Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Neal
Shed dweller

#10636 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

Crumbs, the central heating cut in Saturday morning, the women are already complying it’s cold! :mrgreen:
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10637 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Just wanted to gloat a bit about this.

I volunteer for the National Trust as a cabinet maker & joiner at the Scotney Castle workshops - we make (and repair) stuff mostly from seasoned, but occasionally green, oak for many of the Trust properties in the South East. 4 of us...

Just finished a Lutyens bench - 8 ft long. The raw sawn oak alone cost over GBP 500 - it's complex to make - loads of joints, different timber sizes & techniques and has to be exact as the Trust are very particular (we measured and cloned an original). Lutyens may have been a great architect and designer, but he patently knew little about cabinetry... It's also not particularly comfortable !
IMG-20190909-WA0003-1036x583.jpeg
Last edited by jack on Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10638 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Very nice! :thumbleft:

Is there anything you can't do? :lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ant
Shed dweller

#10639 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Well that was one particularly rubbish day....
One thing after another, including but not limited to, a proxxon mf70 arriving via parcelforce, 3 days late, and broken.
The seller had written the wrong address on the box and evidently thought that a plastic bag wrapped around it in the box (no other packaging whatsoever) was fine as packaging on something worth a couple of hundred quid.
Parcelforce evidently thought that it was OK to use the box as a makeshift football.
Result, one broken compound table.
Caused by one inept seller and one inept company.
Not wanting to argue, fight, shout and lose a load of money on the bloody thing, I thought I'd calm down and have a look at it first.
Turns out that the handwheel on the x axis had been whacked and bent, upward, bending the leadscrew which broke the small threaded captive bush that it runs through.
I've straightened the leadscrew and rebuilt the handwheel, assembly, I now need to make a new bushing to replace the broken one. It looks like it was made of nylon, I have a bit of delrin somewhere left over from making a mounting collar for the Rega r200 on mi dad's lenco so that will do. Checked the thread pitch which is an m6x1, have the correct pitch tap somewhere.
So very very annoyed, then son number 2 announced that he has his swimming lesson tomorrow.
At 5.30.
When all the shops are shut.
And he doesn't have any swimming shorts of the correct colour.
The only place open is a big tesco 2 villages away.
A 50 minute walk each way in the rain ensued, to no avail.
And the battery I ordered for my phone 2 weeks ago with a local repair shop still hasn't got to them, and as its a sealed phone I've had to pay 25 quid to have it fitted, I still have a phone that wont charge after son number 2 spilled tea all over it and left it in said puddle of tea.
I must have made 20 phone calls to various companies today and got absolutely nowhere.
Need a stiff drink...
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10640 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Ant wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:24 pm Well that was one particularly rubbish day....
Need a stiff drink...
Blimey! 😱
Ant
Shed dweller

#10641 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Blimey is right although I did say something similar a few times today but in a more colourful manner.

Very nice job on the bench by the way, looks like it was a pig of a job. About a million mortices and tenons by the looks of it

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10642 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Ant wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:58 pm Very nice job on the bench by the way, looks like it was a pig of a job. About a million mortices and tenons by the looks of it
Thanks.. Lots of mortice & tenons, however we have a Festool Domino which is awesome plus I used some pocket screws for the odd extremely nasty/fiddly non-structural joint. Well over 100 joints in total, many at odd angles...
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10643 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

jack wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:34 pm
Ant wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:24 pm Well that was one particularly rubbish day....
Need a stiff drink...
Blimey! 😱
+1 !
Ant wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:24 pm And he doesn't have any swimming shorts of the correct colour.
Which is? (And why?)

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ant
Shed dweller

#10644 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Black so that the kid can be seen underwater apparently

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10645 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

And there was me thinking it was so they all match, like school uniform, silly me :lol:

Ant
Shed dweller

#10646 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Better day today
Finished a switching unit build made of olivewood which looks really nice,
Repair company rang to say the phone battery had arrived so that got fixed, and fixed the compound table on the mf70 milling machine. I turned up a new threaded bush in steel rather than delrin, shouldn't be able to break that. Looks like a barrel nut that you would find on a flat pack bed or something like that.
found my proper dormer tap set too to do it, (been missing for ages) didn't want to use the ancient monkey metal tap set that I have had from being about 17, before I knew what proper tools were.... It's rubbish.

Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#10647 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

Ant wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:09 pm Better day today
:D
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10648 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

:thumbup:
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10649 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

:thumbright:

Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#10650 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

I'm going places - just achieved the status of 'Social Outcast' :munky2:
Sorry, I couldn't resist!