The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1201 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Use silica gel ?

Never really thought about it.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
ed
retired

#1202 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by ed »

Nick wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:42 pm
Not knowing much about anything, but I would have thought sealing it would have been harder than it sounds, it would need to be done in a dry inert atmosphere I would think to prevent internal moisture being trapped.
I've a strong feeling that it's all a bit academic nowadays......the bikes that matter(of which the Holdsworth is an early example) are now made of carbon or ali......in which case I don't suppose many worry about sealing.....those that have current steel probably don't know what rust is, and certainly wouldn't lose sleep if they did.....or maybe they keep them in sheds/garages.

Ray, I have a good raleigh chunky which serves for near pedestrian use...to spend nearly £400 on your link wouldn't put me any nearer to Nirvana...besides which I don't have £400 disposable, so even that is academic.....

If the Holdsworth collapses on a cycle path my biggest worry might be 'how far from home are we'!...but then, thinking a bit more about it, the same would apply to that fixie. Oh waily waily.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#1203 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

pre65 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:58 pm
Ray P wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:19 pm
pre65 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:15 pm If the frame is properly welded how do you get internal corrosion ?

Answers on a postcard to - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -.
Because the frame isn't a sealed unit.
It would be if I made one. 8)
Perhaps it's just as well you're not a framebuilder then Phil. :)
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ray P

#1204 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Nick wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:42 pmNot knowing much about anything, but I would have thought sealing it would have been harder than it sounds, it would need to be done in a dry inert atmosphere I would think to prevent internal moisture being trapped.
It would be a pointless exercise Nick, if you seal the frame you can't have an adjustable seatpin, for example.
Ray P

#1205 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

ed wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:55 pm
Nick wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:42 pm
Not knowing much about anything, but I would have thought sealing it would have been harder than it sounds, it would need to be done in a dry inert atmosphere I would think to prevent internal moisture being trapped.
I've a strong feeling that it's all a bit academic nowadays......the bikes that matter(of which the Holdsworth is an early example) are now made of carbon or ali......in which case I don't suppose many worry about sealing.....those that have current steel probably don't know what rust is, and certainly wouldn't lose sleep if they did.....or maybe they keep them in sheds/garages.

Ray, I have a good raleigh chunky which serves for near pedestrian use...to spend nearly £400 on your link wouldn't put me any nearer to Nirvana...besides which I don't have £400 disposable, so even that is academic.....

If the Holdsworth collapses on a cycle path my biggest worry might be 'how far from home are we'!...but then, thinking a bit more about it, the same would apply to that fixie. Oh waily waily.
In that case Ed, I woud strip the Holdsworth right back to the frame, keep it nice and warm for a few days to dry out any moisture present and then treat the inside of the tubes with something like Waxoyl. Give the outside of the frame a good clean/wax and address any external rust too. Give all the components a really good clean and lubricate and then rebuild with new bearings so everything runs well. Maybe invest in a new chain, brake blocks and cables too. Another thought, down here in Taunton there's a charity called something like 'on yer bike' that recycles bikes and trains people in bike mechanics; professional bike mechanics donate time to it and will give a professional opinion on something like a frame for a small donation - perhaps you have something similar in your neck of the woods?
ed
retired

#1206 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by ed »

life's too short Ray..

I have a bike to ride, not to let other people profess more knowledge/skill over my bike and then suggest how I might spend more money, and make it better....I'm just not into it that far. Although I'm not against taking advice when I need it, so thanks for the input.

Maybe two years back(maybe it's three) I had the back wheel rebuilt, because it collapsed. At the same time I replaced the bottom bracket because the bearings were rumbling/creaking. If somethings broken, I'll fix it....like I said, I'm just not into it that far, I'm just not that seriously into bikes. Preventative maintenance?? mmm you can see I'm well into it by looking at the state of the bike at the moment.

My previous mention of TLC involved soap and water and finding the 3in1.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1207 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

^^^^^ When I 1st saw that pic Ed I thought...."Thats brill! A Croc-wearing garden gnome that points to potential areas of corrosion on bike frames!" Like! Where do I buy one? :)

My beluvved Dawes rusted from the inside out, on the chainstay just behind the BB, it was an obvious large hole! Erks. It was 30+ years old though and had a hard life.

If it were me (but it isn't) I'd give that lovely Holdsworth an oily rag clean up, pump up the tyres and go for a few rides 1st before condemning it outright, but I'm like that. Sure, It might go snap one day but I'd risk it unless theres any holes in it you can see already? Just IMO.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1208 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Dave the bass wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:06 pm ^^^^^ When I 1st saw that pic Ed I thought...."Thats brill! A Croc-wearing garden gnome that points to potential areas of corrosion on bike frames!" Like! Where do I buy one? :)
:lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
ed
retired

#1209 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by ed »

Dave the bass wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:06 pm
If it were me (but it isn't) I'd give that lovely Holdsworth an oily rag clean up, pump up the tyres and go for a few rides 1st before condemning it outright, but I'm like that. Sure, It might go snap one day but I'd risk it unless theres any holes in it you can see already? Just IMO.
you 'n me dude, we're on the same page

it needs some of those glass resisting tyres that Ray told me about some time back....the tyres on it must have done about 20 miles. are about 2 years old and have completely perished........sunshine came softly, through my window today.....aww c'mon summer. There is no rust that I can see, just good old green moss.
Ray P

#1210 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

ed wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:43 pm life's too short Ray..
Fair enough Ed, though it should be less than a day's effort and perhaps cost only a couple of tenners if you already have a good bottom bracket.

I never use 3in1 on a bike, especially on the chain where it makes a perfect base for a grinding paste.

The puncture resistant tyres I use are Schwalbe Marathon Plus - they're not the cheapest tyres by any means but they work. If you shop around online you can often get a good price for a pair.
thomas
Old Hand

#1211 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by thomas »

Ray P wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:15 pm
ed wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:43 pm life's too short Ray..

I never use 3in1 on a bike, especially on the chain where it makes a perfect base for a grinding paste.

Hmmm what do you use instead?!

I went on a jaunt today, I got a lift to Bow and cycled home to Sole Street..... took about 3 and a bit hrs on my speedy Dawes....tired and pleased now
Attachments
M25 bridge in the distance....
M25 bridge in the distance....
some Gormleys....
some Gormleys....
this should be taxed....
this should be taxed....
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1212 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Thats a fair ol' ride T,nice one. Cool route too :)
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ray P

#1213 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

thomas wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:23 pmHmmm what do you use instead?!
I use lubricants designed for the job, especially on the chain. I regularly clean and relubricate the chain, especially with the muck on the roads this time of year.

http://bikes.merlincycles.com/search#?w ... 0lubricant

Nice ride BTW.
ed
retired

#1214 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by ed »

has anybody got any recommendations for a budget gps computer?
I think my 9 function Halfords special might be past its best, although it still shows the correct time since I last used it about 3 years ago.
I have a cunning plan:

new set of tyres
remove drops and replace with straight handlebars
replace brake levers and bowdens
remove mudguards
old seat(selle italia) scrubbed up nicely so will retain
buy pvc bicycle cover

ride bike
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1215 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

ed wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:48 pm

remove mudguards
Only if you never go out when it's wet, or never go off road.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)