6v smps

What people are working on at the moment
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#16 Re: 6v smps

Post by Mike H »

Only one way to find out! :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#17 Re: 6v smps

Post by Mike H »

I found some old LTspice files from when I was last messing with this can't believe it was 2013 :shock:

But here is 6.3V reg using external power transistor

-
MC34063_fil_heater 6_3V 1A.asc
MC34063_fil_heater 6_3V 1A.asc

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
ed
retired

#18 Re: 6v smps

Post by ed »

izzy wizzy wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:12 pm The Meanwell SMPS I have overload on startup but recover and then startup slowly when driving the fils direct. I've had other SMPS fail to start after overload.
I immediately thought of thermistors here....not sure whether it's relevent at 4 amps though.
A couple of CL60s in the circuit might be safe enough. I'm sure with a bit of searching something a bit more heavy duty might be found.
I'm going to get a couple of 7.5v units to have a fiddle...what's the worst that could happen!
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#19 Re: 6v smps

Post by izzy wizzy »

ed wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:58 am
izzy wizzy wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:12 pm The Meanwell SMPS I have overload on startup but recover and then startup slowly when driving the fils direct. I've had other SMPS fail to start after overload.
I immediately thought of thermistors here....not sure whether it's relevent at 4 amps though.
A couple of CL60s in the circuit might be safe enough. I'm sure with a bit of searching something a bit more heavy duty might be found.
I'm going to get a couple of 7.5v units to have a fiddle...what's the worst that could happen!
It's in the spec sheet, the ones I have anyway; recovery from overload feature or summit. If you need resistors to drop the voltage, they might help on startup. My SMPSs are about 4A ish for the GM70s and were 5A for the 813s..

I liked the effect of a CM choke in there. Was going to get a feed through capacitor thingy as well but didn't get around to it as popped the Lehane regs in. But I will try the CM choke again before the regs to see what happens.