Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#2191 Re: Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Ah I wondered about what 'hi-fi' sounded like. Could it sound better in those conditions...and yet some did? Hi good would some be in my home? Rhetorical ramblings only.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#2192 Re: Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Post by izzy wizzy »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:53 am Ah I wondered about what 'hi-fi' sounded like. Could it sound better in those conditions...and yet some did? Hi good would some be in my home? Rhetorical ramblings only.
What most of the stuff sounded like was boom, tizz and no midrange. Like very big and super expensive home theatre sound. A group of us all came to the exact same conclusion. Marketing BS was evident on a level that I found astounding. Made me very happy to be a DIYer.

cheers,

Stephen
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2193 Re: Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Post by IslandPink »

Very interesting, Stephen, thanks for the reports .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2194 Re: Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Post by IslandPink »

Stephen, were the Silbatone horns the 12A ? - any comment on sound strengths/weaknesses ? - the 12A is supposed to be better than the 15A and 16A, I have seen the FR curves, but the less aggressive bending should help. Were they driven by any of JC's amps ?
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#2195 Re: Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Post by izzy wizzy »

I'm not too good at remembering the details. I believe the larger horn was the London Horn with a field coil woof. It wasn't great. It's a thin steel horn and was quite resonant. It reminded me of movie theatre sound from when I was a child.

The next one down had some sectioned horn for the mids/top and a mid/woof that was a limited run of 40 units only from 1938. $200k ea if you can find one. That combo sounded the best. It just sounded effortlessly natural in it's range. Not spectacular or showy. It drew you in.

The double wideband stack while sounding good, was a bit small for the room. All driven by Silbatone stuff. Source a Schick arm, don't know the cart, on a 301 table. The other table was something I'd never heard of, really odd looking arm but apparently super good and really old according to Jonathan Weiss from OMA.

Now the scale of it all was a little underwhelming to previous years but in talking to Joe, that's because there was some kind of issue before the show with the intended equipment not being shipped so they had to scrabble around at the last minute to cobble together the speakers. They were within a day or so of not even exhibiting.

cheers,

Stephen
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#2196 Re: Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Post by izzy wizzy »

The small stacked speakers were WE755A and the next one up was WE757

cheers,

Stephen
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2197 Re: Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Post by IslandPink »

I spotted the 755A's but thought it was the 597A tweeter above ?
The big horns on top of the field coil woofer , yes that could be a London horn, it's like a 22A but wider.
Does seem like they were lacking the usual set-up with big things like the 15A or 12A .

"The next one down had some sectioned horn for the mids/top and a mid/woof that was a limited run of 40 units only from 1938. $200k ea if you can find one. That combo sounded the best. It just sounded effortlessly natural in it's range. Not spectacular or showy. It drew you in"
So that was the one that has a sign 'On Air' in Thomas Mayer's photos ? -
http://vinylsavor.blogspot.co.uk/2018/0 ... art-5.html
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#2198 Re: Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Post by izzy wizzy »

IslandPink wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:38 pm So that was the one that has a sign 'On Air' in Thomas Mayer's photos ? -
http://vinylsavor.blogspot.co.uk/2018/0 ... art-5.html
Yes
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2199 Re: Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Post by IslandPink »

Thanks .
I see Simon Shilton got his phono amp ( model 3 ) on BOTH Living Voice systems at Munich. Come on Nick , time for a phone call to Kevin & ask to do an A-B with yours down at the Definitive Audio place !
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2200 Re: Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Post by IslandPink »

Just given myself another job to do.
I was searching for a pen to write a birthday cart, and in the process knocked over the test perspex baffle flat on the front room carpet. It's blown the ribbon out on one of the Aurum G3 tweeters . Luckily you can buy replacement ribbons and Aurum have published instructions on how to take the front plate off and do the swap.
steve s
Shed dweller

#2201 Re: Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Post by steve s »

What a bummer mark
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2202 Re: Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Post by IslandPink »

Bit of sport here :
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-wa ... evice.html
Feel free to get involved :D
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2203 Re: Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Post by IslandPink »

Just a couple of pics here for SimonC .
Suggestion of reducing the Dallas II throat area ( start of horn after back chamber ) without altering length or the following cross-sections.
In each case the grey curve is the standard model ( 112.5 cm^2 throat ) and the bolder black curve is the throat reduced to 65cm^2 .
Dallas_Amplitude_comparison.JPG
Dallas_Phase_comparison.JPG
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2204 Re: Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Post by IslandPink »

I feel another bodge coming on with the folded horn. I'm just looking at what's needed to add another 50cm to the small end of the horn path , so I can hear what a longer horn and a very slow initial expansion will sound like ( eg. like the Dallas II ) . There going to be a lot of hacking-about of very solidly built parts with various tools, but I have enough wood currently around the house to do this.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2205 Re: Something stirs in the Undergrowth

Post by IslandPink »

Now then - key question - how to implement this change without spoiling the clean lines of the current unit ?
HornMk5_i.JPG