Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
thomas
Old Hand

#10111 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by thomas »

My pleasure DTB- amazing what you see in charity shops nowadays!

Your Quad ESL's are looking at home here! They've spurred me on to building a 5687/5687 IT 300b amp to drive them, which sounds much better than the WE91 copy I used when you dropped them off.....
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10112 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

Oooo, now I'm very interested in that, sounds very similar to my 6C45-> IT -> 300B amp that I intended to convert to the 5687 DC coupler front-end thats been sitting on the shelf since Owston about 4 years ago...

Enjoy 'em. I like those 57's very much, and they're not even firing on all cylinders yet.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
shane
Social outcast

#10113 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

Fifty years ago:

The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
shane
Social outcast

#10114 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

Forty three years ago:

Apparently about 60 people turned up.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
chris661
Shed dweller

#10115 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by chris661 »

Been tinkering with the home stereo a bit today. The speakers I commissioned from Colin (Topps) years back are in place again, with the Tang Band 6.5" mini-subs, Fostex FE126E (P10 treated), and now some ribbon tweeters sat on top for a 3-way configuration.

In the interest of tweaking things quickly and easily, I'm running them with 6x amp channels and a load of DSP. Crossovers are linear-phase, 500Hz and 3kHz.

Getting really good results so far. The Fostex units get rougher towards the treble, but they do have something special in the midrange - I think it's the combination of a powerful motor and a very light cone. Crossing them over before they get rough seems to be a good way of doing things, and it's something I'll explore more in the coming months.

The mini-subs do need a rocket up them to get going, with their sensitivity coming in somewhere around 80dB@1w. The trade-off there is they produce very deep bass from a small box - measurements suggest well below 20Hz, but the room is definitely helping there.

I'm going to run them like this for a week or two and see how it goes, but a passive crossover is likely on the cards - it'd be nice to keep the PA amps for PA stuff.

Chris
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10116 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

chris661 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:28 pm Fostex FE126E (P10 treated), and now some ribbon tweeters sat on top for a 3-way configuration.

Getting really good results so far. The Fostex units get rougher towards the treble, but they do have something special in the midrange - I think it's the combination of a powerful motor and a very light cone. Crossing them over before they get rough seems to be a good way of doing things, and it's something I'll explore more in the coming months.
Very good.
I got a 'loan' pair of the same treated ( FE126eN, anyway ) drivers from Nick.
I have a cunning plan about how they are going to be used ( not to be revealed for a few weeks ) , but dealing with the treble will be a job - as you suggest - I think slow roll-off with a 6.5kHz notch , blending to a short horn fed by the Radian 745Be will be the 'exercise' for the student (me) .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
chris661
Shed dweller

#10117 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by chris661 »

Hi Mark,

Yeah, the ~6.5kHz peak does need a precision strike. I found with that notched, they were pretty good full-range. Handing off to a dedicated tweeter does seem to improve things, so I think you're on a good track there.

Let us know how you get on. The number of permutations my stereo has gone through recently, I might need my own "stirs in the undergrowth" thread!

Chris
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10118 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

SWMBO & I saw The Favourite on Monday just to see what the fuss was about.

Truly excellent film - cracking script, wicked humour and wonderful performances by the leads.

Recommend.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#10119 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ali Tait »

Nick
Site Admin

#10120 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Wake me up when it does something more useful than factoring 15 into 3 * 5 (though doing that took a huge amount of work to get to that point in 2001 with 7 qbits)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#10121 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

do I detect a note of cynicism?

I was tickled into remembering this, which I've shamelessly reproduced. I do hope it doesn't infringe any copyright:

Comment in the New York Times one week before the successful flight of the Kitty Hawk by the Wright brothers:

"...We hope that Professor Langley will not put his substantial greatness as a scientist in further peril by continuing to waste his time and the money involved, in further airship experiments. Life is short, and he is capable of services to humanity incomparably greater than can be expected to result from trying to fly....For students and investigators of the Langley type there are more useful employments."

Source: New York Times, December 10,1903, editorial page.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#10122 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10123 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46811618

Octave Doctors. PHP's. Gong.

S'gotta be!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10124 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Nick wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:24 pm http://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/the-talk-3
Fabulous
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Nick
Site Admin

#10125 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Dave the bass wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:26 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46811618

Octave Doctors. PHP's. Gong.

S'gotta be!
That or a cosmic woodpecker.