Having a bit of a clear-out

Caveat emptor, Caveat venditor
chris661
Shed dweller

#1 Having a bit of a clear-out

Post by chris661 »

The new speakers are most of the way there, with crossover parts on their way. The prototypes have been approved for living room use, so, I'm selling off most of my previous speakers, plus some other bits and bats. If you'd like pictures, please email me: info (at) grimshawaudio (dot) com - that way, I can take pictures on my phone and send them directly.

I'd prefer to avoid posting. I'll give them a week or so here, and then start putting them on eBay. Happy to take offers on sets of items.

Here goes:

- First up, the small black Fostex speakers I brought to Owston. Most of you have heard them and know what they do. They're pretty good for the size of the box. They're a 4ohm nominal load - partner with a little class D amp for a cute office/kitchen/whatever system. Port-blocking socks aren't included, but are recommended for use near walls. With both ports open, there's more output in the 70Hz range and a lot less below - more impressive, less accurate IMO.
I paid £40 to get the speakers in a job lot and put about £25 into the crossover. £50 takes them.

- 2x Fostex FE126E, fully Planet10 treated matched pair with phase plugs. They're mounted in some cabinets but I'm constantly worried about damaging the cones, so they need to go to someone who'll enjoy them. As is typical for these drivers, there's a bit of a peak just under 7kHz. I can work up values for a notch filter and/or Zobel if you like. £100 the pair.
I also have cabinets that are intended to house the Fostex FE126s and a 6.5" midbass driver, the idea being to have a 2-way speaker with a crossover point away from the critical midrange frequencies. I'd like to keep the 6.5" drivers I used, but the cabinets can be had for free with the Fostex drivers. They were built by Colin, and are covered in Santos rosewood veneer.

- The 10" sub I brought to Owston. Box needs some work to finish it off. £20. Fun to watch the cone flap around, if nothing else.

- 2x 12" sub. 2x JBL GTO1214 in a dual-opposed sealed box. Like a B&W PV1. £60. Let me know if you want it as 2x 4ohm or 1x 2ohm or 1x 8ohm.

- A set of vintage Akai equipment. I have an AM2250 and the matching tuner, AT2250, in the dark grey finish. Nice bits of kit, decent condition. £80 for the pair.

- 2x Rane 15B stereo graphic EQs. 15 band, switchable between +/-12dB and +/-6dB. £20 each.

- A C.Audio RA3001. Older model PA amplifier, still sounds decent. 400w/ch into 8ohm, a little over 600w/ch into 4ohm. I've replaced the PSU caps with some bigger ones. Add a silent fan (pretty sure it's 12v), and you've got a usefully powerful solid-state amplifier. I've lost the screws for the lid. Make me an offer.

- Behringer EP1500 with a silent fan fitted. Decent condition. Basically a copy of a QSC amplifier, so it actually sounds pretty good. Can't remember the power figures off-hand, but it was something like 250/400/500w/ch into 8/4/2ohm. £100.

- Denon PMA350 Mk2. Decent working order, missing volume knob. £30

- Two pairs of Viscount V15P speakers. These are high-efficiency 8" coaxials. Sound pretty good, could maybe use a bit of crossover work as the very top end is a bit bright for my liking. Surprising amount of bass for what they are. External condition isn't perfect - when they were posted to me, they had been taped together, so there are some sticky marks from that. £50 per pair, £90 for all four.

I think that's all for now.

Cheers,
Chris
chris661
Shed dweller

#2 Re: Having a bit of a clear-out

Post by chris661 »

PS - first to buy a pair of speakers gets first refusal on the stands.

Chris
Greg
Social outcast

#3 Re: Having a bit of a clear-out

Post by Greg »

This thread needs photo’s. 🙄😉😀
SimonC
Old Hand

#4 Re: Having a bit of a clear-out

Post by SimonC »

Chris,
I'll take the EP 1500 :)

Rgs
Simon
chris661
Shed dweller

#5 Re: Having a bit of a clear-out

Post by chris661 »

Greg wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:48 pm This thread needs photo’s. 🙄😉😀
Working on it.
SimonC wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:46 am Chris,
I'll take the EP 1500 :)

Rgs
Simon
I've replied to your message as I might have other amps that will suit you better. For now, the EP1500 has your name on it.

Chris
chris661
Shed dweller

#6 Re: Having a bit of a clear-out

Post by chris661 »

It looks like I can't embed the pictures from Google Drive, but here's a link to the photos:

The rosewood cabinets will be heading to Phil shortly, but the FE126 drivers are still available.

Chris