Zero emission road vehicles.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Nick
Site Admin

#76 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

Except you may end up with a older battery. Tesla did investigate the idea a few years ago.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#77 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Ali Tait »

Guess it would come down to how often they were checked and replaced. I suppose you could also charge by the mile rather than per battery pack change.
JohnG
Old Hand

#78 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by JohnG »

As a New Car Owner in Warranty the System of a Battery Swapping Dock could show a Code in the Battery Section on the LCD Screen, that indicates the Generation of Battery installed.
A Vehicle still under warranty would be offered a particular Generation of Battery for the duration of the Warranty.
If the Vehicle is kept outside of Warranty, or becomes a used market purchased vehicle, the Vehicle Owner will if available be able to buy into a Tiered Level of a Battery Supply where different generations of battery offered might change the lease pricing.

Where a lower and Cheaper Tier might offer a Older Generation Battery with a known reduced level of performance.
For a person carrying out short commute journeys in a used vehicle they purchased,
a Older Generation Battery Option with a reduced cost, might be the type of Service that they opt for.

These are just adlib thoughts on a Concept for the use of Batteries that I was informed of was a possible way forward for the larger use of the Vehicles.

I had also seen recently that when BMW were working out the ideal range for the vehicle to satisfy the customers they were looking at to Purchase the Electric Mini, it was an 'average' of 150 Miles Driven per week in a Monday to Friday commute, hence why I believe the Mini has a range of a 180 Miles to a Charge.
Nick
Site Admin

#79 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

I had also seen recently that when BMW were working out the ideal range for the vehicle to satisfy the customers they were looking at to Purchase the Electric Mini, it was an 'average' of 150 Miles Driven per week in a Monday to Friday commute, hence why I believe the Mini has a range of a 180 Miles to a Charge.
Yep, but people still worry about the once a year journey. Same as they buy a SUV when 99% of the time a hatchback would be all they need.
These are just adlib thoughts on a Concept for the use of Batteries that I was informed of was a possible way forward for the larger use of the Vehicles.
But just think how many batteries a station would need to keep on hand. who can say what will finally happens. But I think for most current EV owners the best thing is overnight charging and never needing to go anywhere to charge up. Same as when the corner shop used to offer a charging service for lead acid batteries for valve radios. That disappeared overnight with the introduction of household electricity (as did battery heated valves in general use).
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#80 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

When my Mum was a young girl one of her jobs was taking the accumulator to the local shop for charging.

I thought most EVs had quite large battery packs, and not necessarily easy to access ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Neal
Shed dweller

#81 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Neal »

Have you seen the size of a Tesla battery!
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#82 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

Neal wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:59 pm Have you seen the size of a Tesla battery!
No, but it's probably as big as the floorpan.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Neal
Shed dweller

#83 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Neal »

Yup
Nick
Site Admin

#84 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#85 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by jack »

Nick wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:36 pm From 2013

https://www.tesla.com/videos/battery-swap-event
Impressive, but... That can only be done at a Tesla Station that has the right battery pack for your model...

Seven years after that video, how many such stations are there in the UK... And outside of conurbations?

There are Tesla Destination Chargers near me -
for each hour of charge, a Tesla S gets 34 miles of range. The nearest Tesla Supercharger is over 20 miles away. Remember also that the 34 miles per hour of charge depends on you being the sole user of the charger. If someone else is using it too, your charge time increases proportionally.

I really really like the whole idea of electric vehicles, but it's still a problem outside of urban areas. Overnight domestic charging from a purpose installed high current supply and shorter trips is good.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
JohnG
Old Hand

#86 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by JohnG »

A good spot on the Tesla Video, I assume now, that is where the Tesla Owner I know got their information from when they were giving me the idea.

When we were discussing the idea, it seemed to be the best idea not as a Charging Situation for a Daily Commute, those can be done at home.

It was more to support a Journey Planning foe the Long Haul, as the Tesla Owner does runs in the Vehicle to Germany.

We also touched on the idea that the opportunity to always have access to a Battery that was not showing a loss of performance, would help with depreciation, as a owned battery that was 20 - 50% down on its from New Performance, would be a depreciation factor along with age and mileage.
Greg
Social outcast

#87 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Greg »

JohnG wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:14 am We also touched on the idea that the opportunity to always have access to a Battery that was not showing a loss of performance, would help with depreciation, as a owned battery that was 20 - 50% down on its from New Performance, would be a depreciation factor along with age and mileage.
There are examples of Tesla batteries in car’s that have completed over 200K miles that are still operating at 90% efficiency. Elon Musk has predicted new battery technology will soon see the million mile battery that will be employed in a secondary use after it has outlived the vehicle.
Neal
Shed dweller

#88 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Neal »

Tesla cars are great I really like them but the battery swap was just a stunt, as Jack says if it is so good why aren’t there any about. It may work on a clean factory fresh car but give it 50k miles worth of road dirt and let’s see if the nut fastners can still find the holes and undo seized bolts.
Neal
Shed dweller

#89 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Neal »

Closer to reality?
Nick
Site Admin

#90 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

Tesla cars are great I really like them but the battery swap was just a stunt
I understand they did have a test station that offered supercharging or battery swap.

https://www.businessinsider.com/teslas- ... ?r=US&IR=T