Post by Ali Tait »

Mike H wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:00 pm What tablets are you on? :lol:
Hitch Hikers’ Guide To The Galaxy don’t cher know. :D
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10937 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Yes I got that afterwards. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10938 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

Talking of recent gigs in the other post about SH and Gong reminded me...
Michael L wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:41 pm One of my favourite artists - Dweezle Zappa is on tour this December but the nearest he is playing to me is at the Town Hall in Birmingham. Once bitten twice shy - saw him there a few years back and the sound was a congested muddle thanks to the poor acoustics of the venue. I was wondering if anyone on here knew how Manchester's Palace Theatre fares sound wise.
I forgot to update about that Gig, did you go Michael? I did. I got a ticket for the London Festival date.

It was flippin' awethumne IMO. Massive variety of material (that I'm not all that familiar with not being a big FZ fan) after the Hot Rats set interspersed with set pieces and dialogue from Dweezil, most impressive.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Nick
Site Admin

#10939 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Dave the bass wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:06 pm Talking of recent gigs in the other post about SH and Gong reminded me...
Michael L wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:41 pm One of my favourite artists - Dweezle Zappa is on tour this December but the nearest he is playing to me is at the Town Hall in Birmingham. Once bitten twice shy - saw him there a few years back and the sound was a congested muddle thanks to the poor acoustics of the venue. I was wondering if anyone on here knew how Manchester's Palace Theatre fares sound wise.
I forgot to update about that Gig, did you go Michael? I did. I got a ticket for the London Festival date.

It was flippin' awethumne IMO. Massive variety of material (that I'm not all that familiar with not being a big FZ fan) after the Hot Rats set interspersed with set pieces and dialogue from Dweezil, most impressive.
Yep, I was happy as a happy thing after hearing them in Leeds town hall (see organ picture in other thread). Even got Kaye to go with me as well and she didn't run screaming from the room :-). They recreated the sound of Hot Rats better than I would have thought possible, though there was a lot of multi tasking going on. There was a couple of moment in the set where I realised they had dropped back to a trio and was still making a huge and complex sound. Good range of non hot rats stuff, there was a lot to chose from, but most eras were covered from Freak Out onwards.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#10940 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

Nick wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:29 pm

Yep, I was happy as a happy thing after hearing them in Leeds town hall (see organ picture in other thread).
drat and double drat, I missed that, not sure how I missed it.

On reflection, looking on the bright side, if I had gone I'd probably not remember I'd gone by this time.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10941 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

Did they cover 'My Sharona' at the Leeds gig Nick? Dweezil gave a bit of background as to why they played it and managed to slot FZ material inside its form. Apparently Dad used to slot it into one of his pieces, he didn't like it Dweezil explained but the Hot Rats band do so they played it in its entirety. I chortled.

The Bassist was awethumne IMO, that sound he got on the little bass uke or summat on 'Little Umbrellas' was clever.

I enjoyed that gig more than the Gong/Hillage gig, never thought I'd say that.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Nick
Site Admin

#10942 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Yes to all the above.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10943 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10944 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Our Ray and Greg could be on the edge of a nasty bit of weather at Christmas.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-50892037
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10945 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Hmmm...
I suspect Ray will go out on his bike to have a closer look !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#10946 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

IslandPink wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:38 pm I suspect Ray will go out on his bike to have a closer look !
Well, I am planning to ride tomorrow and probably Christmas day too - with Judy being unwell we're having a very quiet time with just the two of us at home, no visitors and no visiting, so I thought it would be good to try and be pro-active in managing the surplus of calories.

I've been out this morning, nearly 40miles up on the hills where gravity means its generally a bit drier - still had to ride through about a foot of water in one place though.

I want to go and have a look at the Somerset Levels but it'll be a bit hit and miss because I expect a lot of the roads I would normally ride will be impassable, though some numpties will undoubtedly try, and covered with lots of mud where they're not.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10947 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Curently listening to a radio programme from late Friday evening, traffic news, M23 flooded and closed near Crawley! :shock:

Also A414 near Epping forest (broadcast time 10pm - 1am)

Crash on A14 near A1, also A12

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#10948 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

pre65 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:19 pm Our Ray and Greg could be on the edge of a nasty bit of weather at Christmas.
The Met Office has put out a yellow warning about thunderstorms that sounds a bit apocalyptic but no sign of anything so far, just a bit breezy!
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10949 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Dungeness at dawn this morning...
IMG_20191224_072724-1008x756.jpg
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10950 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Cressy Snr »

True to form, something’s gorn ‘an broken on Christmas Eve.
Last year it was the upstairs loo cistern handle that came off in my hand, today it’s the OTL; not as urgent a problem as the loo cistern last year; more of a minor annoyance in comparison with that calamity. Earlier this afternoon, the OTL gently faded away on the left channel, so enter the NVA A20/P20, which TBH, is doing a perfectly decent job as a stand-in, as I write this.

The TV is complete, utter garbage over the festive season; the worst in my memory, so the music is going to get used a lot. Thank Gawd for solid state I say. :lol:
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.