Ali Tait
Eternally single

#1 FM Switch Off Scrapped

Post by Ali Tait »

Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#2 Re: FM Switch Off Scrapped

Post by Thermionic Idler »

Indeed, although I've not had an FM tuner in my system for years. There is so much online choice now, and it largely doesn't pollute my listening space with crap I don't want to hear.
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: FM Switch Off Scrapped

Post by Mike H »

Yay. :D :thumbleft:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#4 Re: FM Switch Off Scrapped

Post by Ali Tait »

Thermionic Idler wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:29 pm Indeed, although I've not had an FM tuner in my system for years. There is so much online choice now, and it largely doesn't pollute my listening space with crap I don't want to hear.
Yep, though I was thinking more of in the car, most don’t have dab.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: FM Switch Off Scrapped

Post by IslandPink »

Good decision !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nanook of the North
User

#6 Re: FM Switch Off Scrapped

Post by Nanook of the North »

I agree, good decision indeed.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#7 Re: FM Switch Off Scrapped

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I went to the VW show room today. They have a great coffee machine and free biscuits. We tried out a 2 litre T Rok or something - who cares but it got up to 97mph in only a few seconds before Anna told me it wouldn't take off, so I took off the goggles and paced myself down to respectability. Anyway this totally bona fide car had a most wondrous DAB radio with a million stations, when I fumbled for Radio 4 Funny the salesperson with a fake Rolex thought I was taking the piss and tried to wrest the steering well from me as I chopped him in the throat flicked off his seatbelt and opened the door and shoved him out to bounce down the bypass, all in one smooth balletic movement that would make Daniel Craig envious. Still the point was that DAB in cars gets the thumbs up as it would flying Ryan Air. I got home and set up a lovely old fm receiver in the bedroom...am busy searching the airwaves for The Home Service.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Nick
Site Admin

#8 Re: FM Switch Off Scrapped

Post by Nick »

Not tried DAB in a car, though I had heard reports of reception problems which seemed strange as mobile reception was one of the points I remember being promoted about DAB. TBH, other than the Today Show in the morning I listen to streaming via phone most in the car now, the hand free laws prompted me to get a phone holder and a £5 bluetooth receiver (12 year old car). Android Auto and Spotify does a great job for me.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#9 Re: FM Switch Off Scrapped

Post by Ali Tait »

Yes much the same, I download from Tidal to my phone and use the aux input in the car.
Nanook of the North
User

#10 Re: FM Switch Off Scrapped

Post by Nanook of the North »

I must say.....At the time DAB SEEMED WONDERFUL.

It was bigged up no end....and the answer to all our probs.

Dead simple to tune.
Millions of stations.
Sound quality out of this world.
etc...etc...etc.

Reality.........shit.
fm rules.

Anyone remember the good old days of Ham Cb radio.

10/4 Rubber Ducky.
Nick
Site Admin

#11 Re: FM Switch Off Scrapped

Post by Nick »

Nanook of the North wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:03 pm I must say.....At the time DAB SEEMED WONDERFUL.

It was bigged up no end....and the answer to all our probs.

Dead simple to tune.
Millions of stations.
Sound quality out of this world.
etc...etc...etc.

Reality.........shit.
fm rules.

Anyone remember the good old days of Ham Cb radio.

10/4 Rubber Ducky.
IMHO, DAB could have been good, if they had used the better codec that most of Europe uses (though they wont as they committed to the low quality one early and seemed to refuse to change), and used higher data rates. But then they couldn’t have had millions of stations, just more than enough.

Bet they don;t turn the closed FM transmitters back on though.

I do remember CB, though I am not convinced I would describe it as the good old days :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Neal
Shed dweller

#12 Re: FM Switch Off Scrapped

Post by Neal »

IME DAB in cars works well, certainly in my Golf, I’ve not had any issues. I think just about all DAB radios are now DAB+ ones so backward compatible with the older DAB system. The UK may eventually go to DAB+ there are a few stations emerging that are DAB+ but not many....
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#13 Re: FM Switch Off Scrapped

Post by simon »

My new car has DAB and I've been listening to BBC 6 Music for a few weeks which has been an interesting experience. Radio Sheffield cuts out as my commute is a little way from their catchment - it doesn't cut out on FM though. And their FM broadcast is a bit of a pig for me to pick up in Donny.

Agree DAB works well in a car, but I do find myself a little relieved when I switch to FM - it's a more pleasant experience longer term.