Speaker Project for 13E1 amplifier

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#1 Speaker Project for 13E1 amplifier

Post by Ray P »

With the 13E1 amplifier project progressing I'll hopefully soon be experiencing some of the magic Steve experienced with his breadboard version. Assuming a successful conclusion my thoughts are turning towards a new speaker project to partner the amplifier.

I currently use 15ohm Lowther EX4 units in All Fun back-loaded horns - these sound excellent with my Transcendent 300B SE-OTL amps and will partner the 13E1 well but I have an itch I feel the need to scratch.

I currently have a shortlist of two based on my required parameters of high-sensitivity (98dB or higher) and impedance around 15 to 16ohms. The shortlist consists of
  • Utilising my 15ohm Lowthers in Big Fun horns - Big Funs are the big brother to my All Funs, they're physically a little bigger but with a different (tractrix) horn profile and will go down to about 30Hz (All Funs get to about 40Hz), Big Funs have an excellent reputation.
  • LOB (Large Open Baffle) by Lowther America. Again, very well regarded, these use Lowther PM5a (150hm) units coupled to Great Plains Audio 416-16B (16ohm) bass units. Interfacing is via a very simple crossover at 150Hz for the Lowther and 80Hz for the GPA, based on Martin Kings work.
I'm also keen to listen to Steve's retro Fane speakers with his 13E1 amp.

Anyway, does the panel have any suggestions that meet my parameters to add to my list?
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
steve s
Shed dweller

#2 Re: Speaker Project for 13E1 amplifier

Post by steve s »

As a one time user of back loaded ex4s I would not go back,( I still have a couple of pairs ex4 & pm6 in acoustas)

open baffles are another can of worms.. but one I prefer now
They sound much more lifelike and the big dip around 200 Hz you don't hear with bigger back loaded, the music appears there with good baffles
I used a variety of 12 and 15 inch drivers probably the best result was with both 12 and 15" supporting the Lowther
the Lowther rising response to 2.5k can be levelled by having a good 12 inch on a 1st order of 1500 Hz or so.
The goodmans were and still are my favourites lowther support
301/ 61/ 81 are great, They merge seamlessly in my view, ... buying good ones is the challenge.

Once you have added suitable bass drivers the sound changes and will take a little getting used to, but it will be far more 'correct'
I've not heard the great plains. They maybe are good... buti dont think 150hz is high enough to support the Lowther properly.
Steves fanes are also good and could be used as I did with the goodmans.
Even larger sealed boxes may be better match than Steve uses.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Ant
Shed dweller

#3 Re: Speaker Project for 13E1 amplifier

Post by Ant »

The bigger sealed 15" fanes matched with another 15" fane bass driver in series (the fr driver wired in first with the bass driver wired in after it with an inductor to cut it off about 125z ish) could be good and would give 12 to 16r impedance. I've been looking at a fane 15 that is the same as the fr drive but without the wizzers.
But it would be big.
The fr driver takes forever to break in too
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
chris661
Shed dweller

#4 Re: Speaker Project for 13E1 amplifier

Post by chris661 »

I just so happen to have some 16ohm Faital Pro 10FH520 drivers here. I keep thinking about attempting a compact bass module for PA use*, but I'd be as happy to sell them. PM me if you're interested. They'd get pretty low in an ML-TL, and are clean and smooth out to about 2kHz.

*Being 16ohm, it's difficult to get enough voltage swing to drive them properly - I'd have to either dedicate a large amp, or bridge something, to get enough power into them.

Chris
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#5 Re: Speaker Project for 13E1 amplifier

Post by Ali Tait »

This is of interest to me too for the Pinnacle amps. Scott posited a 16ohm version of the Edingdales, which could be good.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: Speaker Project for 13E1 amplifier

Post by Cressy Snr »

Aye, If I ever get my 13E1 amp finished, :roll: I'll be doing a 16 Ohm speaker with two Fane drivers in series and a bigger box, but there's no way it'll be ready for this year's Owston. Some interesting developments are coming up by the look of it. :x
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Ray P

#7 Re: Speaker Project for 13E1 amplifier

Post by Ray P »

Thanks chaps, some interesting input to consider - keep it coming.

Steve S, I'll dig out and post some detail about the Lowther America Open baffles later. More on open baffles to discuss me thinks.

Ant/Steve C, your serial Fanes approach sounds interesting - I'm gonna have to make that trip up North but maybe wait until Steve gets his prototype up and running - none of this is truly urgent.

Chris, thanks for the offer but I'll pass on the Faitals - I don't think they quite suit my thinking or the constraints presented by only having a couple of Watts to play with.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: Speaker Project for 13E1 amplifier

Post by Cressy Snr »

Cressy Snr wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:40 pm Aye, If I ever get my 13E1 amp finished, :roll: I'll be doing a 16 Ohm speaker with two Fane drivers in series and a bigger box, but there's no way it'll be ready for this year's Owston. Some interesting developments are coming up by the look of it. :x
WTF is that angry emoticon about ?
I meant to press the smiley one. :oops:
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
chris661
Shed dweller

#9 Re: Speaker Project for 13E1 amplifier

Post by chris661 »

Ray P wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:28 pm Chris, thanks for the offer but I'll pass on the Faitals - I don't think they quite suit my thinking or the constraints presented by only having a couple of Watts to play with.
Fair enough. They do have usefully high sensitivty, and exceptionally low distortion, which is why I thought I might mention them.

I've been tinkering with designs for ML-TLs, and they can go surprisingly low into the bass. I'd probably then cross to the Lowthers in the 500Hz range.

Chris
Ray P

#10 Re: Speaker Project for 13E1 amplifier

Post by Ray P »

I think Colin's 12in Monacor MLTLs go onto the list, especially if I have the MoFo amp available for the bass driver.