Owston '19 what are you bringing

Subjects that don't have their own home
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#46 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by simon »

Well that seems to have stirred up a little debate :-). TBH I'm a little puzzled by your reply though Nick. All I was saying was that I perceive the risk from the MV rectifiers as low. And having mercury in my head 24/7 is I think probably a bigger risk, albeit also low. I don't think that was much different from your perception of the risk?
Nick wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:45 pm But that’s due to a number of things, first the dentist and nurse is continuously in contact with them, also it may be that before they are "set" they are less safe, also its a place of work, so extra rules there. Finally the disposal will have its own set of rules.
Yes, of course, H&S At Work Act 1974 etc. etc. But I didn't say any different. All I said was that sticking something in your head that at other stages is regarded as hazardous isn't ideal. (FWIW I don't eat tuna either :lol:. We live on a polluted planet and I suspect it will be a long time before we fully understand our toxic burden, but let's not go there...)
Nick wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:45 pm The consequence part of your risk calculation is mitigated by the presence of the clean-up kit, and the likelihood is reduced by putting the things in a box. So I think we have made the effort to meet the intent as well as the letter of the regulations.
Quite so. But I never raised mitigation, as I said it was just a simple comment about the perceived relative risks.
Nick wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:45 pm As to if it matters or not, I agree it doesn't really,
I didn't actually say it didn't matter. It does matter. We're all used to exposed HT and know to keep clear. Well, one year I thought the bar maid was going to stand on 600V of exposed GM70 PS, which quickened my pulse somewhat...
Nick wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:45 pm but if I was the owner of the hall I would be less than pleased to know we thought of the issue and ignored it.
Of course. It would be negligent.

This might just win the award for thread creep!
thomas
Old Hand

#47 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by thomas »

pre65 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:16 am
thomas wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:02 am
As for safety issues...err...spurred on by the loan of DtB's Quads, my weedy 801a's Tower of Power has just morphed into a GK71 amp....the HT is about 665vdc. Funnily enough even I'm getting a few pangs of doubt bringing this beasty up as is....
Resist those pangs dear boy, we need your amp, yes, we really do. :lol:
I'm knocking up a glass screen as we speak....

Further to my previous, a tin foil lined flat baking tray or roulade tray as opposed to something you'd put your turkey in.....actually a 'carrying' tray would do....
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#48 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by jack »

FWIW, I used to be part of the UK Tesla Coil and General High Voltage Nastiness group.

We regularly did stuff that would be considered very dangerous by untrained or unfamiliar folk...

We all had to sign a disclaimer, accepting responsibility for what we were doing and agreeing that by being part of what was going on, we accepted the consequential risk too...

One of our "after party" things was to play with thermite (and an ice-filled pumpkin)- my son, who was 13 at the time, filmed this:

Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#49 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by Dave the bass »

Ali Tait wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:32 am You’ll need to find a pen that works underwater. :D
Tell you what, you sit on the stool and do the risk assessment and I'll keep the pen dry so you can write up the report when/if you get back to the river bank.

Heheheheheh (etc etc etc) :)
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#50 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by Dave the bass »

thomas wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:03 am ......or roulade tray ....
You're so posh you are, proper posh n all that!

Or a Steely Dan fan.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#51 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by Mike H »

What have I started now ... Image

I was all set to say feck it, whatever .....

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Nick
Site Admin

#52 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by Nick »

All I was saying was that I perceive the risk from the MV rectifiers as low. And having mercury in my head 24/7 is I think probably a bigger risk
Yep, I wasnt trying to pick a fight at all, just trying to say that yes, I agree with you and your perception of the risk, but I wanted to make the point that what we may decide is safe for our self may not count as a valid decision to cover something we do in someone else public venue. I wanted a public sign that we were actively thinking about the problem and taking action instead of just deciding its fine.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#53 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:51 am What have I started now ... Image

I was all set to say feck it, whatever .....
Calm thyself lad, all is well. 8)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#54 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by Ali Tait »

Dave the bass wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:12 am
Ali Tait wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:32 am You’ll need to find a pen that works underwater. :D
Tell you what, you sit on the stool and do the risk assessment and I'll keep the pen dry so you can write up the report when/if you get back to the river bank.

So while I’m under the water, I both am and am not a witch then?
Nick
Site Admin

#55 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by Nick »

Ali Tait wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:08 pm
Dave the bass wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:12 am

So while I’m under the water, I both am and am not a witch then?
Unnecessary indeterminate, all it means is your state of witchness is at that point unknowable to observers on the bank.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#56 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by ed »

Nick wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 1:16 pm
Unnecessary indeterminate, all it means is your state of witchness is at that point unknowable to observers on the bank.
do you mean he's a quantum witch or just unknowable in Schrodinger terms?
yeah, come on, which is it?

swidt
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#57 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by Dave the bass »

Ali Tait wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:08 pm So while I’m under the water, I both am and am not a witch then?
Nope.

While you're under the water you're a very wet Scottisherlander stuck on the end of a ducking stool with a dry pencil-wielding hairy hippy Englisher at the controls, what could possibly go wrong!?
Nick
Site Admin

#58 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by Nick »

ed wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 1:38 pm
Nick wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 1:16 pm
do you mean he's a quantum witch or just unknowable in Schrodinger terms?
yeah, come on, which is it?

swidt
Neither, for that to be the case him being a witch would have to be the result of some quantum event, its not, he either is or isn't. The reason the cat in the box is both alive and dead is not because its in a box, its because its in a box with poison that may or may not be released by the decay of a radioactive source.

Of course his witchness is only unknowable to those on the bank if it was unknown before he entered the water. Otherwise, they would know.
Nick
Site Admin

#59 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by Nick »

Dave the bass wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:10 pm
Ali Tait wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:08 pm So while I’m under the water, I both am and am not a witch then?
Nope.

While you're under the water you're a very wet Scottisherlander stuck on the end of a ducking stool with a dry pencil-wielding hairy hippy Englisher at the controls, what could possibly go wrong!?
Well, you may have to define "wrong" first to know that.
Neal
Shed dweller

#60 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by Neal »

A much great concern to public health and safety surely is the likely hood of Phil playing more Val Doonican than is tolerable for our sanity and wellbeing...it’s a serious public health risk that we should all be aware of...Nick is there a clean up kit for that? :D :D :D
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.