EAC beginner question

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Neal
Shed dweller

#46 Re: EAC beginner question

Post by Neal »

iTunes doesn’t support accurate rip AFAIK Nick so there is likely to be an offset in the two files if the other sample was taken with a program that does. The good news is the data is the same, iTunes does support C2 error correction. Trying the same CD on a different setup would change the offset unless the CD drive is the same...
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Nick
Site Admin

#47 Re: EAC beginner question

Post by Nick »

Chris has now provided four sets of files, A, B, C and D. Looking at the data:

A and C are identical, the flac is different, but the numerical values and the leading and traiing silence are also identical.

all 4 files and identical when you remove leading and trailing silence.

So Assuming they are the same disc ripped on different machines, the inference is that this disk is being ripped with 100% accuracy in all cases. Or at least the errors are consistent, which may amount to the same thing.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#48 Re: EAC beginner question

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Very interesting...

I know someone who has re-ripped all his music into WAV now storage is so cheap and plentiful. He doesn't use Flax at all. So be it.

OTOH he did sperryment with ripping with a much higher frequency though, I think 16 bit, so his WAV files are enormous. Try as I did with as close as A B A lissnin conditions as possible I a) went bonkers and B) thought that these ' hi-res' Wavs did sound best.

Yours in anecdote,
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Neal
Shed dweller

#49 Re: EAC beginner question

Post by Neal »

Thanks for the info Nick.

Andrew, you can't rip at a higher Frequency, all you are doing to extracting (reading) the data from the CD. You can upsample the file later as a post-rip process but not during the rip.
Neal
Shed dweller

#50 Re: EAC beginner question

Post by Neal »

....oh storage maybe cheaper than before but you don't have to waste it, why consume more than you have to. Data sprawl is one reason my current employer is doing so well, customer want everything kept for years and on-line with low latency access...it's nuts really but hey ho it pays my wages!
andrew Ivimey

#51 Re: EAC beginner question

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Yes I agree. I would emphasise that the situation I described is not my own! I'm a very happy Flaccer.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#52 Re: EAC beginner question

Post by The Stratmangler »

The same CD is used for all the rips.
Chris :happy3:
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#53 Re: EAC beginner question

Post by The Stratmangler »

Anyone interested in listening to the files?
Chris :happy3:
ed
retired

#54 Re: EAC beginner question

Post by ed »

mmm I was just musing about these errors(if they do indeed exist)...

would the panel think its possible to get an out of phase tinnitus gizmo to make everything go quiet?

whistles a happy tune whilst bumbling along....ho hom, tikkety boo, ho hum
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#55 Re: EAC beginner question

Post by pre65 »

I believe out of phase noise gizmos are used in fighter planes, but how on earth could one sample tinnitus noise to be of use to people like me ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#56 Re: EAC beginner question

Post by Nick »

ed wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:29 pm mmm I was just musing about these errors(if they do indeed exist)...
Given I have yet to find any errors who can say.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey

#57 Re: EAC beginner question

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Tinnitus is mostly Neuro physiological. Some tinnitus is conductive in origin. Literally mind boggling how you interrupt sensor neural tinnitus.

There are well known examples in the ENT world of patients who for various reasons have had their cochleas removed and they still have tinnitus.

Tinnitus maskers are quite common - they provide low level signals of sounds rich in white-ish noise e.g. rain, sea, wind samples. All to distract. It helps if the patient wants to forget the tinnitus.

I have bouts of intrusive tinnitus. A few days ago at the height of a heavy feverish painful bad bad cold I realised that for a few hours my tinnitus had completely disappeared. It was as if there was total silence- bizarre, gorgeous only blackness.