WAV vs FLAC

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#16 Re: WAV vs FLAC

Post by The Stratmangler »

ed wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:30 pm any chance of going back to the original post/question...this thread is becoming a runaway train....

Flac has now been with us in the mainstream for 15 years......if the WAV is better than FLAC argument had any mileage don't you think we'd have heard about it by now?

maybe we have and I've just missed it....doh!
Fair enough, Ed.
I must admit, I haven't noticed any differences when playing WAV or FLAC on my laptop, but then I've always made sure that I've installed appropriate ASIO or WASAPI drivers for the interfacing hardware.
I haven't heard any differences when playing WAVs or FLACs using my Squeezebox Touch players, although I do know that earlier server versions did not support WAV streaming, and used to transcode on the fly before sending data to the rendering device. The SB3 doesn't support WAV playback, which explains the transcode.

Which leads to me agree with Nick on this point ....
Nick wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:15 amIf he can still tell a difference, I would say the problem is in the server or renderer converting in real time.
Chris :happy3:
Hemmo
User

#17 Re: WAV vs FLAC

Post by Hemmo »

Not heard any difference on my system either, wIth FLAC being easier to tag and use on various playback software (currently Roon) I’ll stick with FLAC.
Neal
Shed dweller

#18 Re: WAV vs FLAC

Post by Neal »

Reading the thread over on HFS I must admit I'm intrigued. I've done the test as well and done the wav >> flac >> wav test with checksum and file compare....no difference.

It would be the first time I've read that the conversion to / from flac is changing the data....very worrying if it is doing so....
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.