Post by Ali Tait »

Thought these might be of interest-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/833A-SE-Outpu ... Swxj5XQgX2
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#2 Re: Output Transformers

Post by Paul Barker »

Look just the job.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
andrew Ivimey

#3 Re: Output Transformers

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Well okay but...can you trust them,the higher the voltage the fewer the milli amps and so vice versa. At such HT you can't mess around.And at lower voltage the current rises - just as dangerous,IMHO.

Those hammods of Philips, whatever Paul & nick used at Owston. ..where else can you find safe output txs?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Paul Barker

#4 Re: Output Transformers

Post by Paul Barker »

Mine are Tribute.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
andrew Ivimey

#5 Re: Output Transformers

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Mine are not! Something from hongkers with which I treat with a big ( wooden) stick. For the claimed power and HT they are suspiciously small. Sometime late summer I might have sufficient space to give them a further airing.
Perhaps.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#6 Re: Output Transformers

Post by jack »

Are those not repurposed mains transformers? I'm slightly puzzled by the 50/60HZ markings...

If so, are they good for HT and higher frequencies?
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Paul Barker

#7 Re: Output Transformers

Post by Paul Barker »

jack wrote:Are those not repurposed mains transformers? I'm slightly puzzled by the 50/60HZ markings...?
That is a risk, but it is not unusual for the designer to give instructions to the winder in terms of mains frequencies that they would understand..

I spec'd some transformers from a small electrical manufacturing company. I asked for it in our speak. It came back with marking that related to mains frequencies and voltages. The auotomaton at the winding machine knows no other language.

You might then say, but wait a minute? wouldn't the sections be limited to one primary one secondary? No, the position and amount of sections can be given, doesn't change the language of turns count.

So what about the primary turns? If they are spec'd for 50/60hz? Again the primary turns are spec'd and told to the winder. The secondary turns are calculated by the winder on the basis of voltage. The 50/60hz stamp is integral to the machinery that makes the band which holds the two cores together. First and foremost the company will exist to make mains transformers.

If I didn't have any suitable transformers I would take a punt on these and pay up to £150 the pair. Might be a right bargain at that.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: Output Transformers

Post by Mike H »

To be fair that's only on the strap that holds the cores together, which again could be used for mains transformer as well.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."