks

I claim my Master Level pedant £5 prize!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Greg
Social outcast

#11014 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Greg »

No f*cking sidewalk or walkways in the airports I use. Some, I have to walk for miles!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11015 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Dave the bass wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:22 pm
Mike H wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:10 pm
4. moving walkways. Which now exist in airports etc.
Ah yeah but no but.

Moving Sidewalks existed in the 60s.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_Sidewalks

I claim my Master Level pedant £5 prize!
I did wonder, thanks.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#11016 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by simon »

Greg wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:01 am No f*cking sidewalk or walkways in the airports I use. Some, I have to walk for miles!
I think that's what's called a "first world problem" Greg :lol:
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11017 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Cressy Snr »

On 19 December, I bought a Tangent CDII CD player, and the other day I put a perforated aluminium, 1970s head-shell on the Rega R200 arm.

I have hardly listened to any streaming media or iTunes purchased music for over three weeks now.
Sitting here, enveloped by Beethoven 6 and “The Ruins of Athens” on the gramophone It would appear that my long running affair with computer music is in danger of disappearing. I’ve taken this damned throat illness as an opportunity to majorly rethink what stuff actually means.

The Light Programme or The Home Service on the restored 1953 Baird wireless set provides a nice mellow backdrop to household chores, I listen to whole albums on the CD player or turntable and have completely lost interest in the ersatz life of the internet.

The BBC is all the live TV we watch. All commercial TV broadcasts of interest, get time-shifted with the TiVo box, so we can scroll at high speed through the adverts; now that’s a useful application of computer technology. Apart from one helping of news in the morning on the BBC and a local news programme in the evening, all other means of accessing the news is banned.
I read them paper things with pages; books I think they are called.

And my point is? Wish I knew. NUUUURSE!
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Wolfgang
Old Hand

#11018 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Wolfgang »

And my point is? Wish I knew.
I think this is a healthy reaction against constant over stimulation!

I use music streaming services only for finding new music and for this it is of great help.

The best way for me to really relax, however, is to listen to vinyl, no jumping around from title to title. And Beethoven's 6th is an incredibly beautiful composition! Just saying....
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11019 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Cressy Snr »

Wolfgang wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:56 pm
And my point is? Wish I knew.
I think this is a healthy reaction against constant over stimulation! .....And Beethoven's 6th is an incredibly beautiful composition! Just saying....
Indeed :D

Since disengaging from the internet and the non-stop pounding of TV ads, the constant state of anxiety I’ve suffered for at least ten years, has mysteriously evaporated. I’m tired with the throat illness, it’s true, but I’m also tired from the comedown from the cortisol addiction.

Chilling with some Delius on vinyl at the moment.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11020 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Cressy Snr wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:07 pm And my point is? Wish I knew. NUUUURSE!
Nothing is without change. :D

You'll go back to online stuff or whatever when it does what you want next.

I frequently migrate from one type of entertainment medium to another. Before Xmas I was listening to local radio shows, which incidentally were downloaded from BBC Sounds on't net so I could listen when, pause, skip, repeat, back-track, play again, you get the idea. Before that it was iTunes playlists.

Got bored with that (the radio) so at the mo it's DVD's, films and shit. This includes what's been recorded by my TV onto USB (I haven't actually sat and watched the TV for a couple of years now, any programmes I'm interested in I have it record. Also I can use a DVD recorder, and both types of files are played back on the laptop, with the stereo system acting for the sound via Bluetooth [VLC player can play both formats]).

When I get bored with that I may go back to vynil again, perhaps ... I may get out the Dansette again just for the novelty factor .. :D

Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11021 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Cressy Snr »

Suffering from G.A.D. as I do, I’m afraid I find the internet, apart from forums, a hostile, threatening environment. Didn’t used to, pre G.A.D. I ran a network of Macs from 2001-2005 as ICT coordinator in the school I worked in. Now I despise the online environment. It terrifies the life out of me. I fired up my Mac Mini for the first time in quite a while, when I sent something to Simon, a few weeks back. Wi-fi is off on my phone. I don’t have a data contract, so no wi-fi, no internet.

I’ve disabled all notifications, including visual indicators that I have email. News feeds are off. The only thing I use on the iPad now, is my banking app and the web browser. All bookmarks apart from here, HFS and my essentials such as utilities, and my pension sites are erased. It makes it difficult to look obsessively for information until the results confirm anything I get anxious about.

At 62, I have to start looking after myself. You do start to consider your mortality and how much longer your body can put up with the high cortisol levels before something gives way.

I was diagnosed with G.A.D at age 60. The Doctor gave me three years unless I learned to manage the condition, which really brought home to me the deadly seriousness of the situation. I took my tablets and thought initially that doing that and a bit of mindfulness and therapy would be enough, but it isn’t I’m afraid; doesn’t work like that unfortunately. Buying the CD player before Christmas has unexpectedly allowed me to isolate the major contributor to my disorder, ie the internet. Don’t ask me why, the mind is a strange thing. But if the internet, email and pounding adverts on TV is the main trigger, then I’d be an idiot, not to take action to minimise exposure to it, especially given the potentially, very serious consequences of not doing so.

This is one reason my posting rate has dropped away significantly. The other is I’ve become too frightened to order anything on line. So until I can manage the anxiety better, there can’t be any projects. But if that’s the price of peace of mind, then I can live with it. I’ve had it with being in a near constant state of terror, and reducing the exposure to triggers over the past three weeks has given me a taste of what it’s like to be ‘normal’ of that’s the right word.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11022 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Wow! :shock:

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11023 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

I can see myself sliding into another nutritional dispute here, Steve, but I really think you need to get your Magnesium levels tested. I had a lot of the problems you describe, back in 2007. I went to the trouble of having RBC Magnesium ( red blood cell ) tested, and mine was low, or at least on the bottom of the 'healthy' range. But Magnesium was already on my radar for reasons relating to Chronic Fatigue. It took me a long time to get it up to mid-range levels, but most of the problems went away. It would take me too long to justify why it was this, and not something else, that helped, but you will find LOADS of links to magnesium and G.A.D. if you start ( or get someone else ! ) to look.
Bear in mind stress will lower magnesium and it doesn't come back up easily.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11024 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Greg
Social outcast

#11025 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Greg »

So how much Magnesium should we be taking? Loads of products available through your supermarket or online from Amazon. Many have different Magnesium doses. What is the recommended daily dose?