Zero emission road vehicles.

Subjects that don't have their own home
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#151 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

What's wrong ( in principle) with going to work on a bus? Busses should be better, run more, more regular and cheap and we shouldn't be snotty about public service transport. ( Electric) cars should be unnecessary for most of us ( never ' all' ) . We should just get used to it.

Ditto with trains!

Good news ( if true) about Cornish Lithium. Have we really looked for Lithium round the world or just trembled at there being lithium only in Aussieville?

More good news needed. Can Trump just be laughed into impotence?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#152 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by jack »

Everyone wants good bus services.

The reality is, if you live in the countryside, busses are rarely seen and even less often reliable.

Even getting to/from a bus stop can be an issue, especially for the elderly/infirm and busses don't (AFAIK) carry bikes.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
ed
retired

#153 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by ed »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:37 am What's wrong ( in principle) with going to work on a bus? Busses should be better, run more, more regular and cheap and we shouldn't be snotty about public service transport. ( Electric) cars should be unnecessary for most of us ( never ' all' ) . We should just get used to it.
If I'm reading that correctly it looks like you completely missed the point. There is absolutely nothing wrong with going to work on a bus. Nor using the bus(or other public transport) for those journeys that can be made on public transport. But what about the aspirations of the public when they're not going to work. The freedom that the car offers...the volkswagon....to visit auntie in the wilds of Devon, or even Bedfordshire.

Remember all those advertisements putting the Austin Seven or the Ford Popular in the reach of the working man.

Or....maybe the working man shouldn't have had such aspirations in the first place....but then you've got to consider the generations of families in Dagenham and Halewood that emerged because of those aspirations......the prospect of extinction...
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#154 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

Not sure your argument is against electric cars Ed.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#155 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Bloody phone X3. I'll try again, again, again.

I posted a while back that if we were all to use modern 500cc motor cars then this would be more efficient cheaper and cleaner than electric for a good while to come yet.

I hate Beetles; I've had four! Yuk but accept the arguments for Freedom....

But that is history and we also need a serious commitment to a decent cheap and efficient public sector transport system and a re-boot in our minds about how to get about. Grand schemes like HS2 are elitist bollocks wasting time the environment and money.

Electric is good, I believe, but so is ... well, science and our future.

Rant rant rant - hmmm. Beautiful day today....thinks..

Bike!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Nick
Site Admin

#156 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#157 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by ed »

shooting from the hip now.......

Quite correct, my argument is not about electric cars at all.....
I for one would welcome more discussion about the infrastructure.....the same problem from a different perspective joins electric cars and public transport..the infrastructure.....and I'm not even thinking about HS2....that brings to mind the equality of pigs...
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#158 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

jack wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:46 am Everyone wants good bus services.

The reality is, if you live in the countryside, busses are rarely seen and even less often reliable.

Even getting to/from a bus stop can be an issue, especially for the elderly/infirm and busses don't (AFAIK) carry bikes.
Public transport is all well and good if you have access to it.

I could not live a normal life (what is normal these days ?) if I had to rely on anything other than my personal transport. What public transport we do have is a mile away by country lanes (omnibus) or 1/2 - 1 hour by road (4 choices - railway) thanks to Ernest Marples and Dr Beeching).

I do think that what Beeching was asked to do was probably (in the main) necessary, but that the infrastructure should have been left in place to serve the future. Hindsight is wonderful. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#159 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Mike H »

ed wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:54 pm I reckon the biggest hurdle will be how to satisfy all those people without a driveway....
That's a very good point! Can't have cables trailing across the pavement!

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Nick
Site Admin

#160 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

The video I posted does talk about that.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#161 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

How about a brand new electric MGB with a warranty ?

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

#162 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

The absence of any crash protection would worry me, at 90k and up, I would go for a Taycan which is slightly cheaper for the starting price.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#163 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:51 pm The absence of any crash protection would worry me, at 90k and up, I would go for a Taycan which is slightly cheaper for the starting price.
Yes, but I think the electric MG is aimed at a different customer base.

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

#164 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

pre65 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:56 pm
Nick wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:51 pm The absence of any crash protection would worry me, at 90k and up, I would go for a Taycan which is slightly cheaper for the starting price.
Maybe, but I bet there is a big overlap in that base. But you did say "how about", and I did say "I would go for""
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#165 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:07 pm
pre65 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:56 pm
Maybe, but I bet there is a big overlap in that base. But you did say "how about", and I did say "I would go for""
I wasn't disagreeing with you. :)

Edmund Burke