Speakers for my son.

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
JamesD
Old Hand

Post by JamesD »

Thank you Al! :D :D :D

I guess I'll start a new thread in the projects section for that...

Oh, BTW the source on all this is a media PC that I built for him using an external USB DAC. I guess I need to talk about that in the sources section... and Yes ,they do prefer vinyl but they have no room for CDs (and Ben has 4000 CDs) let alone records and a record deck...

ciao

James
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Hi James,

Good to have you back :D. Looking forward to hearing more - would that be a Chinese amp that's been gutted?
JamesD
Old Hand

Post by JamesD »

Hello Simon,

Glad to be back :D

It is a Chinese amp that has been rebuilt - gutted is such an ugly word. I prefer "breathed on to enable it to express its inner goodness :shock:

J
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

Ah, you're an artisan then :D. Working in construction we don't tend to breathe on anything, we're more interested in the biggest piece of kit we can attack something with :lol:.
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

Post by richardcooper2k »

what sort of sensitivity do these lovely speakers have ?

or in other words what sort of amp do you need to drive them ?
planet10
Old Hand

Post by planet10 »

JamesD wrote: A 30 litre box has the response only -8-9dB at 40Hz and the roll off starts at 130Hz but still onlu -3dB at 80Hz.
That is good to hear... i've pushed the next iteration of the FonkenFX out to 30 litres (from 20) and felt i might be pushing it... your data gives me more confidence that i'll get away with it.

Tweaked up a set of FE127eN have an edge over stock FX120, but then, would anyone expect me to use stock FX120?

dave
Attachments
FX120-inProgress.jpg
JamesD
Old Hand

Post by JamesD »

Hello Richard,

They are 90dB/1W/1m so any amp will drive them \ok but if you want to go really loud then 8-10Watts will do it :D

Dave,

Interesting and a big saving! But do they have the lovely voice reproduction that the FX120 has? I found the 120 really exceptional in this regard.

James
planet10
Old Hand

Post by planet10 »

JamesD wrote:Hello Richard,

They are 90dB/1W/1m so any amp will drive them \ok but if you want to go really loud then 8-10Watts will do it :D
Measurements so far with a sample size of 6 units puts the FX120 at 87 dB/1W/1m
Interesting and a big saving! But do they have the lovely voice reproduction that the FX120 has? I found the 120 really exceptional in this regard.
The FE127eN is about the same price as stock FX120 (don't know where it falls if we are talking FX120 purchased from Wilmslow)

The FE127eN digs deeper into the music (with better voice reproduction) -- the stock FX120 sounds fuzzy in comparison. Even thou significantly attenuated the stock FE127e's 7k peak is still there in the FE127eN, and the FX120 (stock or otherwise) is much smoother thru that region.

There is no comparison between FE127e & FE127eN -- the stock FE127e is rough & peaky (and fatiguing) with much less downward dynamic range.

dave
JamesD
Old Hand

Post by JamesD »

Hello Dave,

FX120 sensitivity.

That makes sense as I measured mine for the pair running together in stereo in their cabinets.

FE127eN

I completely missed that you were talking about the FE127eN and simply assumed the FE127e - Sorry! I'm a plonker, etc, etc. Although the picture should have told me! That is very interesting info on the 'eN' version. I will have to try them. The thought of a small speaker that much better than the FX120 at a similar price is awesome :D

Any thoughts on an eNabled FX120?

ciao

James
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#25 Re: Speakers for my son.

Post by IslandPink »

Well, up in North Wales we have recently bought up most the remaining world's stock of FX120's .
One of the applications for these was taking shape a year or two back and was going to be a rough copy of James's idea of the sealed boxes with relatively large volume and low Qtc.
Since my colleague Hywel got his 7297 chip-amp sorted ( this is new Hywel, not the old Hywel ) , he's been on fire with regard to getting the FX120's working. So much so, that he couldn't wait till we get the s/h cabinets from Colin at Christmas. I told him James D often prototyped things with cardboard to get an idea of the sound, so in about 3 hours he'd lashed something up.
After that the upgrading and tweaking began in earnest.
See below for the efforts to grab anything to hand to improve the stiffening and damping of the panels.
He even bought a Behringer interface/text box and microphone, and did before/after response curves !
Bracing.jpg
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#26 Re: Speakers for my son.

Post by Dave the bass »

Not shoddy!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#27 Re: Speakers for my son.

Post by IslandPink »