Opticians.

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Opticians.

Post by pre65 »

I need an eye test.

I'm not happy with my local optician, so perhaps I need to use one of the newer ones that have sprung up in bigger towns.

Are any of these better (or worse) than the other ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Michael L
Old Hand

#2 Re: Opticians.

Post by Michael L »

'Which' reported quote - Independent optician stores and Costco are the best places to go for an eye test and to buy glasses, according to our 2018 customer survey.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#3 Re: Opticians.

Post by The Stratmangler »

It's a tough one to call, Phil.
It took 3 attempts for my local Specsavers to deliver on a pair of specs that were fit for purpose.
The only reason I needed a new pair was because the anti-glare coating was breaking down, and as a consequence my visual acuity was diminishing over time.

The third time around I had one of their senior opticians, and they tested me with a good old fashioned lens set, as well talking with me about what I required.
Never underestimate the importance of talking to your patient, especially when it come down to vision, and what the patient's expectations are.
In my case I need to be able to focus from around 1m to 100m, because I spend a lot of time sat behind the wheel of a car, and this is what the preceding 2 pairs of specs didn't allow me to do.

Next time around I'm going to ask for a senior optician right from the off, because the whole thing took over a month to get sorted, and I don't want to be going through the whole palaver again.

What's up with your optician?
Chris :happy3:
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: Opticians.

Post by Mike H »

The Stratmangler wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:34 am and they tested me with a good old fashioned lens set,
Didn't know there was any other sort! :shock:

Last time I still went back to Templemans in Essex, they're been "doing" me since I first needed glasses at 16.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ant
Shed dweller

#5 Re: Opticians.

Post by Ant »

Same here Mike, same opticians for the last 30 years. It is now a Parkhurst franchised one but the same staff and the same optician if you can get in to see him (there are now 2) he does things the proper way, the other bloke uses newer methods.
Tried specsavers and they are OK but not as in depth as 'my' optician
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: Opticians.

Post by Mike H »

I think specsavers are OK if it's fairly simple. Like if you need reading glasses or bifocals because are getting long-sighted, but anything too complicated (as my prescription is) they're probably not the best option.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Nick
Site Admin

#7 Re: Opticians.

Post by Nick »

he does things the proper way, the other bloke uses newer methods.
Hmm, not sure I would say that's true, I have used Specsavers for years and most times I visit they seem to have a new bit of kit. They still use the lens set for final choice, but the equipment they use first does a lot of the work, and I suspect does more eye health checks than the old "read that chart" sort of stuff. Its also important to give them as much info as possible. Last time I went I told them about flashing lights in one eye, that opened up a whole new set of tests they wouldn't use if you just say "I need a new set of reading glasses". In my area Specsavers now provides part of the service that the hospital used to provide. "Enhanced Optical Services for Minor Eye Conditions on behalf if the NHS"
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#8 Re: Opticians.

Post by The Stratmangler »

I'd echo what Nick has posted.
Every sight test at Specsavers incorporates retinal photography and intraocular pressure testing. Ocular fields testing is also performed.
They're pretty comprehensive.

My issues were down to people not listening to what was being said by me, which is that I could see well enough through the lens corrections I had, and I only needed new specs because of the coating breakdown issue.
I eventually ended up with almost the same correction (one of my eyes had a quarter diopter adjustment higher), and a pair of specs that do what I need.
I think they ended up losing financially on finally getting me what I wanted.
That said, I am a fussy bugger.
I'm all too aware of my visual accommodation not being anything like as good as it was and have coping strategies for dealing with stuff up close - first off the specs end up being pulled to the end of my nose, and if that's not good enough the thing I need to see is brought up real close and I look over the top of my specs, not through them. I have exceptional visual acuity at 3 inches distance.
Chris :happy3:
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9 Re: Opticians.

Post by IslandPink »

Ditto - I have X-ray short sight vision which I use to my advantage looking closely at optics at work !
ps. My sister worked as an opthalmic optician at Specsavers, some of the time, until very recently - when they tried to blame her for a customer-complaint that was to do with front-desk staff. Now she does all her work with local independents.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10 Re: Opticians.

Post by jack »

Depends partly on the standards employed by the business, and quite a lot on the thoroughness of the opthalmologist.

I have a long history of problematic eyes -prophylactic surgery on my right retina and multiple operations on my left eye for a retinal detachment. Mostly down to a life of contact sports - rugby and judo.

As a consequence, I've been in Moorfields multiple times and was super choosy about opticians.

You have to be insistent - you are the customer - if you're not 100% happy, say so and keep on at it until you are 100%. Eyes are so important, you should never compromise, not even a tiny bit.

Because all the surgery had damaged both my lenses, I had them replaced (cataract operations) in Moorfields Dubai last year, so I no longer normally wear glasses.

Fwiw, Moorfields use mostly automatic equipment to check your eyes' prescription, but use visual (human) checking of the retina and eye health, also checking for glaucoma etc. Photos of the retina are also taken and continually referenced.

Because of data protection stuff, the Dubai Moorfields couldn't access my London Moorfields records, so they started a new chain for me, doing every test under the sun.

Eye health is essential.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Irene Idler
User

#11 Re: Opticians.

Post by Irene Idler »

I've had excellent luck with Murgatroyd Holmes, who have offices in Staveley, Edlington, and Conisbrough. They provided an accurate prescription for me after Boots Opticians had screwed mine up twice, and their optician in Staveley is really first-rate and can work absolute magic. (I have a very narrow nasal bridge and my ears are quite far forward, so there are almost no frames that actually come in my size, but she can actually cut down and reshape temples so they fit properly!)
"Hey, you know the rules, baby. If you wanna PLAY funky, you gotta SMELL funky." -- Mike Troutman
Nick
Site Admin

#12 Re: Opticians.

Post by Nick »

Did we ever find out what Phil was missing from his current Optician?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13 Re: Opticians.

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:00 pm Did we ever find out what Phil was missing from his current Optician?
I'm still cogitating on whether to go back to my local optician or not.

I suppose it's because I perceive them as "expensive" compared to some of the deals one sees on TV for the likes of Specsavers et al.

I saw an advert on TV the other day for online specs suppliers who work from ones optical prescription, they seemed very inexpensive.

BUT, obviously, I require the very best eye test available, hence the cogitation. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14 Re: Opticians.

Post by Mike H »

pre65 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:41 pm I suppose it's because I perceive them as "expensive" compared to some of the deals one sees on TV for the likes of Specsavers et al.
I've also heard stories like the glasses fall apart after a few months. Think it might be a case of "you get what you pay for".

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15 Re: Opticians.

Post by Mike H »

Somewhat different example: lately I've used a local private dentist couple of times, the premises are really nice, compared to where I used to go to in Laindon (Essex) for yonks, a NHS place which for some time now is shockingly shabby compared to what it used to be like decades ago. Used to have plush chairs in a friendly looking waiting room, coffee tables with magazines to look at, the ubiquitous fish tank; now there's just rows of bolted down seats and grey walls to stare at. Makes you feel like you're waiting for an execution. :(