Quad ELS 57s for Sale

Caveat emptor, Caveat venditor
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#16 Re: Quad ELS 57s for Sale

Post by pre65 »

Nice Dave, do yourself a favour and knock up a set of legs for them.

14" is a nice height. (well it is for me)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
gninnam
Old Hand

#17 Re: Quad ELS 57s for Sale

Post by gninnam »

Always wanted a pair after hearing some many years back - problem is my listening is far too small so I'm afraid I'm out :(

Enjoy them Nick.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#18 Re: Quad ELS 57s for Sale

Post by Dave the bass »

pre65 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:21 pm Nice Dave, do yourself a favour and knock up a set of legs for them.

14" is a nice height. (well it is for me)
Ta, yeah they came with pair of Sheldon Stokes stands which lift them up about 18", they're painted bright green so they went up in the loft until I get some sunglasses and repaint them.
gninnam wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:27 pm ...- problem is my listening is far too small so I'm afraid I'm out :(
Yup, so are mine. They're in the 'Project Room' at the moment, you have to step over them to get in! I don't care. they sound awethumne. The room downstairs is probably too small aswell but I really-really-really wanted them. Dunno what I'm going to do with them yet. Fellow Kent-Massiff member our-Thomas has kindly agreed to look after them already :) So kind!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ant
Shed dweller

#19 Re: Quad ELS 57s for Sale

Post by Ant »

Arrrgh dave!
What a way to treat your g99!
Wish i could have a room in this house that i could have all that stuff in though! :D
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#20 Re: Quad ELS 57s for Sale

Post by pre65 »

Dave the bass wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:35 pm
gninnam wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:27 pm ...- problem is my listening is far too small so I'm afraid I'm out :(
Yup, so are mine. They're in the 'Project Room' at the moment, you have to step over them to get in! I don't care. they sound awethumne. The room downstairs is probably too small aswell but I really-really-really wanted them. Dunno what I'm going to do with them yet. Fellow Kent-Massiff member our-Thomas has kindly agreed to look after them already :) So kind!
What a good friend that Thomas is. :)

Edmund Burke

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#21 Re: Quad ELS 57s for Sale

Post by Dave the bass »

Ant wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:35 pm Arrrgh dave!
What a way to treat your g99!
Wish i could have a room in this house that i could have all that stuff in though! :D
I know, sorry Ant! I need to resurrect the G99 for the project room system(s), its time will come, fear not. I've got a DIY arm project for it about a 3rd of the way built too which stalled about 8 years and I only remembered it when I left the Laboratories up in London and had to clear out my corner (more of a half actually) of the old Workplace, I had to find a home of tons of 'stuff' that would've been skipped in the big-move/me leaving/career suicide/semi-retirement and thats led to why the project room has been stuffed to the gills with 'things-that-will-come-in-handy-one-day' . It's amazing how much you 'save' over 20 and a half years.

When the kids left home we decided it was a good time to 're-designate' room space. JTS got her room, I got mine, less folk in the house but its still only 'just' big enough...
pre65 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:40 pm
What a good friend that Thomas is. :)
Isn't he just, he's a sweety :lol:
thomas
Old Hand

#22 Re: Quad ELS 57s for Sale

Post by thomas »

:oops: :oops:

Yep, quite happy to take care of them for you DTB!

I'm actually moving to the dark side and building a little EL84 pp amp which might drive them quite nicely.....
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#23 Re: Quad ELS 57s for Sale

Post by Dave the bass »

Ha! Short term only 'caring for', I'm enjoying them too much to let 'em go for too long.

At the mo I've got them sitting on their Sheldon Stokes type stands, IMO they're about 4" too tall for my listening position in the project room. Haven't tried them downstairs yet as there's already 4 pairs of speakers in the listening area I'd need to re-home to fit the ESL57's in 'reasonably' well.

Really interested to see how they sound in our-Thomas-towers. I really really really enjoy listening to them in the the daft position in the project room though, ie- on the floor with a Saburo about 18" behind each one. Daft but the sound is so more-ish, I've spent hours up there listening to stuff.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#24 Re: Quad ELS 57s for Sale

Post by Dave the bass »

One thing I've noticed about ESL57's is how easily they visually blend into the surrounding rooms, I mean... unless I'd mentioned it you probably wouldn't even have spotted them .... :)

I'm running them the in the time-honored-'traditional' way' ie perched on concrete blocks and being fed from Raspberry Pi being supplied by a 15V SMPS.

In all seriousness, they sound very very nice out here. Looking forward to hearing them being run on a valve amp with a nice source too.
gninnam
Old Hand

#25 Re: Quad ELS 57s for Sale

Post by gninnam »

Jealous - they look nice even plonked on the concrete blocks :mrgreen:
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#26 Re: Quad ELS 57s for Sale

Post by pre65 »

Mine are all boxed up ready for the trek to West Yorkshire tomorrow (Christmas Day).

The room looks a bit bigger now. :lol:

Edmund Burke

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#27 Re: Quad ELS 57s for Sale

Post by Dave the bass »

gninnam wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:52 pm Jealous - they look nice even plonked on the concrete blocks :mrgreen:
Ta, they work well at that height with that listening position. I've just done a 4 1/2 hour session out there listening to loadsa stuff. Very impressed with them.
pre65 wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:56 pm Mine are all boxed up ready for the trek to West Yorkshire tomorrow (Christmas Day).

The room looks a bit bigger now. :lol:
Ah, they go on to another life! The mate who I bought these from reckons no-one actually owns ESL57's.... we just happen to be the current custodians of them.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#28 Re: Quad ELS 57s for Sale

Post by jack »

"Modern Electronics Made Simple"?
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt