Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10606 Re: Peach

Post by jack »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:24 pm Processed from Hubble data, by famous amateur planetary astrophotographer, Damian Peach -
http://www.damianpeach.com/hstproc/jup2 ... Bhstdp.jpg
Very nice...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#10607 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

Processed from Hubble data, by famous amateur planetary astrophotographer, Damian Jupiter -

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ray P

#10608 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

Sorry Mark, I just couldn't help myself...

The Jupiter image is fantastic BTW.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10609 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

simon wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:01 pm I remember going to a pub in The Dales not long after I went veggie, over 20 years ago. We've been going there over 30 years and I knew the menu was based on cow and pig, and gingerly asked if they might be able to rustle something up for me as I was now veggie.

The landlord had a think and suggested, genuinely, that he might be able to find some chicken in the freezer. I politely declined explaining again that I was veggie.

The look on his face was priceless - somewhere between finding out that Thatcher was a actually a man and someone defacating in his hand as he replied "Yer dunt eat chicken???!!!" Think I had sausage egg and chips, without the sausage.
Excellent Image

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10610 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Dave the bass wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:35 pm S'true! What with my superb fitness and diet regime (bwahahahahaha etc etc) I went sooooo far beyond carbon neutral that I've had to cut down on the cycling, eat more crisps and do more motorcycling to even up the balance.

13st 10lbs, filling out nicely.

Doh! :)
jack wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:06 pm So, as you're such an exemplar of a carbon sink, we need to prevent you being exposed to the atmosphere least you release too much ozone-depleting gas (probably too late for that!) and precipitate a global warming catastrophy...

Ergo, you should save the planet by wrapping yourself in cling film (single use plastic), grabbing some breeze blocks and jumping into the North Sea. A deep bit. :drunken:

Or not, as the case may be...
I'm in hysterics Image Image Image

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10611 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Ray P wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:03 pm Sorry Mark, I just couldn't help myself...
Peach is a regular subject of discussion between me and my friend Brian ( who used to sell telescope mirrors ) - as in 'The full Peach' or 'Peached to the max' etc etc.
But if you look at his website or blog, you can see how shockingly close he gets to the Hubble images, using a 14" Celestron telescope over the last 10 years.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10612 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

So, the saga continues.

I've replaced the rotten timbers with courses of brick, but in the years the timber was slowly disintegrating, the two courses of brick above have dropped slightly (lime mortar wet over many many years).

I can't scutch those bricks as doing so would cause even more courses of brick to collapse, thus a wall rebuild would result.

So, we're hammering in wedges of slate into the failing remains of the lime mortar thus stabilising the wall. This will then be repointed and then rendered with sand, cement and an SBR admix.

Just borrowed this tower from a friend so the brickie and plasterer can work safely.

Also visited elderly neighbor who's patio backs onto the back of this building and repositioned the downpipe from the guttering so that it doesn't wet the back wall... All of 10 quids worth of bits and a quick job.

Now going to other neighbor with 40 new Kent pegs to repair the roof on their side which is in poor condition...

Onwards...

IMG_20190816_124045-665x887.jpg
IMG_20190816_125118-846x635.jpg
Ray P

#10613 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

I bought some railings on ebay to complete our sun terrace that sits atop our garage (we live on a slope and the garage is semi-buried); a real bargain, exact size I need and unused - all for £80 instead of the £700-800 quotes I've seen.

Today I hired a van and went to collect them from Gillingham in Dorset (pronounced with a hard G unlike the Jillingham in Kent) - what a nightmare on the roads, the 109 mile round trip took me 5.25hrs, of which 5hrs was spent listening to the radio in a VW Transporter!
Neal
Shed dweller

#10614 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

Who knew, Basil Brush was loosely based on Terry Thomas
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10615 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Neal wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:15 pm Who knew, Basil Brush was loosely based on Terry Thomas
I thought that was common knowledge. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10616 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

pre65 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:28 pm
Neal wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:15 pm Who knew, Basil Brush was loosely based on Terry Thomas
I thought that was common knowledge. :wink:
It was on Radio 4 this week
Neal
Shed dweller

#10617 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

It was on The Chase tonight, I need to get out more obviously! :D
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Ant
Shed dweller

#10618 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Got myself some new (to me) cans the other day.
Gone wireless with a set of sennheiser rs180s, always had sennys apart from a pair of audio technica ath7 electret ones, but because I can't sit near the system (had to sit on the floor with the AT cans and I'm getting abit old to be doing that) I went for these.
Yes wired ones would probably perform better but these are real nice sounding, really comfortable, and I can sit on an actual sofa while using them
So that's good.
Very pleased with them
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10619 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

:thumbleft:

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10620 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Interesting alternative to windmills -
https://vortexbladeless.com/
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"