Room Treatment (Split from Owston thread)

Subjects that don't have their own home
Nick
Site Admin

#16 Re: Room Treatment (Split from Owston thread)

Post by Nick »

Yep, I know "drive the room" is not that precise. I suspect the problem is the layout of the speakers in the room are what you would do in a small room with the speakers close to the far wall, and relatively close together, whereas (by comparison) some of the better sounding rooms at Munich has speakers a third of the way down the room and closer to the side walls. It may be that the distance and dimensions means we re listening in the far field so the room is playing a far bigger part on the sound.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#17 Re: Room Treatment (Split from Owston thread)

Post by ed »

try this on the floor....

http://www.terram.com/products/grass-me ... -mesh.html

but I wouldn't recommend walking in bare feet.

and I'd definitely go for skyline on the wall facing the speakers
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#18 Re: Room Treatment (Split from Owston thread)

Post by IslandPink »

Now I'm going to be seeing adverts for grass reinforcement products for the next 6 weeks !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
JohnG
Old Hand

#19 Re: Room Treatment (Split from Owston thread)

Post by JohnG »

To the uninitiated looking in on this thread, it would be difficult to gather the purpose of the discussion.
The discussion is about the listening room used for the Yorkshire HiFi Club Meetings.
It is a large well presented room in a Basement with a through wall to a Adjoining Room that leads to a Staircase.
The adjoining room and staircase are not closed of from the main listening room.
I hope that helps those who have not made a trip to a event, I'm sure there are a few images knocking about to get the full idea, usually with the host of the event taking centre stage :lol:
Now the discussion is going scientific, I recall Dave made a comment about his room acoustic Treatment already incorporated.
I feel sure he explained that the individuals who supplied the treatment, set up a measurement system and then advised on the panel type and panel placement.
These measurements might be logged somewhere and available to review ?
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#20 Re: Room Treatment (Split from Owston thread)

Post by mainscablesrus »

JohnG wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:20 pm To the uninitiated looking in on this thread, it would be difficult to gather the purpose of the discussion.
The discussion is about the listening room used for the Yorkshire HiFi Club Meetings.
It is a large well presented room in a Basement with a through wall to a Adjoining Room that leads to a Staircase.
The adjoining room and staircase are not closed of from the main listening room.
I hope that helps those who have not made a trip to a event, I'm sure there are a few images knocking about to get the full idea, usually with the host of the event taking centre stage :lol:
Now the discussion is going scientific, I recall Dave made a comment about his room acoustic Treatment already incorporated.
I feel sure he explained that the individuals who supplied the treatment, set up a measurement system and then advised on the panel type and panel placement.
About right there chief.

I need to put a curtain over the entrance to the main room for sure. I have ceiling panels to put up when I get time (hey what is that exactly I never seem to have any spare) and also more panels to put on the walls.

I think the ceiling panels will help things and also some coving as that's easy to glue in place.

I have been playing about with amplifiers and pre-amps in the last week or so. I don't need to change my phono stage so I know that is the best it can be, turntables and cartridges I have plenty, weak point is pre-amp and power amp, maybe weak is the wrong word, its the best sonic match with the speakers I am after, the 833 amplifiers I am collecting on Thursday don't need a pre amp so I am keeping my fingers crossed they will give me 9/10's of what I am after.

Also getting this for a play for a few days with a Graham arm on it.

You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
ed
retired

#21 Re: Room Treatment (Split from Owston thread)

Post by ed »

JohnG wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:20 pm To the uninitiated looking in on this thread, it would be difficult to gather the purpose of the discussion.
Are you advising that this thread is not necessary?
Are we not worthy to comment?...it does sound like it unless I miss your point. From what you say the 'individuals' have said all that is needed to be said. Did I misunderstand?
chris661
Shed dweller

#22 Re: Room Treatment (Split from Owston thread)

Post by chris661 »

You'll have fun with those amps. When the meet comes around, it'd be interesting to see how they compare to something similarly over-the-top from the solid state world, and I'd be happy to bring that boat anchor Crown amp along to see what's what.

Sounds like the acoustic treatment is almost finished. Will be interested to see how it all comes together.

Just a thought when it comes to measurements - we all know that swapping out different amps or speakers gives a different sound - how about a frequency sweep of each to see if anything obvious turns up? - For instance, I'd expect a SET with a high Z-out to have a different bass response (and distortion profile) than a solid-state amp, which would show up in acoustic measurements.

Just a thought.

Any chance of setting a date yet?

Chris
JohnG
Old Hand

#23 Re: Room Treatment (Split from Owston thread)

Post by JohnG »

No advising at all.
Dave has made it clear there is still outstanding treatments to be added, making the room, a work in progress.
I thought if Dave was in possession of the measurements from the treatment service, he could have offered them up for analysis from a few members who may understand them.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#24 Re: Room Treatment (Split from Owston thread)

Post by Mike H »

Ed, I didn't read it like that at all. I read it as, just an explanation for anyone jumping into the thread with no clear idea what it's all about. :D

Info only. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
ed
retired

#25 Re: Room Treatment (Split from Owston thread)

Post by ed »

Mike H wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:18 pm Ed, I didn't read it like that at all. I read it as, just an explanation for anyone jumping into the thread with no clear idea what it's all about. :D

Info only. :D
noted..
when something is not clear to me or seems ambiguous I often ask for confirmation, well I do if it's something I'm interested in.
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#26 Re: Room Treatment (Split from Owston thread)

Post by mainscablesrus »

One roof panel up so far, difficult job to do on ones own.

Coving not recommended according to my expert on the matter Mr GIK.

New amplifiers picked up tonight will be plumbed in soon.
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#27 Re: Room Treatment (Split from Owston thread)

Post by izzy wizzy »

mainscablesrus wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:22 pm One roof panel up so far, difficult job to do on ones own.
Don't know what your panels look like but for sticking plasterboard on the ceiling solo, these things help https://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-steel- ... pack/78272

Cheers,
Stephen
chris661
Shed dweller

#28 Re: Room Treatment (Split from Owston thread)

Post by chris661 »

Just wondering if we're anywhere closer to setting a date for a gathering.

FWIW, I took delivery of some acoustic panels yesterday (found them on eBay - small manufacturing defects meant they were heavily discounted) and took a before/after measurement. The frequency response didn't change much, but the impulse response cleaned up considerably over longer time spans.

Chris
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#29 Re: Room Treatment (Split from Owston thread)

Post by mainscablesrus »

Its a busy month, just finished the Cranage show and off on holiday next week.

Could possibly do end of July will advise shortly.
chris661
Shed dweller

#30 Re: Room Treatment (Split from Owston thread)

Post by chris661 »

Fair enough. Take time to relax - I'm happy whenever.

If anything, the later the meet, the more likely it is that my speakers are finished...

Chris