"The Flatback Banned" OmniMet

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#76 Re: "The Flatback Banned" OmniMet

Post by Cressy Snr »

Yes they were too ugly and the missus wasn't having any of it.
New feet are stainless steel tubular kitchen cabinet legs minus the bottom levelling screws.
They provide the exact height the downward firing port needs, in order to do its stuff.
A fiver for four off ebay.

Badge adds the finishing touch. :lol:

Up yours Mr Duvet :mrgreen:
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#77 Re: "The Flatback Banned" OmniMet

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The first speaker named after the behaviour a bonkers forum admin. Someone should post about it with a pic at Hi-Fi Wigwam.

PS I thought the casters added class and "difference". Especially if nice traditional brass ones.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#78 Re: "The Flatback Banned" OmniMet

Post by Cressy Snr »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:39 pm ...Someone should post about it with a pic at Hi-Fi Wigwam.
I wouldn't; the silly b'stard will think it's a complement :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#79 Re: "The Flatback Banned" OmniMet

Post by Cressy Snr »

Anyway here's a pic with the badges setting off the cabinets. Larvely.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#80 Re: "The Flatback Banned" OmniMet

Post by Cressy Snr »

So today I installed a little 25 Watt NVA power amp - the A20, plus a diminutive P20 passive control unit.
Along with the Phono1 it makes a nice little system.
Why post this in my speaker thread you may ask. Well I have decided that since I want to develop my omni speakers further, I really do need a solid state amp to evaluate them with.
Now I did not expect this to happen, but the synergy between the diminutive NVA amplifier and my Flatback Banned speakers is simply joyful
Wonderful little amplifier - just wonderful. Reminds me very much of the sound Dave's "Son of Beast" OTL through my big Mets, when he brought it round a few months ago. I could have wept when he took it away. Now I have 99% of that sound.

Oh and the speakers are even better than I thought they were. They sing on the end of this combination.
I look forward to developing a few more of my omni speaker ideas with this little amp in tow; a new avenue to explore. :)

Cute huh? :D

Also the Lenco has a newly sprayed black platter, courtesy of our Ant - an early Father's Day pressie 8)
Anyone who happens to be passing, is welcome to come and have a listen.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#81 Re: "The Flatback Banned" OmniMet

Post by pre65 »

Cressy Snr wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:38 pm

Anyone who happens to be passing, is welcome to come and have a listen.
Bum. I was in your area today, would have loved a listen.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#82 Re: "The Flatback Banned" OmniMet

Post by Cressy Snr »

Aye, about 8 miles away if you were in Barnsley.

Was great to meet the Doc on Friday at our Ant's when he came up North for the G99 and brought me the A20/P20 combination.
He also brought a few interconnect and two speaker cable samples. I'm going to do a cable comparison with a twist, but this thread is not the place to put it. I'll start another thread when I'm ready. TBH, this weather is for sitting in the garden in the shade with a supply of cold beer, not grovelling about with recalcitrant cables and getting all hot and bothered. :D
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#83 Re: "The Flatback Banned" OmniMet

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It can join in with the "Nothing in particular" thread as we are exploring, this starting with the effects of Litz / High Cap cables.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#84 Re: "The Flatback Banned" OmniMet

Post by Cressy Snr »

Nice to meet Phil and Jean for a short while today.
We had a cup of tea and a listen to a bit of Eva Cassidy, Matt Monro, Dean Martin, Shirley Bassey, Nat King Cole, Vic Damone and Frank Sinatra.
All up to the minute sounds at my place you know. :wink:
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#85 Re: "The Flatback Banned" OmniMet

Post by pre65 »

Cressy Snr wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:09 pm Nice to meet Phil and Jean for a short while today.
We had a cup of tea and a listen to a bit of Eva Cassidy, Matt Monro, Dean Martin, Shirley Bassey, Nat King Cole, Vic Damone and Frank Sinatra.
All up to the minute sounds at my place you know. :wink:
Thanks Steve, a short, but enjoyable listen to your system, NVA amp an all. :)

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#86 Re: "The Flatback Banned" OmniMet

Post by pre65 »

pre65 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:19 pm
Thanks Steve, a short, but enjoyable listen to your system, NVA amp an all. :)
I had a PM today, and there was a suggestion that my above comment had perhaps "damned by faint praise" Steves speakers.

So I will expand a little. :)

The overall sound is pleasing, but it's not what I'm used to. The room layout gives uneven bass, but Steve knows why that is and has plans to solve that problem. So, on casual listening with music I like the effect is nice.

But, not having been to Steves house before I can't say how more conventional speakers, or the Metronomes might have sounded.

To be honest, I don't think the Omnimets would suit my (much larger) room and I have got used to the OB sound over the last few years.

So, not a criticism of the speakers but not a wholesale recommendation either, but that's just my personal take.
Last edited by pre65 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#87 Re: "The Flatback Banned" OmniMet

Post by pre65 »

Just to add that I don't agree with Gregs assessment of the Omnimets at Owston, I thought they gave a fair performance given their size, and they certainly were a cut above the NVA cube things which (considering the price) were (to me) a bit grim.

Edmund Burke

Greg
Social outcast

#88 Re: "The Flatback Banned" OmniMet

Post by Greg »

Assuming you stand by what you have said, you probably need your ears cleaned out.

I agree regarding the NVA Cubes. They sounded apauling even taking into account the room problems. I found it bizarre that the Doc modded speakers actually sounded much better than the Cubes, also bettered by Dave's Celestion Doc Mod version. Have to say a bit of eyebrow raising went on at the time by me and I suspect several others.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#89 Re: "The Flatback Banned" OmniMet

Post by pre65 »

I'm not getting het up about Gregs comments (re my ears), and I hope Steve can take my comments in the same manner.

I know I don't always hear things like some others, but I can only comment on how I do hear things.

Steve (and his wife) accepted me (and Jean) into their home and were most hospitable. If I have betrayed that hospitality by my comments I'd be mortified. :(

Edmund Burke

Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#90 Re: "The Flatback Banned" OmniMet

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Greg wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:53 pm Assuming you stand by what you have said, you probably need your ears cleaned out.

I agree regarding the NVA Cubes. They sounded apauling even taking into account the room problems. I found it bizarre that the Doc modded speakers actually sounded much better than the Cubes, also bettered by Dave's Celestion Doc Mod version. Have to say a bit of eyebrow raising went on at the time by me and I suspect several others.
A few facts

the doc mods speakers and the Cube's use the same drivers and no crossover principle .

Cubes and Steve's were Omni's .

Conclusion , the room didn't work with Omni's , your agenda driven bollocks is just that . Unless of course you are attributing the difference to acrylic :laughing1:

and whats with all this eyebrow raising amongst salt of the earth honest folk . Tis as I always suspected after reading 2 posts of yours on TAS , you sir post rubbish because it is tainted by an agenda.