Is it still alive?

What people are working on at the moment
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#1 Is it still alive?

Post by izzy wizzy »

I'm not sure whether this guy is still alive. If he might be, how could I tell? He's a BG non polar 470u 16V so unobtanium. I want to try him as a cathode bypass in my phono but don't want to let blue smoke out of him or anything else for that matter.

blackgate.jpg

Cheers,
Stephen
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#2 Re: Is it still alive?

Post by jack »

I wouldn't use it
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Phil Y
User

#3 Re: Is it still alive?

Post by Phil Y »

You could measure the value and the leakage current but that is a big dent. I wouldn't trust it, even if it measured OK.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#4 Re: Is it still alive?

Post by jack »

You can make a non-polarised cap of that value with two 16v 1000uF polarised electrolytics connected in series, +ve to +ve... (or -ve to -ve)

Easy.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
RhythMick
Old Hand

#5 Re: Is it still alive?

Post by RhythMick »

BG = Black Gate?

I have a box full of the critters somewhere, you're welcome to whatever is useful.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#6 Re: Is it still alive?

Post by izzy wizzy »

jack wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:17 pm You can make a non-polarised cap of that value with two 16v 1000uF polarised electrolytics connected in series, +ve to +ve... (or -ve to -ve)

Easy.
Thanks Ed. It wasn't so much making another. I have 4, 1 squashed. I wanted to parallel then to make 2 x 1000u and try it as a cathode bypass on the first stage of my phono to try something out.
RhythMick wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:20 pm BG = Black Gate?

I have a box full of the critters somewhere, you're welcome to whatever is useful.
Yes it's a Black Gate. I wanted to use that type as I know they're good. If I pursue the above, then maybe I'll have to consider something else. Thanks for the offer. What 1000u or 470u types have you got lying around?

Cheers,
Stephen
Phil Y
User

#7 Re: Is it still alive?

Post by Phil Y »

Hi Stephen,

I have Elna Silmic II in that position, sound nice to me but not tried BG so can't compare.

Phil.
RhythMick
Old Hand

#8 Re: Is it still alive?

Post by RhythMick »

izzy wizzy wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:02 pm
jack wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:17 pm You can make a non-polarised cap of that value with two 16v 1000uF polarised electrolytics connected in series, +ve to +ve... (or -ve to -ve)

Easy.
Thanks Ed. It wasn't so much making another. I have 4, 1 squashed. I wanted to parallel then to make 2 x 1000u and try it as a cathode bypass on the first stage of my phono to try something out.
RhythMick wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:20 pm BG = Black Gate?

Yes it's a Black Gate. I wanted to use that type as I know they're good. If I pursue the above, then maybe I'll have to consider something else. Thanks for the offer. What 1000u or 470u types have you got lying around?

Cheers,
Stephen
I'll sort out what I have and send pics and values. (When I have my other problem fixed, lol). I also have some spare Elna Silmics.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9 Re: Is it still alive?

Post by Mike H »

Just IMO - I messed with BG a while back - didn't do much for me and got thoroughly fed up with the "burn in time" until when they're supposed to start sounding good. Have and still use Panasonic FC series radials (recommended by Nick G), seem to do the biz for me. Image

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#10 Re: Is it still alive?

Post by izzy wizzy »

All good suggestions for substitutes welcome as well. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not wedded to anything in particular as I'm not really a component comparison person. As long as a bunch of people like them, I don't have to sell the children (tho tempting) that usually does it for me.

Cheers,
Stephen
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11 Re: Is it still alive?

Post by IslandPink »

At the time I was working in any detail on the phono amp, I found the red 'NH' black gates to be better than a lot of other stuff I tried. Definitely better than Elna Cerafines, for instance.
The more cost-effective one I would like to compare in detail now is Nichinon ES 'Muse' caps ( non -polar ) used as a pair ( nose to tail , paralleled ) which seemed to do a very good job as the input caps on a chip amp.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"