Zero emission road vehicles.

Subjects that don't have their own home
ed
retired

#196 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by ed »

Mike H wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:06 pm PS: railways are already running beyond maximum capacity. Trying buying a train ticket for a peak period, and see how much it costs. Basically they don't want you. Off-peak, OK we can squeeze you in. I remember a TV doc some time ago, need more track to meet the demand, but that will mean knockng down city centres (many with historical architecture) to make room, so that ain't gonna happen.
Again, not specifically about EV but a long time ago I daily commuted between Hitchin and London, and so did a zillion other people. One thing that kept recurring in my mind was ....is this one way traffic or do people travel both ways..

I kept thinking about a draconian society where it was forbidden to work in a town other than the one you lived in...I'm sure this has been mooted many times before, but I couldn't help thinking it was more two way traffic than was visible on the surface.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#197 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by vinylnvalves »

The modern way isn’t to introduce draconian rules.... £5 per litre will have the same effect.
Nick
Site Admin

#198 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

Tesla batteries were nickel based, and that surprised me.
AFAIK, they are trying to reduce the amount of cobolt. Why the surprise?

"Most lithium-ion batteries found in electric vehicles today—including Tesla's—use a cathode made from lithium nickel manganese cobalt oxide, otherwise known as NMC"
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#199 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Further to Ed's point it started me thinking of all the science fiction books I read when quite a bit younger (time well spent?). Dystopian or not, so many (not all) of the stories had (where relevant) taken for granted amazing public service transport networks. E.G. even Robert Heinlein, old school republican, capitalist, appallingly sexist, gun supporting etc etc etc, who told a great tale or two. Thinks too of Philip K Dick, a different kind of person altogether. Asimov, Sladek, Stanislaw Lem...

just saying.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Michael L
Old Hand

#200 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Michael L »

In normal times my wife and I are annual visitors to her home town Gdansk. We have seen the modernisation and growth of the tram network there. Trams must be the best way for most people to move around a city. I don't recall ever waiting more than 15 minutes for one to arive and they do not compete for road space with other vehicles. Then there is the SKM train link between the 'tri-cities' Gdansk, Sopot and Gdynia. Cheap frequent comfortable public transport. Look how well it works in Germany too with hubs connecting U-bahn, S-bahn, intercity.
I cannot understand why the UK abandoned trams and trolly buses last century.
Neal
Shed dweller

#201 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Neal »

Another interesting vid by Harry on electric cars.....

Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#202 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

I've watched quite a few of his videos and enjoyed them.

This one was interesting. By 2030 I shall be 80, so I might not be safe in any vehicle, whatever the power source. :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#203 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

The new Citroen Ami, it's not a car - it's a quadracycle.

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/citroen/ami

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
ed
retired

#204 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by ed »

back to this:

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... &start=174

wish I'd thought about it sooner...did you spot the word freedom in the report!!!
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
steve s
Shed dweller

#205 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by steve s »

pre65 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:45 am The new Citroen Ami, it's not a car - it's a quadracycle.

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/citroen/ami

It actually looks ok at that price, but a little more speed & range I would consider one myself as a run around, but in addition to a petrol/diesel car.

yesterday I went to south london and back to move my sister and some of her things. My estate was crammed full. And with a 11/2 hour turn around, I'm not sure electric could do it.
Does heating and head lights further reduce the range of electric cars ?
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Nick
Site Admin

#206 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

Yes, though they have efficient heating and LED lighting.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
steve s
Shed dweller

#207 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by steve s »

Nick wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:07 pm
Yes, though they have efficient heating and LED lighting.
Just did a quick search on the subject, one interesting forum comment, ( an ev owner ) quoted that in sub zero outside temperatures, heating and lighting can use 25% of the power available,.. but wait for it... on top of that.. up to 25 % reduction in range due to the batterys being ice cold..
I think battery type has a effect on cold performance,

I know my motor home battery charge drops off substantialy with the cold.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Nick
Site Admin

#208 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

AFAIK, the better ones will preheat the battery.
steve s
Shed dweller

#209 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by steve s »

Nick wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:54 pm AFAIK, the better ones will preheat the battery.
I would guess that's another balancing act..the heating energy used by the battery to keep itself warm if its parked without bring hooked up to the charger for a day or two.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#210 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Ray P »

Michael L wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:21 am In normal times my wife and I are annual visitors to her home town Gdansk. We have seen the modernisation and growth of the tram network there. Trams must be the best way for most people to move around a city. I don't recall ever waiting more than 15 minutes for one to arive and they do not compete for road space with other vehicles. Then there is the SKM train link between the 'tri-cities' Gdansk, Sopot and Gdynia. Cheap frequent comfortable public transport. Look how well it works in Germany too with hubs connecting U-bahn, S-bahn, intercity.
I cannot understand why the UK abandoned trams and trolly buses last century.
When we holidayed in Italy in 2019 we used the new tram service in Florence, park next to the Autostrada at Villa Constanza, which has a dedicated Autostrada junction). Clean and quick trams across the city every few minutes and very cheap. The system has been retrofitted onto the existing roads. Excellent! It goes to show what you can do with some imagination.

http://en.comune.fi.it/administration/t ... ystem.html
Sorry, I couldn't resist!