Zero emission road vehicles.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Nick
Site Admin

#106 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

So the government know where you all are when they start taxing the electricity used on EVs. Maybe not for a year or so, but once the take up on EVs gathers pace they surely will.
And your point being? AFAIK, its an offence to not have a valid address on your license, so I am sure its not that hard to know who has EV's if they wanted to ignore GDPR.
Is the EV charging at a Tesla charging point really FREE
"All Teslas ordered before January 15, 2017, get to keep their free lifetime Supercharging guarantee, and that offer goes with the vehicle, even if you sell it on. Some owners who bought their cars before November 2018 were also given 400kWh in annual charge credits for free"

And it seems to be back for Model S sedans and Model X.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#107 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

New Tesla Model S model has 405-mile range.

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tesla/model- ... newsletter
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Greg
Social outcast

#108 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Greg »

Nick wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:47 pm
So the government know where you all are when they start taxing the electricity used on EVs. Maybe not for a year or so, but once the take up on EVs gathers pace they surely will.
And your point being? AFAIK, its an offence to not have a valid address on your license, so I am sure its not that hard to know who has EV's if they wanted to ignore GDPR.
At time of collection, your driving licence must be presented. It’s taken away so undoubtably it is copied (is this not the same for all new vehicle buys?). All new EV buyers, if they have any gumption have thought this through and anticipate taxation in some form coming in the future.
Nick wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:47 pm
Is the EV charging at a Tesla charging point really FREE
"All Teslas ordered before January 15, 2017, get to keep their free lifetime Supercharging guarantee, and that offer goes with the vehicle, even if you sell it on. Some owners who bought their cars before November 2018 were also given 400kWh in annual charge credits for free"

And it seems to be back for Model S sedans and Model X.
I have 1000 miles of free supercharger charging because I used my friends (a Tesla owner) unique personal code when I placed my order. He also gained a 1000 Mile charging benefit. Thereafter, I have to pay, but paying at a rate roughly a third payed at the pumps, I and all other EV owners have nothing to complain about....quite the opposite.

PS. Anyone contemplating a Tesla purchase, please let me know as we could both benefit from a 1000 mile Tesla Supercharger charging credit :D :D
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#109 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Ali Tait »

jack wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:36 pm
Ali Tait wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:38 pm They are all being shut down.
Spoilsport !
Blame the govmint. :D

All coal fired stations will be gone by 2025, at least that’s the current plan (arf).
steve s
Shed dweller

#110 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by steve s »

Ali Tait wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:09 am
jack wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:36 pm
Ali Tait wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:38 pm They are all being shut down.
Spoilsport !
Blame the govmint. :D

All coal fired stations will be gone by 2025, at least that’s the current plan (arf).
Hmmm. Then we'll start getting cloudy, wind less winter days ?
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#111 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Ali Tait »

Little chance of that in Scotland. :D
Neal
Shed dweller

#112 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Neal »

What more could you want! :shock:

Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Neal
Shed dweller

#113 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Neal »

Good watch on the history of the e car

I like the AMC concept

Part 2

Last edited by Neal on Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#114 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Ali Tait »

Some comments from a Model 3 owner-

https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthr ... t!/page347
Greg
Social outcast

#115 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Greg »

Thanks for the link, Ali. Interesting reading. I have to say that much dave2010 says indicates to me that he failed in his considerations on the suitability of a Tesla for his personal needs. Something I paid particular attention to before I committed to buying my car, exactly the same model he has. In particular, if I lived north of Inverness, I probably wouldn’t have chosen a Tesla, infact I probably wouldn’t have chosen an all electric car at all.

Regarding some of his criticisms, I completely disagree with his take on the indicator control. It is on the left steering wheel stalk and in contrast to his findings, I am particularly taken with the smooth easy efficiency of the control. I commented to my wife how much I liked it. I agree on his observations regarding no rear screen wiper, but I can live with (without) it. So far, I have no complaints regarding the automatic wiper function and it can be set to manual if preferred. Likewise with the lights which can be set to auto including auto main beam dip, but this can also be set to a separate manual control so lights work automatically apart from the main beam which can be kept at manual which is how I use it. Surely it is to be expected that if the battery is fully charged, regenerative braking will not work in the sense that no recovered energy can be diverted back into an already full battery. The actual braking is still there, so the ability to drive on the throttle alone and not need to touch the brake pedal remains. Yes, cruise control is a bit different compared with what I previously was used to, but I regard it simply as a feature that requires familiarity of use. I regard the automatic slowdown and distancing when travelling in a line of traffic to be a useful safety feature that I like. The sat nav does use GPS to recognise speed limit changes, but a recent upgrade also gives the speed sign recognition feature. So far I’ve not had a problem with this. Sat nav verbal commands are given in Mike’s and feet. Again, it’s a matter of familiarity and adapting with learning. Shouldn’t be a problem IMO.

dave2010 probably just needs to educate himself better on how his Tesla works and to do a bit of experimenting on how to set it up for his personal convenience. The handbook is 180 pages long and I read it right through before I took delivery of my car and subsequently I’ve read several sections again, often more than once. The Tesla is very different from a conventional car and there is much learning to do, probably more than I’ve ever had to do from the day I first started to drive. It’s worth the effort IMHO, because the more I learn and practice, the more I like my car :D :D :D
Neal
Shed dweller

#116 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Neal »

I have adaptive cruise control on my Golf, I found it one of the best things since sliced bread!
Nick
Site Admin

#117 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

We could have a "hard to get into the seat" competition :-).
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#118 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:44 pm We could have a "hard to get into the seat" competition :-).
Are you a "snug" fit in the Porsche ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#119 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Ali Tait »

Nick wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:44 pm We could have a "hard to get into the seat" competition :-).
I’ll see you and raise you my mates Lotus. :D
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#120 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Ali Tait »

Glad it’s working out for you Greg. Just shows how much personal preference plays a part. For me the range would still be a problem for use as a daily.