jvc ql-y5f restoration

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#16 Re: jvc ql-y5f restoration

Post by Mike H »

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#17 Re: jvc ql-y5f restoration

Post by IslandPink »

As the Americans would say " I sure admire your problem "
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ant
Shed dweller

#18 Re: jvc ql-y5f restoration

Post by Ant »

Ive put the at150 on the deck in place of the f7. Was looking for cone flap to see if there was a mismatch between the arm and cart as I thought the arm was abit heavy for the cart. The q damping and other electrickery the arm has can be turned off if set to 0, so I tried it both ways. set up as the manual says and there was no cone flap, it just tracks.
Setting it to 0 and setting the arm up as you would normally so no electronics are active, and there was cone flap.
So the q damping appears to be voodoo, and force the arm to work with whatever compliance cart you want to put In it.
With the at150 in it, it sounds better with the q damping turned on
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Ant
Shed dweller

#19 Re: jvc ql-y5f restoration

Post by Ant »

I got round to the finishing touch on the JVC, a little badge I found on a flea market. It was a pin badge, and very apt so I had to have it. Simply cut the pin off and made it into a badge for the deck

ImageJbe series 3 restoration complete by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

she's now done too

ImageJbe series 3 restoration complete by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

DSJR
User

#20 Re: jvc ql-y5f restoration

Post by DSJR »

What an incredible transformation. What you've done has brought the deck bang up to date and I hope it sounds as good as it looks. I just can't do these kinds of case restoration things at all...
Ant
Shed dweller

#21 Re: jvc ql-y5f restoration

Post by Ant »

Got a goldring eroica to go in the deck, it deserves something better than the shure m97xe thats on it

DSJR
User

#22 Re: jvc ql-y5f restoration

Post by DSJR »

As you know, I'm a 'duh-brain' so forgive the question... You were using an AT-F7 before the 150, yet you're replacing with an Eroica?

P.S. I know it's not the dogs danglies for some, but had the 97XE increased in price along with 'everything else,' it would cost over £200 now I reckon... the AT120E ten years ago was WELL under a ton. A minor model-number change a few years ago and it was £120 and the current AT530 model (lower compliance is all I believe) is typically £180...
Ant
Shed dweller

#23 Re: jvc ql-y5f restoration

Post by Ant »

I broke the at f7 again...... Not long after dom looked at it for me I dropped the headshell I was fitting it into. This time it was terminal...

Ant
Shed dweller

#24 Re: jvc ql-y5f restoration

Post by Ant »

Put the eroica L on it, what a lovely cart! A Very natural sounding thing
The m97 was getting on my tits, a bit harsh
This is not.

DSJR
User

#25 Re: jvc ql-y5f restoration

Post by DSJR »

Nah, the 97XE is a lot of things, but harsh? Something wrong there I reckon as it's regarded as a bit too small, safe and possibly dull/warm toned if not loaded right.
Ant
Shed dweller

#26 Re: jvc ql-y5f restoration

Post by Ant »

Ive had an at440mlb on this deck for a couple of months now, took the 150 off it and put that on the lenco, put an eroica mc on it and was running it into an xlps phono stage.
Then decided to make a little switch box so i could get shut of the xlps and run both decks into the nice phono stage (the benedict audio jfet)

So the eroica got canned for now and the 440 went on it as the benedict is mm only. I do have a lentek head amp to try with it when I get it fixed as I'm told it is not working on one channel though.

Lovely cart. I did have it in the jvc headshell which is 13g, then the jelco one that was 11g.

Finally got round to sorting out a light headshell, which I have been going to get round to since I first put it on. I found a 6g one from analogue seduction. It looks very much like an adc mag one, but the deck and webbing at the back is much thinner.

Bingo. Matches the 440 very well, and is nice and stiff. Spot on for a high compliance cart. I even dug out some lightweight plastic mounting bolts out to keep the mass down as far as possible. The arm only just static balances, the counterweight is that far forward it has just enough clearance between it and the box on the side of the arm with the motors in. This has also cut the effective mass by some too as its about 3/4" closer to the pivot. I've cut about 8g off the total cart/headshell/bolt mass compared to the jvc headshell setup I had before.
The entire sound has opened right up.
I didnt think I could get it sounding as good in this arm as it did in the mayware, (the 440 was actually better than the 150 in the mayware as the body is a fair bit lighter) but it ain't far off now

Headshell was 7 quid. An analogue studio hs e1b. Cant see it being great for mc's its abit too light for that, but its spot on for this cart.

DSJR
User

#27 Re: jvc ql-y5f restoration

Post by DSJR »

No idea if it's good enough for you, but the Techie shell is rigid and low mass I think. Stick some posher wires on it and I think it's fine enough. used to work well with the AT440MLa at the time...
Ant
Shed dweller

#28 Re: jvc ql-y5f restoration

Post by Ant »

I did try the technics one dave, i found it was abit of a pain to get the cart bolt heads into the alignment slots the further back the cart needed to be because of the increase in thickness of the top of the deck, that's the only reason I went looking for something else tbh.

The bolts I have seem to have bigger heads than usual for some reason